Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• former CM

Knott's Berry Farm (not Scary Farm) tips

Some Knott's tips:

I posted this about a year ago and have made a couple of updates.

Bring some frozen water bottles because beverages are even more expensive than they are at our beloved Disneyland. UPDATE: we were told by a Knott's CM that any window serving beverages would be happy to give us glasses of ice water, and we found this to be true.

Go on the improved yet classic log ride first. It'll have long lines at least till September 2013 weekdays.

Ride the Pony Express second and if no crowd is there yet and the employees will let you stay on, ride it around twice. (It's so short, it should take everyone around twice--then it's a very good ride.)

Ride the train; beware of robbers.

Ride the Stagecoach.

The bumper cars are not too slow for 10-year-olds and their parents, but it's closed during Scary Farm season.

Ride Windseeker in the day and again at night during Disneyland's fireworks. Maybe don't drink a lot before going on in case you get stuck 300 feet up for three hours. Kidding,
    sort of. If you are a man or a boy, be careful getting in and out of your seat. You'll see.

In my opinion, Mystery Lodge has aged surprisingly well.

If it's hot and you see the western stunt show in the outdoor theatre, sit in a covered wagon or--if they're full--sit in the spash area near the stage.

If there is an extreme wheels stunt show, see it as early in the summer as possible. The athletes are amazing, but they are not actors and are unable to fake their enthusiasm as the summer moves into July and August.

See the saloon show in the summer. They have two funny can-can dancers in the show during the summer that might make you miss Disney's Golden and Diamond Horseshoe Revues.

Jaguar is a great, first, big coaster for kids.

Accelerator is a nice, last, big coaster for aging adults.

Here's a controversial suggestion I only recommend for holders of Knott's (reasonably priced!) Season Passes who live within an hour of Knott's:
    save on parking by making shorter, more frequent visits. You may park for free for three hours close to (and SE of) the park entrance just past TGIF. So come for the first three hours, then drive away for a better, more reasonably priced lunch (Souplantation, Mimi's) on your way to the beach or a movie in Downtown Disney (with AMC tickets from Costco), and maybe return to Knott's for three more hours later in the day for its shows and less crowded attractions.

Knott's Season Pass might be the best theme park deal in S. Cal.

Return for Christmas and enjoy the small stage shows in Birdcage Theater. My daughter enjoyed the Christmas parade where guest kid marchers (who had rehearsed) added a charming small town-like feel. Snoopy on Ice shows have ranged from good to excellent.

Season passes don't include the phenomonal, transcendent Halloween Scary Farm , which you must experience. (Visit that in late Sept. for shorter lines and fresher monsters.) The Hanging is an insightful chronicle of our times; stand in the "slash area" near the stage. I wouldn't bring kids under 13 even though my daughter loved Universal's House of Horrors when she was 7.

Hope some of the tips are helpful!
    Please add more.
    --Tom Sinsky
    Last edited by jcruise86; 05-31-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Re: Knott's Berry Farm (not Scary Farm) tips

I have had season passes again for a few years. I cherish my pass and find it a great value. We added parking to ours for the up front additional charge BUT if you make enough trips (3 I believe) then it pays for itself. So far we've visited roughly 4 times over with two more visits this month alone.

Drinks are expensive BUT they do have buy 4 water bottles for $10 that comes down to $2.50 a bottle or even better spring for a souvineer bottle $7.99 with refills for $1.99 much better value than to keep buying drinks. You can bring in your empty bottles on future visits.

If it is super hot out consider riding Big Foot Rapids after Pony Express or when the attraction opens for the day (sometimes it opens late).

Right now WINDSEEKER is closed. For how long no one knows. If its a non crowded park day the line shouldn't be bad. We've ridden it during busy as well as non busy days.

I LOVE LOVE Knott's during the holidays with the Christmas Parade, Santa, Christmas Village, and Elf Mountain (Log Ride)

• former CM

Outdated:

Knott's has a deal going on now.
    If you buy a "season" pass now for all of 2013,
    it's only $66.99 and includes one free admission in 2012.
    Additional 2012 visits are just $9.99 each.

I put "season" in quotes because the season pass we got lasted for 8 months, and this one is really 4 seasons plus a day.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 05-25-2013 at 08:23 PM. Reason: typo

That's quite a deal.

I may have to let my Disneyland pass go when it expires as I really can't afford their prices anymore. At least I've got Knott's! I can afford their annual pass.

Even Knott's premium pass is worth it to be able to go into Soak City in the summer and beat the heat of the theme park something that Disney is lacking. But even the regular season pass is worth it. In the summertime after dark they have a light and music in Camp Snoopy kind of like a mini Electric Parade type thing. It's worth checking out.

Plus what I LOVE with your season pass no matter what you purchase merchandise wise (even if it's under $10) you get a season pass discount. Does Disney do this? NOPE. So it's a nice added touch to passholders.

The park is kept pretty clean I might add most of the time. At Johnny Rockets you can take your drinks with you once you are finished eating. A very nice touch actually. Plus we have had excellent service there the times we have eaten. We have always had plenty of refills by our server. I find the food even at Ghost Town Grill to be excellent. The prices are comparable to Disneyland BUT the service is much better. Both places are sit down restaurants. Of course you have Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant as well. There also a TGIFriday's. I can't get enough boysenberry punch no matter how many visits we make or refills I get.

The Raddison is actually a great priced hotel that is within walking distance to the park. Unlike Disney's way overpriced hotels on site the Raddison is definitely worth the value. I miss staying there due to needing a dog sitter.

Ya Knott's is definitely worth the season pass and I'm finding we visit way more in the off season during the week. Between Knott's and Universal I am kept plenty busy and sure I miss going to Disneyland (won't be renewing in August) but with so much more value in both parks I find my money is well spent elsewhere and I have more money period.

the Wife and I have tried a number of hotels around Knotts over the years, and we keep coming back to the Knotts Resort Hotel. Most of the time the rooms are a good deal (the exception seems to be Friday nights during Haunt, and even then they are not that out of line). We even stay there when we go to the Disneyland Resort.

What's interesting is that i am thinking about staying there when I have concerts to attend to at the Honda Center instead of near Disneyland. For the money I'd rather stay at the Raddison.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    the Wife and I have tried a number of hotels around Knotts over the years, and we keep coming back to the Knotts Resort Hotel. Most of the time the rooms are a good deal (the exception seems to be Friday nights during Haunt, and even then they are not that out of line). We even stay there when we go to the Disneyland Resort.
    Thanks for the recommendation, Dutchman! I'm looking forward to staying there on a Scary Farm night.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Some great tips in here! I always recommend Mystery Lodge, and some time spent browsing the Western Trails museum, Haunt museum exhibit and looking at all the peek-ins is well advised. A meal at the Ghost Town grill can be quite relaxing, sitting on the porch and watching the street.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Parking Lot > DCA

A good friend of mine did the All Wheels Extreme show for a number years at Knott's. It's a fun show to watch if you get the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by madmonkeygirl View Post
    There also a TGIFriday's.
    I used to live about a block away from the park, and when they opened this it was pretty sub par (let's be honest, TGI Friday's isn't anything to write home about anyway), and over time it's just gotten worse. I think that is due to the fact that it's not a "real" TGI Friday's in the sense that it's all Knott's employees that work there. I wouldn't suggest going here - and the Yelp reviews back up my case.

Try it if you must, but I would suggest going elsewhere. Just my two cents!

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Knott's has a deal going on now.
    If you buy a "season" pass now for all of 2013,
    it's only $66.99 and includes one free admission in 2012.
    Additional 2012 visits are just $9.99 each.

I put "season" in quotes because the season pass we got lasted for 8 months, and this one is really 4 seasons plus a day.

Thats a pretty good deal!
    For the love of Disney....

• HYDRA

I did buy a pass this year and have gone twice. Its a beautiful park.
    Take a look at the theme park models I make at kolbykonnection.com

• Minion

hmm I noticed mostly everyone that works there are teenagers. I know they hire 16yo.

If you want a good hamburger, there is a Fuddrucker's north of Knott's Berry Farm on Beach Blvd. It is across from the Target store in a small shopping center. It's too far to walk to from KBF but it won't take long to drive there. They also have good chicken sandwiches and huge salads.

Under 18 can work in games,merchandising, and food services. They have to be at least 18 years of age to work in Operations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast