Another night at Haunt 10/21/12

I must admit that this visit including the Boo-fet was much much better than the opening weekend. The Boo-fet actually included Snoppy souvineer sippers which was a nice added touch since there are no Haunt bottles this year. The Boo-fet had a little bit different variety than the one with Mice Chat (vegetable lo mien, Thai chicken and rice to name two). The cupcakes had plastic rings ontop of them. A nice added little souvineer. I managed to keep mine on all night. The chicken this time around was much much better than when I was there with Mice chat. It was nice and juicy and tender. It was perfect. Since we finished dinner early we decided to hit Gjostrider since it was around 6pm and it was open for us.

Once finished we headed to the roped off area to wait for rope drop. It was neat actually seeing the Tricksters and the witch start the evening. After rope drop we headed straight for the Log Ride Evil Dead.

Evil Dead: even though there were less talent in it it is still good. I love the live actor Bruce Cambells character at the end. Plus the ones that were in there gave me a startle because i didn't know they were there hiding waiting for our log. In the past with more talent it was obvious where they hide and wait to pop out at your passing log. It was getting old and boring. Anyways great concept. 9/10

Mine Ride: OK much much better overlay. Simple yet effective story of the Green Witch taking refuge inside the mine and calling upon the forces of evil to help her cause havoc for her victims. I love love the lighting, props and just the simple ghost mobiles and witch projection I'm the glory hole. Now Why oh why is this NOT even on the map is beyond me? I'm sure people have skipped this attraction thinking it isn't Haunt related but it is. There's even a sign in the station that says so. It is run in this way during the daytime as well which I think is a great way to promote Haunt to those daytime visitors. I just don't understand why they want to keep everything Haunt related hidden from regular park guests YET have this attraction in Haunt mode during the daytime. 10/10

By now it is not yet 7pm and the general public are still being kept out. We decide to hit a maze and then work our way around the park. So we decide on Uncle BoBo's.

Uncle BoBo's: I really really hope they get rid of this maze next year. This maze is no longer fun or even scary to go thru. It's supposed to be in 3D but the glasses do not do much for this maze at all. These clowns aren't scary. If they were supposed to be scary then make a maze and hire talent to actually scare. This is more comical. The only thing that I found funny were the three girls in front of us who were freaked out in this maze. I thought to myself that if they found this maze to be frightening then they aren't going to survive the others. 3/10

---------- Post added 10-22-2012 at 01:10 PM ----------

Since we had finished with one horrible maze we decided to hit up the other one Dia De Los Muertoes.

Dia De Los Muertoes: Again it's supposedly a 3D maze and is advertised as such. I find this maze boring, not scary. I guess it's because so many other mazes with this idea (La Llorona at Horror Nights) does things much better. Again if this is supposed to be scary it surely isn't. I think the talent was desperately trying but they just need to be helped/guided in the right direction. I would love to see this maze gone next year and hope it never comes back. 3/10

After Dia we decided to hit up Terror Of London.

Terror Of London: ok side note do NOT bring your 5 year old son to something like this. Yes a couple ahead of us had a 5 year old who was clearly scared. He had a light up light saber and thankfully was told to turn it off before entering the maze. The talent upon seeing this little boy decided to gang up on him and his parents which in some ways I was glad to see. I'm sorry but if you can afford tickets to Haunt you can afford a babysitter. So instead of actually being scared in this maze I was distracted by these parents.
    HOWEVER we went back again a second time later in the evening and I was terrorized by a couple of Jack The Rippers. One asked me if I was purposely screaming and I told him no because I was genuinely frightened. The one at the beginning creeped me out and kept scaring me saying "I will see you later". There was another one who was all creepy with the way he smiled at me and kept following me. 10/10

---------- Post added 10-22-2012 at 01:20 PM ----------

We headed to Pinnochio Unstrung next.

Pinnochio Unstrung: This is my favorite maze. The talent is creepy and the "human" puppets did a great job pretending they had strings and were just freaky. The detail is amazing and for once I felt transported in the actual story. The second time thru this maze later on in the evening was even better. ( I would never think it could be but it was) The talent was doing a great job of scaring me. 10/10

After Pinnochio Unstrung we headed to the 4 backstage mazes. By now we walked by Ghostrider and whoever wastes time at Haunt to ride its their choice but the line went filled up both upstairs and downstairs ques and even the line up to the cave. These people don't realize they can come to Knott's during the day and ride this without waiting that long. Plus do the Boo-fet and have NO wait.

Trick Or Treat: by far even better than last visit. I purchased another trick or treat bag and the employee found a different mask for me so I wouldn't receive the same one. Our first time thru no one had to say "trick or treat" to open the door. However on our second trip thru the employee at the front actually told us this is the Witch's house and we have to yell "Trick or Treat" to get the ghosts to open the door for us. She did a nice tie in and everyone yelled out "trick or treat". The first time thru we did manage to see the finale in the last room which was amazing. BUT the second time thru the witch in the third room before the hallway actually came at me and said something about vengeance and she's watching waiting for me. I was screaming at everything. The final room once again we managed to see the "show". Even though this maze is on the shorter side I find it still has an impact. I really really LOVE this maze even more so now. 10/10

---------- Post added 10-22-2012 at 01:27 PM ----------

End Games: I personally don't see the point to this maze or the fact that it's scary at all. I just wish they'd end this maze after this year. We are actually going to skip this maze on Halloween night when we go back. 3/10

Dominion of the Dead: OMG what an improvement over opening weekend. I'm not sure I'd it was because when we were in line I was making fun of the "brooding Twilight like vampires" that we're I'm there opening weekend or what but man was I wrong. We went thru this twice and all,I can say is those vampires are evil, mean and scary. I was tormented by quite a few of them both times. The first time I was being laughed at my my husband and his friend because I was screaming so much from being scared by the vampires. I forgot about the original maze of the same name. The talent really stepped this up in only a month. Definitely a surprise for me. 10/10

Delerium: I LOVE this maze much more this year. However I wished the "air bags" were fully working. It takes away from the storyline of the maze. Moving on the details even in the dark and the amount of talent in this maze. Second time thru the girl eating the roaches on the bed offered me a roach. I can't say enough good things about this maze and each time thru I find I have missed something, detail or a prop that freaks me out. 10/10

---------- Post added 10-22-2012 at 01:34 PM ----------

Fallout Shelter: actually is too dark to wear the 3D glasses. I like this maze as many years as its been at Haunt. The talent is great and there's not much as far as being able to see inside. It's just creepy to me but maybe because I hate the dark. The talent was getting me at almost every turn in here. 8/10

Slaughterhouse: I love the redesign of this maze. Much more effective. The amount of talent has improved and increased. However I will say a girl in front of us had her blinking devil horns on the entire time thru. It was not only really distracting but down right rude. I was shocked that not one employee said anything to her yet at other mazes were really enforcing the rule about flashy light up anything. I never had time to go back thru this maze. I should have gone to Guest Relations to complain at the end of the night but I was not feeling well and just wanted to go home. 8/10

Virus Z: this maze needs to go. If they are going to do a zombie maze do it well. Talent was missing in places (probably on a break). Do NOT ruin the end by having a girl recreate Carrie. Plain and simple. Last year this maze was great because the premise is there is this zombie out break and you are to take shelter in the high school gymnasium. However they totally ruined it with the last room this year. 4/10

---------- Post added 10-22-2012 at 01:46 PM ----------

By now it was 9pm and we did both rides, Ghostrider and all the mazes. So we headed over to see Unearthed.

Unearthed: good show. I actually enjoyed the whole concept. I had no idea the ending and how we weren't safe even with the four inch glass separating us from the chamber. 10/10

Ed Alonzo's Funhouse: maybe because I needed to sit some more to rest my feet from all the walking but this is a very entertaining show. Maybe because I liked the whole concept of Ed borrowing Neil Patrick Harris' car and I just found the jokes to be funny. I still wonder how he did the last trick lol...ya I'm slow. 8/10

Since we had time before the Midnight Witch's hanging we went to the Haunt museum to kill some time and redid Tower of London and Pinnochio Unstrung.

The Midnight Witch's Hanging: MUCH better than the regular hanging. Don't waste ours our time on the regular hanging this year. It's not worth it. HOWEVER this hanging is the best. It's short about 10 minutes or so. This used to be done at Haunt. It ties into the witch and this year's Haunt. It is dark, sinister, very morbid. It is not funny, comical etc. 10/10

After the Midnight Witch's Hanging we went back and did Trick or Treat, Dominion of the Dead and Dilerium before heading out for the night about 12:30am. We did not do Trapped again but have reservations for Halloween night. I must say in closing that last night was definitey much much better than opening weekend. It seems that most of the talent in the mazes and street talent have found their groove. I hope they keep it up.

We were at one point over by the bathrooms and there was one monster who waited right by the women's restroom for those exiting including myself. There was one monster who was arching me walk down the street between the museum and Calico Square and followed me. One monster in front of Sierra Sidewinder actually had this pot and had me stick my hand inside. Yuck it was something slimy.

• Disney "FREAK" since 1981

Re: Another night at Haunt 10/21/12

I'm sooo jealous. I also went opening night and am dying to go again. Glad to hear it's aging like a fine wine....only getting better with age! lol

Awesome trip report, thanks for you detail and insight. Love it!

You are very welcome. Opening weekend I did have a great time there don't get me wrong. Every year Universal ranks over Knott's BUT not this year especially after last night. I really feel that the talent on opening weekend was just starting their run and hence weren't into the groove yet so to speak. Now that weeks have gone by they've found their groove and all I can say is I feel that for the 40th Haunt Knott's really struck it out of the park instead of phoning it in like at Universal this year.

One thing I've noticed last night was the number of monsters roaming the area by the museum and Street that goes between Calico Square and Wilderness Dance Losge making the park seem more monster filled than opening weekend. I was amazed by the number that were roaming scaring park guests. It brought me back as to why I go to Haunt every year and why I will go back.

Quote Originally Posted by madmonkeygirl View Post
    You are very welcome. Opening weekend I did have a great time there don't get me wrong. Every year Universal ranks over Knott's BUT not this year especially after last night. I really feel that the talent on opening weekend was just starting their run and hence weren't into the groove yet so to speak. Now that weeks have gone by they've found their groove and all I can say is I feel that for the 40th Haunt Knott's really struck it out of the park instead of phoning it in like at Universal this year.

One thing I've noticed last night was the number of monsters roaming the area by the museum and Street that goes between Calico Square and Wilderness Dance Losge making the park seem more monster filled than opening weekend. I was amazed by the number that were roaming scaring park guests. It brought me back as to why I go to Haunt every year and why I will go back.
    thats what 99% of people fail to realize is that it takes a couple of nights for us (the talent) to get back in the groove of scaring. I roam the streets of ghost town and I am walkng/running about 13 or 15 miles a night at this point of the run and really only stopping for a 10min water break, during opening weekend I was only walking for about 6 miles a night and taking longer water breaks mainly due to it being 100 degrees outside