• Circle of Ancients

California's Great America to open Tallest/Fastest Wooden Coaster in Northern CA

This is going to be a FANTASTIC addition to a park that has needed a new ride for far too long.

Tallest And Fastest Wooden Roller Coaster In Northern California To Open... -- SANTA CLARA, Calif., Aug. 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --

SANTA CLARA, Calif., Aug. 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- California's Great America will open the tallest and fastest wooden roller coaster in Northern California in the spring of 2013.

High-speed twists, turns, drops, station fly-by and the Old West are the top features of Gold Striker, currently under construction at Northern California's leading thrill park and family destination. The ride will stand 108 feet at its highest point with a first drop of 103 feet at a 50-degree angle. Riders will careen along 3,197 feet of track at speeds up to 54 miles per hour. The ride experience on Gold Striker will last more than two heart-pounding minutes.

"Gold Striker reflects our commitment to providing our guests with the best thrills and entertainment value in the region," California's Great America Vice-President and General Manager Raul Rehnborg said. "This ride was uniquely designed by melding together the highest performing and most exciting features of the very best wooden roller coasters in the world. Everyone who enjoys the thrills of riding a roller coaster will want to experience Gold Striker."

The name of the ride was chosen to recognize the pioneering and adventurous spirit of the California gold-seekers who rushed the area in 1849.
    Gold Striker will be located in the Celebration Plaza area of California's Great America and will be the park's eighth roller coaster. The ride will wrap around the park's Star Tower attraction.
    Virtual On-Ride from the park:

Virtual Off-Ride from our friends at Theme Park Review:
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 08-29-2012 at 11:29 AM.

• Grim Grinning

Re: California's Great America to open Tallest/Fastest Wooden Coaster in Northern CA

I heard they were closing the park after this season. I'm glad this isn't the case; I grew up about 20 minutes from there and Top Gun was my first coaster. Can't wait to see this open!

• Circle of Ancients

Re: California's Great America to open Tallest/Fastest Wooden Coaster in Northern CA

^ Nope, once the 49ers decided to build their new stadium there the park was essentially saved. Also a few potential buyers of the park backed out and Cedar Fair ended up keeping the park.

This new addition, considering it's a wooden coaster and not a Steel coaster that could easily be moved, should show the chains commitment to the park.

It will be interesting to see if the park will be expanding their operating schedule once the new stadium opens. Would be kind of odd to have 70,000 people in the surrounding area every Sunday and not have the park open. I'm sure there will be some kind of "combo" ticket to include the game and the park. I know I'd personally be down for that.

• Hello Dolly.

So excited about this ride!
    Looks like a great addition.

They need a LOT of work done to the park. It is in a bad state.... actually this has been the case for years and nothing has changed. I'm from the Bay Area and went back to the park after not going for 7+ years. The workers were rude (yes they are young teens, but it shows they are led by example), everything needs a paint job and the only area that looked "fresh" was the Survivor ride. If they want to take advantage of more people coming to the park because of the 49er stadium, they better get management and Cedar Fair to care about it first.
    DL Trips: '86, '87, '88, '89, '91, '92, '93, '94, '95, '96, '97, '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13...

Quote Originally Posted by Explicit View Post
    They need a LOT of work done to the park. It is in a bad state.... actually this has been the case for years and nothing has changed. I'm from the Bay Area and went back to the park after not going for 7+ years. The workers were rude (yes they are young teens, but it shows they are led by example), everything needs a paint job and the only area that looked "fresh" was the Survivor ride. If they want to take advantage of more people coming to the park because of the 49er stadium, they better get management and Cedar Fair to care about it first.
    It could also because of rude guests. I worked there for three years. I tried my best on having a high standard in guests services, sometime quests are difficult to satisfy. I did worked with some young teens that were not good, they did not reflect the supervisors.

What happened with you and the rude workers?
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

I have not been back to the park since the Survivor ride opened, and I really had no intention of never going back. The park was dirty, the patrons were rude, and honestly it was not the park I had fond memories of.

Now.....I am heading back next year! VERY excited for this ride!