Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My final visit to Haunt on Halloweem Night 10/31

This was my third and final visit to Haunt. Even writing this trip report I am experiencing withdrawal. Halloween night was the Best out of all 3 of my visits. I thought nothing would top my last visit. Once again we had the Boo-fet dinner at 5pm. I like the fact they actually let us inside around 4:40pm. I found the food to be good but this time around the chicken was horrible. My first piece of chicken was undercooked. So I went back up to grab a new piece and only ate half because just like my first piece this piece was undercooked. Plus it was cold and dry. I was majorly disappointed with the chicken. Everything else was just great. We even had one of the talent named Ace show me a card game. I lost and he said I would be tortured all night long. (Little did I know he would be correct. I brushed his comment off which I should have taken heed.)

We had plenty of time that we caught the last train front row of the normal operating ride on Ghostridger for the regular day guests. Later that evening the entire top and bottom queue was filled. People who come to Haunt are dumb for waiting in regular ones for rides that you can come on a weekday in the off season and basically have no wait plus stay on and reride if you like to. Anyways we sat on a bench for awhile to rest our feet knowing we would be on our feet most of the evening.

I need to mention here that the Boo-fet and when it came time to enter was so non busy as it had been prior to Halloween we knew we were in for a very uncrowned night. (Earlier we had heard the projections for the night were about 8,000 people.) Compared to a night at Universal Horror Nights which was sold out meant we were definitely in for a great night. I think the longest line we had all night was for the log ride at maybe 15 minutes during the evening. That's how dead it was. Most mazes we just walked right in most times. I can't see going to Horror Nights much next year. This year Horror Nights was a huge letdown for us while Knott's Haunt ruled out for once since Horror Nights returned.

Anyways we were right up cent by the chain rope this time so it made for the opening scene that much better. The tricksters all came up to me because I had my Duffy bear with me. He's one brave bear. He likes the dark and scary.

---------- Post added 11-01-2012 at 03:19 PM ----------

Once we were let in we headed for the log ride Evil Dead. We rode it twice in a row (the second time there was no line and we just walked on.

Evil Dead: I personally don't like this years overlay. Both times thru not everyone was in their place and I just wish they'd do something great (I miss Sleepy Hollow even with just the effects would be great instead of this dud.) Unlike my previous visits I guess I just know where the talent hides and I just can't rate this very high this visit. 5/10

Next was the Mine Train.

Mine Train: I can't stop giving this such high praise. There were about 8 of us on the whole train that everyone had their own car. We were in the very back. Even with no talent being in the back with the witches cackling and the storyline and effects found me to be transported back to a time where I would come to Haunt and be so scared in the Mine Ride that I wouldn't want to sit straight nor on the bench seating. 10/10

---------- Post added 11-01-2012 at 03:30 PM ----------

After getting those out of the way the general public was coming into the park so we headed for the 4 mazes backstage behind Ghostrider. Mind you this is at 7pm but the line for Ghostrider the whole queue was filled. First maze Trick or Treat

Trick or Treat: We managed to go thru this maze 5 times thru out the entire event. The first few times there was hardly any line nor the last time thru. The last room worked in all 5 times we went thru. Plus our first two visits we were the first to be let into the house. Sad that they weren't using the doorbell but instead knocking. The first time the guy knocked for us but our second visit I got to knock on the door.

Here is where my story with the Green Witch encounter comes into play. Our first two visits I was fine going thru. You see I have a problem I do not like the Green Witch. She freaks me out. Well our third time thru (this was later on before Trapped) when we entered the room with the fireplace and the witch I didn't mean to but said out loud "I don't like the witch". BIG BIG mistake. She hears me. We walk down the hallway with the masks and I turn the corner I to the bedroom and she's there waiting for me. She was popping up everywhere, in the bathroom, in the dining room scene. Once the final room (show room finishes) I figured I was safe and exited. I was wrong. The Green Witch who was following me thru out the maze comes and comes between Matt and myself. She gets down and semi slides by my feet making me stop. She stands up and I start crying. Yes hysterically crying. She says "look at me". I look at her and I'm just sobbing. Finally I walk away and she goes back into the maze. I can't believe something at Haunt has made me cry.

Side note I did go back in to face my fears a few more times and I was just fine. 10/10

---------- Post added 11-01-2012 at 03:35 PM ----------

We skipped End Games. Nether of us have ever been impressed by this maze. I'd love to see this maze go in favor of something else. So up next my all time favorite Dominion of the Dead.

Dominion of the Dead: I love love this maze. We want thru this 5 times. The first few times I screamed all the way thru. The vampires would follow me at various stages for quite awhile. I had one blow on my neck. The last two times thru I had one vampire lady actually play with me. She kept saying I'm back. "I told her I wanted to live here." She would tell me each time thru that "I'd have no more blood to be drained." I would freak out at the guy vampires. For some reason these really freaked me out. They did an excellent job. I really hope this maze comes back next year. 10/10

---------- Post added 11-01-2012 at 03:37 PM ----------

The last of the series of mazes Dilerium.

Dilerium: we went thru this maze 5 times thru out the night. Just amazing. One time the talent was on a break and thus a big portion missing but for the most part I would scream because there was an onslaught of talent. There was one monster who told me to "shhh" because I'd scream so much loud. I told him I can't help it. I just love the detail I side this maze. I hope it returns again next year. 10/10

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

Re: My final visit to Haunt on Halloweem Night 10/31

Wow! I can't believe Halloween is over already.

I remembered when I attended Knotts on its opening night back in September. It seems like ages ago.

Can't wait until next year!
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

Hitting those out of the way we make our way to Fallout Shelter.

Fallout Shelter: We never use the 3D glasses because this maze is just too dark. The talent was coming at me from everywhere in here. They even at one point tag teamed up to scare me. As much as it is a repeatable maze I'm not sure I'd want to see it back next year.9/10

Slaughterhouse was next.

Slaughterhouse: all I can say is this years improvements makes this such a better maze. There seems to be less "dead wasted space" and way more talent. I couldn't stop screaming in here. 10/10

Virus Z: this time I think because there was so much space between groups that I actually managed to be scared in here for once. However it isn't the same since they messed with the ending and Universal did do a great job with The Walkimg Dead. 7/10

---------- Post added 11-01-2012 at 03:43 PM ----------

Oh I know. I love Halloween it's my favorite time of the year.

Getting back to my report.

Uncle Bobo's: I was able to see the Amazing Thingy. I'd love to se this maze revamped. New theme and idea but clowns are scary for some. So much so they had a girl down on the ground in a fetal position with clowns all around her. Best sight of the night. 5/10

---------- Post added 11-01-2012 at 03:47 PM ----------

We skipped Dia De Los Muertos.

We heade over to Pinnochio Unstrung.

Pinnochio Unstrung: one of my new favorite mazes this year. The Pinnochio's are downright creepy. The human puppets are creepy but I love to watch them on their strings. The donkeys are freaky. I screamed quite a lot in here. We went in here twice or three times I can't remember.10/10

Terror of London: this maze is great for the length of time it's been here. This year the cast of talent definitely makes this maze. The Jack The Rippers are truly terrorizing. I'd like to see something else of this nature next year. 10/10

---------- Post added 11-01-2012 at 03:50 PM ----------

We did do Trapped again however I felt it to be less scary. It needs to be much longer. It's way too short to be honest and it needs to have much better intense challenges. These were a breeze next to some other events where I went to. I'd love to see a crawl space, a long pipe you have to stick your arm into, two doors, multiple boxes to get something to advance. Those kind of things would be much better than just not scary things. If Knott's charges or a maze they need to up the scare factor.

---------- Post added 11-01-2012 at 03:52 PM ----------

We managed to redo the log ride for a third time. We stood and watched some monsters use the general store to really scare a group of girls. I was ale to give some monsters (more Tricksters than anyone else candy). That is a tradition that I was so happy to uphold this time. I actually had them asking for candy

Im hoping next year because it will be the 40th Anniversary (started in 1973) that they will. Ring back the new mazes and totally have brand new mazes for their big anniversary. Guess time will tell. All I know is until next season I will be in major withdrawals.

Great review! I felt like I was right there with you.

Thank you very much. This is my first year I have attempted to write any sort of trip reports for all of my Halloween outings. I'm glad that you felt like you were right there as well. I'm hoping next year to add a few new places as well as the old standard ones.

Great review!
    For the love of Disney....

Thank you. To this day even 2 days later I'm still traumatized by the Green Witch. There is just something about her that makes me freak out. (and yet I love the Wizard of Oz)

• Goofy

good trip report thanks. i cantt believe halloween is over. there is always next year.

You are welcome. I know. For me Halloween is my favorite holiday (Christmas but not the way retailers and media portray it as buy buy buy/spend money give tons of presents. Christmas is about spending time with family and traditions.) Abyway I'm so bummed that Halloween is over. I spend way more time celebrating Halloween and going to Halloween related events from mid September thru Halloween. I look forward to next year. I'm actually wearing my Haunt shirt today to help with withdrawals.

---------- Post added 11-05-2012 at 11:50 AM ----------

Oh I forgot to mention that while in Slaughterhouse a monster just loved my scream and asked me to "do that again." I delighted in that I probably made his night after all he did scare me so I had to scream again for him. man how I miss that. The talent was so into the energy of Halloween. I can't recall a Halloween before that the talent was just going after everyone all night long. The energy was just unbelievable compared to previous years. This year Knott's takes the top spot for me over Universal. For the price and value and scares Knott's gets two thumbs up. Next year I hope to add an extra trip in instead of Universal.

Quote Originally Posted by madmonkeygirl View Post
    Im hoping next year because it will be the 40th Anniversary (started in 1973) that they will. Ring back the new mazes and totally have brand new mazes for their big anniversary. Guess time will tell. All I know is until next season I will be in major withdrawals.
    I thought this year was the 40th. That is what all the signs said in the streets around the park...

Thank you for the reviews! It was great reading from your pov. Sounds like it was lots of fun, I remember going back when I was in high school. I haven't been in years, my wife can't handle all the horrors, she would have nightmares for months.

This year was the 40th Haunt (NOT the 40th Anniversary). Haunt started in 1973 thus next year will be the big anniversary. This year was the 40th time they held Haunt as in 1,2,3 etc.

Most of my friends are unable to handle anything Halloween where someone jumps out at you/being scared . It's a shame really because I'm either going with my husband or his friends.

I am hoping next year that Dominion of the Dead comes back (was brand new for this year) and Pinnochio Unstrung. I would love to see Trick or Treat come back but being that this year was tied to the Green Witch who knows. I can't wait until next year.

Quote Originally Posted by madmonkeygirl View Post
    This year was the 40th Haunt (NOT the 40th Anniversary). Haunt started in 1973 thus next year will be the big anniversary. This year was the 40th time they held Haunt as in 1,2,3 etc.
    Thanks for replying. I guess it is all in the wording.

You are welcome. I actually thought the same thing until I went into the Haunt museum and realized that Haunt started in Oct 1973 making Oct 2013 the actual 40th Anniversary of Haunt. My husband bought the Haunt book and had it signed and I am reading it (on page 100 as I type this). I'm learning awhole lot about the history of Haunt that I never knew.

• Minion

the market system is so confusing!!! I thought it was anniversary.
    I heard a rumor that they wont have the clown maze anymore (I thought I was tacky anyways). and the Mexican maze near the bummer cars BUT it that location wont be replaced. They won't have a maze in the bumper cars due to issues etc. but this is just a rumor.

Nope next year is the anniversary. No where did I see marketing that said 40th Anniversary Haunt. I won't miss the Dia De Los Muertos maze or Uncle Bobo's. The other mazes with exception of End Games (didn't bother with it on Halloween night it's a waste) are definitely for the better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast