Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Embrace the kitsch!

Get Rid of Silver Bullet

The ironically named Silver Bullet has shot itself right through the heart of KBF. This thing looms over the park like a facehugger alien, its tentacles reaching into every area destroying theme and ruining sightlines. No matter where you go, there it is. That may be fine for a straight big steel park, but Knott's seems to want one foot in the theme camp.

Ghost Rider makes a fine signature coaster for the park. Getting rid of Silver Bullet would help restore the period feel to Ghost Town.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

Re: Get Rid of Silver Bullet

I like the coaster itself. I do agree the placement is kinda meh.
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

I could see moving it into a different area, they actually have a lot of underutilized space they could develop. But getting rid of it completely, I don't think so. As far as Ghostrider being a signature ride, IMHO it needs the Rocky Mountain Construction Co conversion to re attain that.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

i'll say this in spanish: NO!!!
    now i'll say it in italian: NO!!!
    now english: NO!!!!
    now russian: NIET!!!!
    now french: NO!!!!!

all the languages agree: NO!!! im kidding. it is an eye sore but i love that ride. i would miss it but then again we still have Batman at Magic Mountain

GRAZZI

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    I could see moving it into a different area, they actually have a lot of underutilized space they could develop. But getting rid of it completely, I don't think so. As far as Ghostrider being a signature ride, IMHO it needs the Rocky Mountain Construction Co conversion to re attain that.
    What different area? That's the problem: it's in every area. I kept walking around the park, seeing these coaster supports, wondering what they were for, and then I realized they're all for the SB! I swear, it felt like the darn thing was following me!
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

A lot of people seem to overlook the "backstage area" that once was the food processing facilities (yes they actually made the jams and preserves on property at one time). Most of it is used to store haunt materials now, which is a waste of revenue generating real estate. I've heard rumblings in the recent past that Cedar Fair is looking at expanding the park into this area.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Hard for me to comment on the placing since I just go during the haunt but for the ride itself...pretty fun

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    A lot of people seem to overlook the "backstage area" that once was the food processing facilities (yes they actually made the jams and preserves on property at one time). Most of it is used to store haunt materials now, which is a waste of revenue generating real estate. I've heard rumblings in the recent past that Cedar Fair is looking at expanding the park into this area.
    The backstage areas of Knott's are packed to the rafters with offices and warehouses for merchandise, entertainment, costumes, and park decorations. They're not being wasted — not at all.

Sure a warehouse can be moved offsite, but the expense and travel between the park and the park's offices/storage would be ridiculous.

As for building a coaster on top of all that — I'm also not a fan. Part of the joy of riding high on any coaster is looking down at the landscape far below your feet. The backstage landscape should stay backstage.

Rather than move Silver Bullet, I'd vote to move Pony Express. It's more invasive than Bullet as it sits right on top of Ghost Town's Boot Hill cemetery.

The expenses in transporting material is not as great as you might expect, whether it's done in house or contracted out. The profits from the additional revenue generated from the expanded area can more than offset that. There is underutilized property on the opposite side of Western Ave (employee parking and overflow), as is there land by the horse stables behind the Claim Jumper. It wouldn't be a great shake to place the fabrication shops in either location. Using that amount of space for warehousing within the resort area is just a waste of revenue generating property, and I know for a fact that re developing that area was seriously being considered by Jack Falfas' before his untimely dismissal.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    The ironically named Silver Bullet has shot itself right through the heart of KBF. This thing looms over the park like a facehugger alien, its tentacles reaching into every area destroying theme and ruining sightlines. No matter where you go, there it is. That may be fine for a straight big steel park, but Knott's seems to want one foot in the theme camp.

Ghost Rider makes a fine signature coaster for the park. Getting rid of Silver Bullet would help restore the period feel to Ghost Town.
    I hated the way this loud ride roared past during the Wild West stunt show.
    And this is probably because I'm middle aged, but it spun too much for me.
    I prefer Jaguar, Xcelerator and even the Pony Express--if you get there when the park opens and they let you go around twice. Replace it with a western themed haunted house that outdoes the Haunted Mansion (my all-time favorite attraction).

Of course, if I were 18 I'd love it the way I loved Magic Mountain's Viper when it opened.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I hated the way this loud ride roared past during the Wild West stunt show.
    I agree it was a very loud and intrusive experience being built right next to the Stunt Show. I'll be in favour of them tearing down most of the steel rides and coasters inside that park. Most of them offer a very poor experience when it comes to thrills anyway. Knott's is one very confused park. It seems to want to promote itself as a Family park. But mostly offers rides and experiences that attract thrill seekers. Surely Cedar has other parks it can send some of these rides too. And that would free space up to start putting some dark rides inside the park.

Had it been built over near Xcelerator, no big deal as you could have made that corner the "extreme thrills" section of the park. As others have said, it's placement is terrible and destroys so much of the atmosphere that area used to have.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by lynxwiler View Post
    Rather than move Silver Bullet, I'd vote to move Pony Express. It's more invasive than Bullet as it sits right on top of Ghost Town's Boot Hill cemetery.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86
    Replace it with a western themed haunted house
    Bring back the Haunted Shack!

Forget the Silver Bullet. Do something with that freaking KOD building. How has that not been made into a new ride is mind blowing. It's been 8 years and it continues to rot.

I'd gladly give up SB in exchange for a bigger lake, boat ride, laser water show and Mission dioramas, but it's never going to happen.

It's my understanding that Knott's did NOT buy the Hurlbut property - why, I can't imagine considering it's history and proximity. Wonder if that could have freed up more onsite backstage space?
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast