Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: Knott's announces post Perilous Plunge Plans, 3 new rides

Spoke with a representatives of the park today to confirm elements which show up in the concept art.

The area will in fact contain a lot of water and lots more greenery. That wasn't just fluff thrown into the concept art. They are going for a more garden-like setting. This section of the park is a concrete jungle and they are going to soften and green it up considerably.

In my opinion, this is a very welcome move. While the whole thing is a bit of a quick fix, these are also not long-term additions to the park. They are all easily moved or removed as future plans for the park are solidified. That pleases me, as I do think that much higher quality and better themed elements are on their way in the future.

For those holding out for a dark ride. That too will come. I have it on very good word that the park has spoken to a number of people in the industry about that very thing. But timing and budgets are everything, so there's no telling how long it might take for them to move forward. I'd rather that they wait and build a great custom family dark ride than to act fast and do some off the shelf Sally shot-em-up style ride (resist the temptation Knott's).

The Boardwalk was the single most maligned and ugly area of the park. It's now getting some attention. The next logical area to fix would have to be the former Roaring 20's (which I believe they also technically consider to be part of the Boardwalk), which is an absolute mess.

All in all, I'm not overwhelmed with the ride choices, but very pleased with the new greener setting and lush gardens planned. AND, for one low capacity ride removed, we are getting three new ones (also fairly low capacity). That's a pretty good trade that you don't see happen very often these days!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

For me it's not a must go type announcement....would have loved to see the Dinosaur ride return much more but I'll go on the coaster during Scary Farm when I'm there...usually most of the rides are walk on...so why not

• Hello Dolly.

I think it's great they are catering to families. The boardwalk was always an underwhelming land for me & I feel these additions will add to the land's atmosphere.

But I do think that their choices are disappointing. Another mouse, which SoCal already has so many, & Scrambler are not anything to rave about. They could have built something better for families.

But despite the choice of rides, I'm still happy with the expansion as it seems to add to the park in a positive way.

• HYDRA

It will help the park from looking like a thrill park
    the pics from the Bridge of the train will look great
    Take a look at the theme park models I make at kolbykonnection.com

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    While it adds to the flavor of the boardwalk land, it's not something that will get me to go. It makes the park better, but enticement to actually patronize Knotts does not raise one bit for me.
    I'm sure you aren't the only one that feels like that.

Personally, I HATE the Boardwalk Theme at Knott's and I DETEST and DESPISE DCA's Putrid Pier Theme. We should be expecting MUCH better from Both of these two parks. Although Knott's has had coasters that look like coasters decades before DCA even came along, it's incredibly sad for the park that calls itself America's first Theme park.

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    Bud Hurlbut was Knott's one-man Imagineering department. He came up with great rides like the log ride, the Calico Mine Train and Gasoline Alley. They weren't necessarily thrill rides, but they were themed and interesting.

Ever since, Knott's has been sticking in one carnival ride or roller coaster after another into the park.

A spinner and a scrambler? Hunh. Well, there's one more place I don't need to go to.
    Exactly! Knott's should be better than what they announced.

• Functional & Decorative

^Jeez, I hope you never visit Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

•   
    • Banned User

But that's a boardwalk, it's supposed to look like a boardwalk.

Making a theme park that is not a boardwalk look like one is kind of a cop out.

Hey, wait, I've got an idea! <sarcasm> We should have a theme park where one of the themes lands is a portable carnival! It will have all the loosely bolted together rides you'd find at a traveling carnival! Maybe if we're lucky they'll even hire as many toothless parolees as possible to staff the attractions so you really feel like you're at one. </sarcasm>

I'm happy to see Knott's is focusing on the greenery and doing more to avoid the concrete jungle stigma it once had. This is a definite bonus. There's not much difference between a mouse coaster here and a mouse coaster there but then you theme it up and have some tunnels it goes through, some mid-ride event, some water splashes/sprayers and other odds and ends and eventually a mediocre ride gets interesting. I think Knott's could do better but I will at least acknowledge that they're doing something and that impresses me.

• Goofy

that is something that has not me want to visit. looks too much of a carnival.

• Drunken Disneyland Master

Bring back the Whirlpool, enough with this "Scrambler."

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
    What a joke! A wild mouse that can be found at Legoland and DCA. Sandusky sure is out of touch with this park.

Its now going to be 10 years since Knotts last thrill ride. Family additions are nice, but you can not neglect your audience that likes thrill rides.

Also its amazing how such a small park can be filled with so many terrible rides:

GhostRider
    Boomerang
    Pony Express
    Coast Rider.

All wastes of space.
    Neglecting their audience? All they have built recently are thrill rides! When was the last time you were at the park? Aside from that, they should have more family-oriented rides as well as a dark ride or two (KotD anyone?) to balance it out a little bit. I think if anything, they are out of touch with what Knott's used to be more than anything..

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Personally, I HATE the Boardwalk Theme at Knott's and I DETEST and DESPISE DCA's Putrid Pier Theme. We should be expecting MUCH better from Both of these two parks. Although Knott's has had coasters that look like coasters decades before DCA even came along, it's incredibly sad for the park that calls itself America's first Theme park.
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    ^Jeez, I hope you never visit Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.
    Seriously. Must have had an awful, awful encounter with one.

^

Um, Sierra Sidewinder, Pony Express, and CoastRider are family rides, not thrill rides. So since Silver Bullet (2004), Knotts last major thrill ride, they installed 3 family coasters bring their total up to four. They have also allowed Ghostrider, once upon a time an EXCELLENT coaster, go to complete crap.

So yeah, I say they are neglecting their older audience who like thrill rides by not adding any new ones, and allowing the ones they currently have go to crap.

I too would love to see Knotts get a new Dark Ride, but, it would most likely be an off the shelf Sally shooter dark ride. And if that were the case, I would much rather see them invest the money into the two dark rides they already have. They still need to fix the cave room right after the first drop on the Log Ride.

• will-o-the-whip

Why are they going with the same layout for the wild mouse as the one at Legoland? Oh, Knott's, sigh... at least it's not spinning.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
    ^

Um, Sierra Sidewinder, Pony Express, and CoastRider are family rides, not thrill rides. So since Silver Bullet (2004), Knotts last major thrill ride, they installed 3 family coasters bring their total up to four. They have also allowed Ghostrider, once upon a time an EXCELLENT coaster, go to complete crap.

So yeah, I say they are neglecting their older audience who like thrill rides by not adding any new ones, and allowing the ones they currently have go to crap.

I too would love to see Knotts get a new Dark Ride, but, it would most likely be an off the shelf Sally shooter dark ride. And if that were the case, I would much rather see them invest the money into the two dark rides they already have. They still need to fix the cave room right after the first drop on the Log Ride.
    Would you not consider WindSeeker a thrill ride?

• HYDRA

well lets hope ghost rider gets a topper track rehab soon

yaaaaaa 700 post
    Take a look at the theme park models I make at kolbykonnection.com

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Would you not consider WindSeeker a thrill ride?
    Yes, but not a major one. And I left it off my list because the ride has been closed more than its been open.

Quote Originally Posted by mratigan View Post
    well lets hope ghost rider gets a topper track rehab soon
    I hope so. But with Cedar Fair and the current Knotts management running things, it probably won't happen. After all Knotts management has publicly stated that according to their accelerometer tests, there is nothing wrong with the ride experience. LOL!
    Last edited by Ryan120420; 11-20-2012 at 10:32 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast