Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• some assembly required

Re: It's official--Knott's is dropping theme.

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post

Maybe the "America's First Theme Park" slogan immediately makes some people ask, "What is the best theme park?" Hydrox cookies came before Oreos, but there's no way in he-- I'm subjecting my taste buds to the second best chocolate sandwich cookie out of my love for history.

LOL. Perfect analogy. luvit.

Anyway, IMO, the GP doesn't understand the difference between the semantics of "theme park" and "amusement park", nor do I think they care as us theme park fanatics might. The GP certainly wont analyze it the way us theme park fanatics do. I think KBF is just re-wording to avoid an over used phrase ("theme park"), and using another phrase that has long been out of fashion ("amusement park") in this industry. I am sure it is in no way a sign of future lack of theming, esp since (as someone mentioned above) they have spent quite a bit on refurb'ing many themed aspects for this season. How one can conclude that the theming will slowly disappear in KBF b/c they are choosing to bring "amusement park" back is beyond me! ...and to be so sure about it too... wow.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

Perhaps it's just temporary, but the "America's 1st Theme Park" sign is back over Knott's entrance plaza, 5-28-2012.

Knott's Berry Farm by jericl cat, on Flickr

• Embrace the kitsch!

Sad Re: It's official--Knott's is dropping theme.

I tried, really I did. Encouraged by others' comments, I decided to give Knott's one more chance yesterday. After four hours, I was done.

There's a quote attributed to Marc Davis when he saw the 90's PoTC refurb: "It's like taking a perfect souffle and dumping ketchup on top of it." Now, I wouldn't call Knott's a perfect souffle, more like a big hearty casserole. And since some casseroles do indeed use ketchup, let's use chocolate syrup instead. That is what I saw yesterday: a nice old park, beautifully maintained, looking better than it has in years...w/ a Six Flags slapped over it. Try as I might, I just couldn't get away from the coasters. They were everywhere. Where there weren't coasters, there were coaster support beams: in the native camp, in the stunt arena, in Boot Hill, alongside the train, for crying out loud!

In a strange way, the one on the train exemplifies what's happened to Knott's. If you recall, they used to have a big Grand Canyon diorama (sort of like the one at DL). They took out the front part of the diorama to accommodate a coaster track. I don't know if they were trying to compromise by preserving part of the diorama, but it just came off half-arsed, like they were trying to have their cake and eat it too.

If they wanted to go the big steel route, I frankly would rather they have taken Ghost Town out entirely than randomly drop coasters into the middle of it. Trying to be all things to all people never works.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    If they wanted to go the big steel route, I frankly would rather they have taken Ghost Town out entirely than randomly drop coasters into the middle of it. Trying to be all things to all people never works.
    I think the issue is, is that the Cedar Fair of today, isn't even the one of 5 years ago. 5 years ago, no one cared about theme, and when they bought Knott's - they wanted to operate it like the other Cedar Fair parks. That didn't really work out, people backlashed - and the park suffered. Now, they are trying to go back on the limited budget that they have.

Ouimet and Raffi is doing lots for Knott's right now, but that can't correct what previous staff have done to the park. Just like the Pressler days vs. the Ouimet days - we have the same issue here, just with big coasters instead of shops.
    -Monorail Man

• I am not a Krusty Krab

i love knotts and if the theme was dropped i would stop going. i love rides like the mine train and the log ride. if i want thrills i'll go to magic mountain

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    Ouimet and Raffi is doing lots for Knott's right now, but that can't correct what previous staff have done to the park. Just like the Pressler days vs. the Ouimet days - we have the same issue here, just with big coasters instead of shops.
    Removing the Silver Bullet would go a long way toward restoring the balance. That one coaster has its tendrils all over the park.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMonroe View Post
    i love knotts and if the theme was dropped i would stop going. i love rides like the mine train and the log ride. if i want thrills i'll go to magic mountain
    I love those rides too. Sadly, they're the only dark rides in a park which is primarily coasters and carnival rides, which attract a very different crowd. This was especially evident on the Mine Train, where the guide spent most of the time leading the rowdy riders in chanting "choo-choo" and encouraging them to scream during the dynamiting scene.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Minion

I'm pretty sure the slogan was changed simply because it sounds better. 'Best' sounds better than 'first'...but is Knotts the best theme park in California? Even they know better than to take that title away from their neighbor. So they went with Best Amusement Park, so they can sound glamorous and technically be correct. To most people, it won't even be noticeable or make a difference and if the alteration of the website's description upsets you enough to warrant or visiting anymore then, wow I don't know what'll ever make you happy hahaha.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    Removing the Silver Bullet would go a long way toward restoring the balance. That one coaster has its tendrils all over the park.

I love those rides too. Sadly, they're the only dark rides in a park which is primarily coasters and carnival rides, which attract a very different crowd. This was especially evident on the Mine Train, where the guide spent most of the time leading the rowdy riders in chanting "choo-choo" and encouraging them to scream during the dynamiting scene.
    lol whatever keeps the ride open

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12