Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: My Knott's Haunt Review 9-22-12

Ah, disappointing they changed the MC walk through to no photos: the past two years were allowed to take such in the pre-opening walk through yes. Thank you for clarifying! And yes, general low-light photography in the streets can be tricky to get good shots....

Ya it was the reason why was that they didn't want anything going onto the Internet and spoiling it for those who haven't gone to Haunt. What I don't get is there was media day and of course a ton of video and pictures were all over the Internet. So I really don't see how that would have ruined anything for anyone. Oh well. And the funny thing was we were only told this when my husband was taking pictures and I think they thought we were taking pictures of Ghostrider which at the time never opened until much later in Haunt. Earlier in the day here was a crane and what looked like pieces of wood being replaced. But that's besides the point. My camera does very well in low lighting however my iPhone does not.

• Sondheimian

Alright, I just gotta ask, are there ANY spiders in Trapped?
    “To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney

TL59 NO spiders that I remember in TRAPPED. We were so sleep deprived and exhausted from the night before at Horror Nights that I think it made TRAPPED that much more freaky for us. It's all a blurr to be honest. But NO spiders. I'm glad we will be doing it again on Halloween because we were actually giggling and laughing thru some of it including a room I don't want to spoil for anyone. Just brought back memories of trying this ourselves when younger. All I will say. You will have a blast in TRAPPED. Trust me. It's definitely worth the money. Make sure you read the waiver because the top part of it is hilarious. They even make fun of Disney. Ha ha.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    And Spankyourtank (Is that name on your diplomas---just curious?), the great stunt man I'm referring to was probably about 5 foot seven, he may have been half Latino or--who knows. Good luck guessing my national origin. In the western stunt shows in 2011 he was the shortest of the stuntmen and could do flips well. He was put in charge of two other western soldiers who weren't eager to follow his orders. Wacky hijinks ensued.
    That guy was in the stunt show on Memorial Day. Unless he moved on over the summer, he's still there. I remember they kidded his height, too. "Let's play Hunger Games! I'll be Katniss and you'll be Shortness."
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Doombuggy Rider

JCruise86 - Knott's looking even further into its past? .......... Or get a great Wolfman Jack imitator (Good luck finding anyone who can do that voice two two nights in a row!) to play his ghost and maybe have an Elvira impersonator too. ("Technically, I'm not dead yet. Just mostly artificial.")

If one looks further into the past history of the Halloween Haunt, they could be paying homage to the various Mazes and Celebrities who helped MC (Wolfman Jack was one, but there was also a Los Angeles TV Horror Host who helped MC the event for 3 Days in October when the event began - his name escapes me even though he was dressed like the phantom wearing a fedora & yes I do brain f a r t @ my age but some will even remember when Weird Al Yankovic played live during the Halloween Haunt) ...

As for some of the changes which have taken place within Knotts Berry Farm, I will admit that I wish Reflection Lake had been left alone along with Our Little Chapel nearby (@ least Cedar Fair fixed up Ghost Town, finally) ...

Knott's - still plenty of fun @ the fraction of the cost for Disneyland / DCA

C J

Name:  card00637_fr.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  46.4 KB

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

• Doombuggy Rider

sir clinksalot "darkamor, Mine Train is NOT themed. In fact, they do the same spiel they always do. Took me totally out of "Haunt" when we rode .... I'm torn on the Mine Train. Every year people complain that the Mine Train is lame, because it usually is. But I guess you never realize what you have until it's gone .... The rumors are that the Mine Train and Log Ride are going to get very extensive rehabs that will include provisions for installing Haunt Overlays. If this is true it could come back better than ever."

As much as I got a kick out of the deadite theme (that's right, there was an Evil Dead theme through out the Mine Train for many years), I will admit there were times the effects et al were groan inducing bad (I will still ride the Mine Train, because its one of several things "to do" every single time I go to Knott's, along with the Log Ride) and you are correct ... you never realize what you have until it's gone (ie Knott's Bear-y Tales). The Calico Mine Train is 52 years old, while the Timber Mountain Log Ride is 43 years old - and both deserve to be "preserved with updated animatronics / audio" (praise Wendell "Bud" Hurlbut for helping design and build both Rides, who passed away last year @ the age of 92) ...

Name:  wendell_bud_hurlbut_log_ride.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  57.5 KB

madmonkeygirl, "... I just don't get that it is a big year - the 40th - yet they did NOT do anything with the mine train; nor have souvenir cups; which quite a few voiced their opinions on. It wouldn't hurt Knott's to keep the cups. After all they were selling quite a few of the regular ones .... I'd give anything to either have Curse of the Spiderwoods back; or the Unleashed one on the mine train. As lame as those were, at least it was something. To not have anything at all is just - I feel like something is missing from Haunt. Don't get me wrong, at least the log ride is themed and we had a great ride on it on Saturday."

Although I won't be @ Knott's until October 4th (the hard part about being out of State is it's impossible for me to get out here in September for the events opening weekend), I've read enough posts regarding the fact this 40th Anniversary of the Halloween Haunt didn't live up to the expectations of many. Although I can accept an unthemed Calico Mine Train Ride, even I am left shocked that Knott's did not include a souvenir mug for Boo-fet pre scare dinner attendees (I'm guessing this was a cost cutting move on Knott's part, which I hope they don't repeat next year - if Knott's management actually pays attention to the criticism from park guests). What's been missing from the Halloween Haunt for several years is a scary - graphic atmosphere that it used to be (neutering things down so that parents can take their 13 year olds shouldn't have been Cedar Fair's top priority, they could've maintained a "toned down" experience during the daytime that most families would've been fine with) ....

Remember Black Widow's Cavern ? (I know, air driven pneumatic spiders, but it's better then nothing - right?)

aashee; "Seeing it's their big 40th anniversary; and it was the Mine Ride and Log Ride that were the first Halloween themed attractions....having nothing for the Mine Ride, and a bad overlay for the Log Ride, was really bad form."

I haven't read enough about the Timber Mountain Log Ride, except that there is an Evil Dead theme (licensed from the remake getting released in 2013). It's usually featured great decor around the queue line area, and depending on what day you attended the Halloween Haunt ... either the live surprises were better then the animatronics, or vice versa (I'd hate to think there is a lack of theming, or a lack of animatromics / live surprises, as that would be one loud criticism I would hope Knott's management pays attention to) ....

2010's Sleepy Hollow Mountain was a good theme (maybe Knott's doesn't need movie tie-ins like Universal does)

RegionsBeyond;".... official policy is now that monsters won't pose with guests for photos per Knotts, but is it more than hearsay that none allowed at all in general? No other sources been saying that and been photos taken by other websites and instagram users, for instance and posted. So wondering if this is in fact being reported rather 'muddled' or they're literally asking guests to not take any photos just out on the street (not just flash photos in mazes and things like that). As that would make customers rather unhappy."

My rule has always been to ask the Monsters 1st before taking a picture (and trying not to bombard them with flash so that they're not blind the rest of the night), the same policy has been for the Mazes, too (I can respect Knott's decision to not have too much revealed so that the experience isn't spoiled for the fans, but good publicity requires pictures and videos and bad word of mouth travels faster). While I was reading reviews here on Mice Chat, there are plenty of videos on youtube, as well as photos on flickr / instagram (I only viewed enough to get an idea of what looked interesting vs. what to avoid so that I can manage my time better). I believe documenting your experience at the Halloween Haunt is essential (but I certainly don't ruin the experience for park guests by taking pictures and or video everywhere I go). Anyone else want to offer up their experience taking pictures, or filming video?

I've seen criticism about The Hanging, yet nothing about the Midnight Hanging involving the Green Witch

Name:  40.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  39.0 KB

C J

The Midnight Witch Hanging I only saw from afar unfortunately because we were waiting to go into Trapped. However our next visit on Oct 21st we definitely plan on seeing it. It's more simister and what used to be at Haunt way back when it first started. So I'm happy to see Knott's going back to its origins of Haunt.

Black Widows Cavern aka Mine Ride in years past at least it was something. As cheesy as it was it did make the Mine Ride a Haunt offering and after Haunt its difficult to ride the Mine Ride regular but I'm usually still easily able to be scared regardless. I just hope NEXT year that the Mine Aride will have a theme to it. What I don't get is this year is a BIG year for Haunt oh well.

As far as toning down Haunt so parents can bring their children under 13 well that's the parents decision. Knott's shouldn't have to tone anything down to satisfy parents bringing a child under the recommended age. Universal has been constantly reminding parents about the age limit and we even saw on opening night a chainsaw carrying clown following a mother her two younger daughters and she had a little one in a stroller. I mean there are reasons why it's not recommended for children under 13. Now there are children who may understand and get the whole concept and I've seen how well they can handle Halloween events but there are quite a few who just don't. They should be left at home. We shouldn't have to suffer scary wise because of that.

I know quite a few were contacting Knott's about the lack of souviner bottles at the buffet this year. If Knott's wanted to cut back on costs ok fine. But this year is their 40th and I just feel those souviner bottles would have made a lot of guests happy. I mean even the regular ones they sell inside the park (yes we broke down and got a generic Knott's one) could have been something this year. Heck it is the year of the Green Witch they could have played on the theme/icon and made money off of it. I'm not going to hold my breathe that they come back in time for my next visit this year. Just hope would complain that next year they bring them back. Like I said I would it mind paying a few more dollars to get a bottle. I was expecting to pay a bit more anyways.

Definitely remember not to use flash when taking pictures. It's more difficult to get your picture taken with the monsters this year but I saw a couple allowing their pictures with guests. I think it just all depends. Plus I agree there are so many videos pictures out there on the Internet like Haunt and what takes place including the mazes are NOT a secret anymore. Most things were too dark to get anyways because I had my iPhone and I will not use flash.

Darkamor are you doing TRAPPED? I would definitely recommend it and make sure you have advanced reservations. You can get those online at Knott's website. It's well worth the money and we are doing it again on Halloween night.

• Doombuggy Rider

Quote Originally Posted by madmonkeygirl View Post
    The Midnight Witch Hanging I only saw from afar unfortunately because we were waiting to go into Trapped. However our next visit on Oct 21st we definitely plan on seeing it. It's more sinister and what used to be at Haunt way back when it first started. So I'm happy to see Knott's going back to its origins of Haunt ....

Thank you for giving me a taste of what to expect when waiting for the Midnight Hanging (I applaud bringing back the Green Witch, I hope she returns next year with improvements made to what many are criticizing about). I didn't mind the lampooning of pop culture over the years, I just grew disappointed when the blood effects were watered down (blood is red, not clear liquid (lol). I'm all for returning the original concepts (and the installation of a Halloween Haunt Museum) ....

Black Widows Cavern aka Mine Ride in years past at least it was something. As cheesy as it was it did make the Mine Ride a Haunt offering and after Haunt its difficult to ride the Mine Ride regular but I'm usually still easily able to be scared regardless. I just hope NEXT year that the Mine Aride will have a theme to it. What I don't get is this year is a BIG year for Haunt oh well.

The Calico Mine Train Ride remains a favorite for me (its on par with getting funnel cake @ Knott's). I am disappointed that there was no attempt to theme this Ride for the Halloween Haunt (if Cedar Fair is saving their budget to give this Ride some more tlc? I'll accept that for this year, but I expect Knott's Management ought to pay attention to the criticism and make sure that a real 40th Anniversary occurs in 2013) ...

Knott's shouldn't have to tone anything down to satisfy parents bringing a child under the recommended age. Universal has been constantly reminding parents about the age limit and we even saw on opening night a chainsaw carrying clown following a mother her two younger daughters and she had a little one in a stroller. I mean there are reasons why it's not recommended for children under 13. Now there are children who may understand and get the whole concept and I've seen how well they can handle Halloween events but there are quite a few who just don't. They should be left at home. We shouldn't have to suffer scary wise because of that.

As someone who's been attending since 1986, various things have been toned down (but there have also been improvements to mazes, shows and wandering characters). I don't blame Knott's, I blame Cedar Fair - along with Parents who ought to know better then to take their children to an event that is obviously meant for young adults and older (ie its like taking kids to an R rated movie when common sense would tell you they're not ready for that). I'm not a parent, but I wouldn't take my Nephews (who are 6 & 8) to anything except daytime Knott's Berry Farm and Camp Spooky (and I won't take them to Knott's Scary Farm until they are @ least 16 / 17).

I know quite a few were contacting Knott's about the lack of souvenir bottles at the buffet this year. If Knott's wanted to cut back on costs? ok fine. But this year is their 40th and I just feel those souvenir bottles would have made a lot of guests happy. I mean even the regular ones they sell inside the park (yes we broke down and got a generic Knott's one) could have been something this year. Heck it is the year of the Green Witch, they could have played on the theme / icon and made money off of it. I'm not going to hold my breathe that they come back in time for my next visit this year. I just hope that next year they bring them back. Like I said, I would't mind paying a few more dollars to get a bottle, I was expecting to pay a bit more anyways.

I actually spoke with Friends who attended the pre-scare Boo fet / Knott's Scary Farm on Thursday November 27. It
    appears park guests complaints are being heard loud und proud because guests were given a free Snoopy Cup (no, its not 40th Anniversary Halloween Haunt Themed - which is a shame because I expect to see plenty of merchandise when I attend on October 4th as I plan on purchasing a tshirt and hoodie - but its a free cup with a free refill voucher). I'd prefer Knott's to explain their snafu (I noticed the price for the Boo-fet is cheaper this year) vs. rumors, but it won't take long after 1,000's of fans comment on their Facebook page before Knott's should post an official announcement regarding their snafus this year (I <3 the Green Witch, I hope she stays for the remainder of this decade) ....

Definitely remember not to use flash when taking pictures. It's more difficult to get your picture taken with the monsters this year but I saw a couple allowing their pictures with guests. I think it just all depends. Plus I agree there are so many videos pictures out there on the Internet like Haunt and what takes place including the mazes are NOT a secret anymore. Most things were too dark to get anyways because I had my iPhone and I will not use flash.

I'm actually surprised that taking a picture has become such a hot issue (its certainly not an issue @ Six Flags Magic Mountain, Universal Studios Hollywood, Disneyland during their October evenings) but I will take what pictures I can in Ghost Town (post Boo fet) & I only take pictures of the Maze Entrance / Maze Exit (I agree, its too dark most of the time to try and document the inside of a Maze - plus, I want to enjoy said Maze without halting foot traffic (lol). The most important thing I believe Knott's should be concerned about is negative word of mouth (& right now? I've heard more complaints about the Timberland Log Ride's lack of theming this year then any other Ride (or Maze) and I feel its up to Knott's to issue a statement for this snafu vs rumors explaining why not enough was done ....

Darkamor are you doing TRAPPED? I would definitely recommend it and make sure you have advanced reservations. You can get those online at Knott's website. It's well worth the money and we are doing it again on Halloween night.
    I'm going solo (which I don't mind as single rider gets me on most rides quickly), so I think Trapped! will have to wait until next year (I am hoping there are trick-or-treat bags left as I want to purchase one to enjoy an enhanced Trick Or Treat Maze experience - I <3 the idea behind this & I think it could replace the 3D Mazes with their 3D Glasses - a concept I believe needs to be removed as it slows down foot traffic in a Maze) ....

I will say as a Las Vegas resident that I just got back from FRIGHT DOME (its inside Circus Circus' Adventure Dome and is celebrating 10 years in 2012) and I encourage all out of State visitors to check out it. Last night, we had both Linda Blair and Elvira @ the premiere event (George A. Romero designed one of the mazes / fright zones, he will be making an appearance in October). I will also encourage everyone to please skip Eli Roth's Goretorium (a complete overpriced disaster that Las Vegas Locals are publicly boycotting) unless you <3 paying $40 - $60 to enter only 1 out of 9 mazes (if you want to try the other 8? you have to pay again in order to enter them! all of the mazes exit into a dining / shopping area that was worst then a McDonalds / Walmart - overpriced and filled with poor quality merchandise). Most important? I hope everyone has fun in October (& please share other haunted events you <3 to attend) ...

C J

Fright Dome : Ranked One Of The Top 5 Scariest Haunted Attractions In The Nation Only At Circus Circus: Las Vegas

"but it won't take long after 1,000's of fans comment on their Facebook page before Knott's should post an official announcement regarding the snafus this year. "

Don't count on it. Facebook seems like it gives the public a open dialouge with a company, but they squash dissent out pretty quicky. Somebody on fb made the coment that the "log ride sucked " and I replied "Of course it seemed thrown together, it was put up less than a week before Haunt. Knott's, you're no longer the only game in town; you need to start providing your customers with a better product. "

No profaity or rudeness, just constructive criticism ...and my coment was removed and I was blocked from making coments or even liking things on their page. It saddens me because Knotts has been an anual tradition and with them removing Wednesday nights and not theming the mine train, that's two traditions squashed from the start.
    Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

As far as the Calico Mine Ride and the Log Ride not being part of Haunt as in the past, this was more or less brought on by DOSH. They didn't like having the talent working within what is referred to as the "ride envelope" in low or next to no light. It's an accident waiting to happen. Yes as far as we know there hasn't been an incident, but that doesn't mean that it can't or won't. Having experienced both these rides during Haunt over the last five years I can see where the concerns are. A misstep or if their timing was just a bit off could cause serious injury or worse to them or a guest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    As far as the Calico Mine Ride and the Log Ride not being part of Haunt as in the past, this was more or less brought on by DOSH. They didn't like having the talent working within what is referred to as the "ride envelope" in low or next to no ttlight. It's an accident waiting to happen. Yes as far as we know there hasn't been an incident, but that doesn't mean that it can't or won't. Having experienced both these rides during Haunt over the last five years I can see where the concerns are. A misstep or if their timing was just a bit off could cause serious injury or worse to them or a guest.
    But the log ride and mine train have never succeeded based on actors. The great years have had fun animatronics and set designs. The jumping/spraying spider, the headless horeseman, the pumpkin arch, the giant wolf mouth in Redmoon Masacre....these are what I remember, not people with flashlights. Knotts got lazy.
    Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

Ya what would make it I think MUCh scarier is to have the Mine Ride No spiel from the driver, add some scary music, maybe some lights but mainly as dark as they can get away with. Much better than monsters popping out at you.

Went to Horror Nights last night. Parents had little ones yes one girl was maybe 5 and she was petrified exiting House of Horror's remix. There was one dad carrying Jo,ding his two year old asleep in his arms at the enterance to La Llorona. Thankfully the employee wouldn't allow him to enter the maze because one of the rules is "no carrying children". He stood there arguing with the employee before finally moving over to the side to wait for the rest of his party. I mean parents come on you can shell out money to go to an event you can pay for a baby sitter for one evening.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123