Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Greetings, Program!

Riders trapped on Windseeker since 4:00pm - 9-19-12

Park is desperately trying to figure out how to get the riders down. Fire Department cannot reach. They are simply too high.

"The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Just drawn that way

Re: Riders trapped on Windseeker since 4:00pm - 9-19-12

Been dreading this happening since it opened, only I figured I'd be riding it when it happened. Does anyone know the details? Are they off?

• Disney/WWE/Anime fan

this is what the second time this month for this ride..
    i hope people doesnt suffer too much from health or exposure to heat for any longer tonight

Well now it's getting dark. Last time I rode it on Thursday of last week it freaked me out in the matter that the chairs once we were up there and going around to move so much that the one in front of us nearly would bump into ours. What worries me is this is the second time that this has happened. Knott's should have a plan by now. Obviously fire fighters can't reach that high its a given. But what's troubling is the fact that they should be able to manually lower them down and yet they are stuck up there. This is why I have begun to think about riding it in the future.

• Greetings, Program!

As odd as it may sound to say.....could be worse.

High temp today was 89. Last Saturday things topped out around these parts at 105! Exposure in that kind of heat for 3+ hours may surely have resulted in a death or two.
    The ride stopped later in the day. At least the riders got some relief as the sun went down.

When the local news signed off here at 7pm, no progress had been reported. As far as we know, they're still up there - 300 feet off the ground.

---------- Post added 09-19-2012 at 08:21 PM ----------

Updated at 7:56 pm. Sounds like they're still up there.

Knott's ride again strands passengers 300 feet above ground | ride, park, riders - News - The Orange County Register

Correction:
    Published: Sept. 19, 2012 Updated: 10:13 p.m.
    The riders got off the attraction about 7:45 p.m., after it was lowered to the ground
    The ride will remain closed while park officials investigate the incident, Blazey said.
    Article goes on to state that this is the second time in two weeks this has happened on the same ride.

Let the PR fun begin.
    Last edited by Ortizmo2000; 09-19-2012 at 09:26 PM.

• Minion

Sorry for the dumb question, but aren't there supposed to be evacuation facilities that are built in to the design of the ride, right from the beginning of the design phase?

• Greetings, Program!

You'd think so.

• Just drawn that way

Anyone know how long they were up there? I am sure they are down by now......

I think the 20 people were stuck for three hours as the sun set. Must have been quite a pretty view, but after three hours I know I would have had to pee like a racehorse.

• Just drawn that way

Wow.....just...wow.

• will-o-the-whip

Strange how Alice's outdoor track was so 'dangerous' that it needed rails, but this thing is deemed safe? Government agencies are looking at the wrong potential hazards. This ride seems to have had more than its standard share of problems, is a safety hazard, and a potential nightmare waiting to happen. It's close to the point where Knott's should just junk the ride.

Note for future reference to Knott's: it's much easier to evacuate people from a dark ride when it breaks down.

How did they get them down?
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

The scary thing is there are other models that will be going into other parks. If this one has these sort of problems I do NOT want to ride any Windseeker type attractions. The ride as its going up makes very loud noises (more so now than when it first opened I believe). I mean you can hear it when you're aways away even.

from the little bit I saw on the news they did apparently "manually" or somehow get it to safe mode because the news stated it took at least 10 minutes for it to come down. Normal ride operation once it's done at the top it comes down a bit faster than that obviously.

I think Knott's needs to figure out WHY this keeps happening on this ride and fix the issue IF it can be fixed. I do not feel the ride should be scrapped BUT I do feel that there should be some sort of safety net or something in place incase this happens again and riders get stuck 300 feet in the air.

Knotts' WindSeeker shut down after passengers left hanging in air

Knott’s Berry Farm’s popular WindSeeker attraction remained closed Thursday after 20 passengers were left dangling 300 feet in the air after the thrill ride malfunctioned late Wednesday afternoon.
    None of the passengers were injured, though some endured a wait of up to 3 1/2 hours before being lowered to the ground.
    Thursday, maintenance workers tried to determine why the ride -- billed as giving passengers an exhilarating sense of “free flight” -- stopped functioning after a security system was activated.

It was the second time this month that the attraction has been shut down. It was shut down for three hours on Sept. 7 after similar problems.
    Each ride at the Buena Park amusement destination is inspected daily, Knotts Berry Farm said in a statement.
    One of the rescued riders said there was an unexpected upside to the ordeal.
    "The first half an hour was pretty rough on me. I have a fear of heights,” rider Donna Garrison told KABC-TV . “I was on it because my husband wanted to train me to get over my fear of heights.
    “By the end,” she added, “I was."
    The WindSeeker goes in a circular motion, taking passengers 300 feet into the air at 25 mph in two-person gondolas.

Knotts' WindSeeker shut down after passengers left hanging in air - latimes.com

• Circle of Ancients

Overall the ride performed exactly the way it was supposed to. It stopped due to an error, which was supposed to happen. It didn't drop to the ground as many people in the media were speculating.

I even heard the Channel 5 guy say "I"m sure there is something there to keep the ride from plummeting to the ground". Oh ... ya think!?!?!

Yes, they need to figure out a way to get people down sooner should this happen again, and obviously they need to figure out why it keeps happening.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast