Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Knott's announces post Perilous Plunge Plans, 3 new rides

In an encouraging move, Knott's announced plans for three new family-friendly attractions for the Boardwalk section of the park. The three new attractions will be taking up residence in the large area once home to the Perilous Plunge boat thrill ride.

Additions to the Knott’s Boardwalk Area will include:

· Coast Rider The 52 foot height, 1,339 feet of track. Mad mouse style coaster.

· Surfside Glider - Flat-ride spinner

· Pacific Scrambler - Basic, flat-ride, scrambler attraction.

The attractions announced are not groundbreaking. In-fact, some might look at this announcement as a let down. But let us
    explain why we are thrilled at this news. To us, this bit of news indicates that Knott's is very interested in attracting more than just thrill-seekers. They are expanding their appeal to a wider audience, casting a larger net, so to speak, and giving guests more to do.

Instead of a towering rust-heap with a limited audience, even lower capacity, and a massive foot print, they are installing three separate rides that will churn through riders more effectively. Knott's is doing the smart thing and adding value to the park while enhancing the ailing Boardwalk theme.

What are YOUR thoughts on these additions? Do you like the idea of expanding the roster of family friendly attractions is a good thing? Do you think that a large roller coaster would have been a better choice?
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Knott's announces post Perilous Plunge Plans, 3 new rides

I like it. I have little interest in the rides BUT it replaces a ride that was very limited and an eyesore. If it fits the boardwalk theme I love the idea, anything to make Knotts go back to its theme park roots interests me a lot even if I won't be partaking in the attractions.

• Circle of Ancients

I like it. But is this the same scrambler that used to be near Bigfoot Rapids (and originally where Perilous Plunge was)?

• "CA - CA! RAWRRR!"

Its not something that'll make me go to Knotts but its nice to see this layout. Anyways, I'll always still hope for something to go in the building of the Kingdom of the Dinosaurs.

What a joke! A wild mouse that can be found at Legoland and DCA. Sandusky sure is out of touch with this park.

Its now going to be 10 years since Knotts last thrill ride. Family additions are nice, but you can not neglect your audience that likes thrill rides.

Also its amazing how such a small park can be filled with so many terrible rides:

GhostRider
    Boomerang
    Pony Express
    Coast Rider.

All wastes of space.

• Circle of Ancients

If they had gone with a Gerstlauer Bobsled mouse that would have been one thing, but this is the same manufacturer and almost the same ride stats as the one at Legoland. Looks to be an exact clone of a ride 60 miles south.

To add, I don't have a problem with the "type" of ride, but there are so many other manufactures and models they could have gone with other than what we already have in SoCal.
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 11-01-2012 at 11:01 AM.

I like it!
    For the love of Disney....

• Assistant Minion

Perfectly fine additions ... but they need a dark ride!

• Circle of Ancients

Another plus (at least for me), it's not a spinning mouse ride.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

While it adds to the flavor of the boardwalk land, it's not something that will get me to go. It makes the park better, but enticement to actually patronize Knotts does not raise one bit for me.

•   

Bud Hurlbut was Knott's one-man Imagineering department. He came up with great rides like the log ride, the Calico Mine Train and Gasoline Alley. They weren't necessarily thrill rides, but they were themed and interesting.

Ever since, Knott's has been sticking in one carnival ride or roller coaster after another into the park.

A spinner and a scrambler? Hunh. Well, there's one more place I don't need to go to.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

• Circle of Ancients

With many families no longer feeling the need to purchase or being able to afford DL AP's, Knott's going after the family market is a good thing in that regard.

I just think it's funny that people complained about the "Six Flagsification" of Knott's earlier in the 00's but now they are adding in 3 rides that perfectly fit the boardwalk theme and people complain.

Again, I don't have a problem with the "type" of ride, just with the actual ride since there are 2 other mouse rides from the same manufacturer 5 (DCA) and 60 (Legoland) miles away.

• Sock Puppet

Yes, it's the exact same ride. Knotts kept the Windjammer/Bigfootrapid scrambler locked in storage for future use. I heard a rumor that knotts always keeps at least one flat-style ride in storage for possible re-implementation.

The Surfside Glider is the Larson version of the classic Bisch Rocco Flyers that used to be a mainstay at parks from the 1940's up until the late 1970's. Aren't too many of the originals left. From what I understand it's a pretty good reproduction of the ride, except they seemed to have engineered out the ability to "snap" the tubs like the old ones.

• Team Hail HYDRA

i like it
    fits in with the theme and makes that area look nice
    also a new coaster credit

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast