• Minion

Game plan for Scary Farm

Does anyone have any suggestions on a game plan for this years Knott's Scary Farm for someone who is doing the pre-scare buffet? We usually start with the Mine Train and the Log Ride, where should we head after that?
    Jeff Wayne

Re: Game plan for Scary Farm

Hello Jeff, hope you have a great time! First off, the Mine Ride is NOT decorated this year! It is open & running, just nothing different from the daytime ride! My advice would be to go to the Pinnochio Unstrung maze 1st (inside Wilderness Dance Hall). I was there both Friday & Sat nights, w/ pre-scare buffets, and rope drop was about 6:40 pm. For both nights, the only things running were the Pinocchio maze & the (non-Haunted) mine ride. All the other mazes & rides (incl log ride)opened @ 7. Depending on your preferences, I'd suggest Pinocchio maze, then log ride (Evil Dead themed), or the mystery lodge maze (Terror of London). In any case, try to get a spot near the front of the rope for the pre-opening-show, where you'll be introduced to the "tricksters", a new street talent element! Hope this helps!

---------- Post added 09-24-2012 at 03:37 PM ----------

Actually, I just re-read your post, & see you were asking for park touring ideas. Well, I've been going to the Haunt off and on since '79, and have worked out a plan that always served me well. After the pre-scare buffet, I stop 1st at the Wilderness Hall maze, as this is usually one of the more popular mazes - this year is no exception! Then moving clockwise, you come to Mystery Lodge's maze. Then, still clockwise padt the raft ride, you get to the bumper cars maze (Dia de Los Muertos). Now, having already done 3 mazes, I'd next do the Mine Ride & Log Rides-both lines are long but move relatively fast, compared to maze lines. As I previously mentioned, you should skip the mine ride, as it's not "haunted" at all this year. After the log ride head up towards Excelerator for the clown maze, then straight down to the Fiesta Village shops area for the Virus Z/Carrie finale maze, then down thru Camp Spooky towards the main entrance for the maze there, then up along the lake for the maze located there, then towards GhostRider, where the last 4 mazes are located. For the 1st one on the left, Trick or Treat, you can buy a $10 ToT bag (ie a Haunt sling-style backpack w/ a mask-on-a-stick), which you then proceed to 3 stations (2 b4 maze, 1 after) to get 40th Haunt stuff (I got a deck of cards, a keychain, & a cool looking glass skull shotglass, pretty good for $10!). At this point you'll have been on the 1 haunted ride, & 12 mazes; the 13th, Trapped, is the VIP maze, it's located in the lazer tag/Kingdom of the Dinosaurs area. If you want to do it (I highly recommend it, if you like the regular mazes), you should pre-register; it's $60 per group 1 to 6 people, if you buy on day of attendance, price is $75. It's $60/$75 per group, whether you're solo or have up to five others in your group. Now, that plan I just shared w/ you was figured out when GhostRider had only 1 maze, not 4, but I think it will still be effective. Of course, if you have a show or a non-haunted ride you don't want to miss (ie my little sister HAS to ride Supreme Scream, even on Haunt Nights), you should adjust accordingly. Happy Haunting!

• Minion

Thank you so much for the helpful info! That is such a bummer about the Mine Ride!
    Jeff Wayne

• former CM

Game plan for Scary Farm

Hello, Ghost Host Jeff!

Here are some of my tips:

1. Go as far before Halloween as possible for smaller crowds and fresher monsters.

2. Reserve for the earliest (5pm) pre-scare buffet. They were very laid back about reservation times the night I went, but this might enlarge your entering options.

3. Before the Pre-Scare Boo-fet, stop in TGIF across the street for a beer.

4. While eating, plan your maze plan of attack, and try to hit the newer ones earlier. Finish eating by 6:30 or 6:40 for the rope drop.

5. Do the "maze death march" and take a short break or two for some free glasses of ice water from any refreshment window in the park. Again, go on all of the mazes first and maybe the Evil Dead Log ride ASAP too. (Bring flip flops to change into of you ride the logs so you don't have wet, stinky feet all night. Monsters are people too.) Then go to the SECOND showing of the Hanging. If you go to the first one the maze lines will grow while you're at the show. Again, mazes first, shows second. If you do this there is probably no need for a front-of-the-line pass. We took a break and were among the first in front of the hanging stage at 9pm for the 9:30 show. We got to sit on the fence in front of the stage. We almost got splattered by blood.

6. Look out for show recommendations on Micechat. Ed Alonzo is good, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were a couple of better acts.

7. Maybe stay at a hotel nearby to minimize potential contact with drunk Sat. night drivers.

8. Report back to us the next day on how it went.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Hello, Ghost Host Jeff!

Here are some of my tips:

1. Go as far before Halloween as possible for smaller crowds and fresher monsters.

2. Reserve for the earliest (5pm) pre-scare buffet. They were very laid back about reservation times the night I went, but this might enlarge your entering options.

3. Before the Pre-Scare Boo-fet, stop in TGIF across the street for a beer.

4. While eating, plan your maze plan of attack, and try to hit the newer ones earlier. Finish eating by 6:30 or 6:40 for the rope drop.

5. Do the "maze death march" and take a short break or two for some free glasses of ice water from any refreshment window in the park. Again, go on all of the mazes first and maybe the Evil Dead Log ride ASAP too. (Bring flip flops to change into of you ride the logs so you don't have wet, stinky feet all night. Monsters are people too.) Then go to the SECOND showing of the Hanging. If you go to the first one the maze lines will grow while you're at the show. Again, mazes first, shows second. If you do this there is probably no need for a front-of-the-line pass. We took a break and were among the first in front of the hanging stage at 9pm for the 9:30 show. We got to sit on the fence in front of the stage. We almost got splattered by blood.

6. Look out for show recommendations on Micechat. Ed Alonzo is good, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were a couple of better acts.

7. Maybe stay at a hotel nearby to minimize potential contact with drunk Sat. night drivers.

8. Report back to us the next day on how it went.
    Awesome tips! We are going this Saturday, Friday night we are flying in and going to Universal. Staying in Long Beach so it won't be that far (thank goodness.) Thank you again!
    Jeff Wayne

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHostJeff View Post
    Awesome tips! We are going this Saturday, Friday night we are flying in and going to Universal. Staying in Long Beach so it won't be that far (thank goodness.) Thank you again!
    My pleasure!

I do have two more tips. Maybe enjoy at least ten minutes of early entry by roaming around the fog and encountering monsters before you line up to see the SE section of the Scary Farm with four mazes including Delirium, Trick or Treat, and Dominion of the Damned, because the road to this area is gated off till 7pm, at which time it is crowded. Those without early entry will also line up here for the opening as soon as they are let in.

If you haven't purchased your tickets yet, there might be coupons available at a Burger King. They didn't have any as of Sept. 21, but one BK employee said they'd have them on the 23rd. I don't know if they can be used with the good deal online of admission and the Boo-fet for $50.

Have a nice time!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    My pleasure!

I do have two more tips. Maybe enjoy at least ten minutes of early entry by roaming around the fog and encountering monsters before you line up to see the SE section of the Scary Farm with four mazes including Delirium, Trick or Treat, and Dominion of the Damned, because the road to this area is gated off till 7pm, at which time it is crowded (those without early entry will line up here for the opening.)

If you haven't purchases your tickets yet there might be coupons available at Burger King. They didn't have any as of Sept. 21, but one Bk employee said they'd have them on the 23rd. I don't know if they can be used with the good deal online of admission and the Boo-fet for $50.)
    Thanks again! We have already bought our tickets online and we have the first pre-scare buffet. I'm taking my BF whom has never been and hates being scared. I'm not sure he will last these two days.
    Jeff Wayne