Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Anyone else forget that Knott's is now owned by Cedar Fair?

You make some great points Dusty, and if they did all of what you wrote below it would be AMAZING. Unfortunately, I just don't see it happening, some of it, sure. My thoughts on your suggestions:

My wish list:

• Remove Silver Bullet (it is a great coaster but destroys any attempt for the park to regain its theme park status).
      Unfortunately I don't see this EVER happening. The park spent entirely too much $$ on it and with it being a unique layout it would be hard to move it to another park easily. Plus, this type of ride just isn't built much anymore as any park who would need an inverted coaster already has one. Plus I think every Cedar Fair park except Valley Fair has one. At the very least though I'd love it if they re-did the queue/station and did some placemaking around the ride to make it blend better with Ghost Town, including a paint job.
    • Build a new family Dark Ride in the old Kingdom of the Dinosaur space.
      Unfortunately from what I've heard it would be cheaper to tear down the entire building and rebuild it for that to happen.
    • Build a Peanuts themed Dark Ride in Camp Snoopy.
      LOVE this idea!!!
    • Remove the upcharge swing ride and put in a walk-through haunted house.
      This too. What an incredibly easy fix, or put in a Desperado's which I refer to down a little bit.
    • Refresh the Mystery Lodge show.
      Should have been done like 10 years ago.
    • Add seasonal festivals (Food and Wine, Flower and Garden, Octoberfest, Craft Festival, etc.).
      This would also be awesome. I could see all of them working except Octoberfest (due to Haunt).
    • Add a nicely themed table service restaurant to the park (something a step up from Ghost Town Grill but not as fancy as Carthay Circle or Blue Bayou). Since Fiesta Village has suffered the most under the hands of Cedar Fair, it would be a great location to add a well themed restaurant (music, entertainment, great Mexican food, etc).
      This I'm not so sure is needed. I would rather have a snoopy themed sit-down restaurant in Camp Snoopy. Between Ghost Town Grill, Mrs. Knott's, TGI Fridays, Coasters, Spurs and even Amber Waves I'm not so sure a more upscale sit-down place is needed.
    • The Boardwalk needs far more trees and gardens. It is a vast and depressing area at the moment.
      No question.
    • Build mountains around Sierra Sidewinder and Pony Express. Doing so would strongly enhance the feeling of the park. You should feel as if you are galloping across hills on Pony Express and Sierra Sidewinder should live up to the concept art they they showed to the city.
      I love this idea!!! My only issue is that with Pony Express that it would further take away from the Ghost Town themeing. I would have preferred if they would have moved this to where the mouse is going and put a Desperado's ride where Pony Express is now. Here is the Desperado's.

• Enhance the shops and experiences in the Marketplace.
      This is a take-it or leave-it thing for me and would be on the bottom of my list at the moment.

I would LOVE for Silver Bullet to be removed. It is a perfectly fine coaster but it was a mistake to place it in the heart of the park. Look to the Herschend parks (Dollywood and Silver Dollar City) to see how major thrill rides can mix with classic theme parks.

Quote Originally Posted by lynxwiler View Post
    Wha? Although I haven't visited the park recently to see the blue and yellow Christmas garlands you're refering to, I have to disagree with the garbage line you just posted. I find Knott's to be among the cleanest parks in SoCal and way ahead of USH and MM.

Also, I'm a Bruin so I wonder if the blue and yellow garlands you mentioned would even phase me. Off to Knott's tomorrow to check it out!
    Just visited Knott's today clean as a whistle and no blue and yellow Christmas Garland to be found. What park are you referring to? It's definitely not Knott's.

• Musical Fireman

As for my age question honestly I am sixteen, I live in NY and I have no shame to say I was never at Knott's but I have compared the Knott's of the 2000's vs now. There is a huge difference in my opinion, I know I might change if I ever went there. I don't have the pleasure of seeing the place when it was still owned by the Knott family so those who were there will have different opinions and they are welcome to say them, but in terms of Cedar Fair parks Knott's is the best one. There are still plenty issues like the Stagecoach trail it was more or less as it was when they built the Roaring 20's but the other rides since that time I get that argument. I'm getting Knott's preserved for Christmas so it might enlighten me more.

See ya walkin' right down the middle of o'l Main Street USA
    Last edited by SparkChaser; 12-01-2012 at 08:41 AM.

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lynxwiler View Post
    Just visited Knott's today — clean as a whistle and no blue and yellow Christmas Garland to be found. What park are you referring to? It's definitely not Knott's.
    Merry Christmas!!

Name:  PB183610.JPG
Views: 275
Size:  169.2 KB

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• Circle of Ancients

^ Well, to be fair, that's the boardwalk area and decorations are going to be a bit more gaudy than Ghost Town. Same as NOS at Disneyland.

I don't ever remember them even putting up decorations in the Boardwalk area before.

• Musical Fireman

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    ^ Well, to be fair, that's the boardwalk area and decorations are going to be a bit more gaudy than Ghost Town. Same as NOS at Disneyland.

I don't ever remember them even putting up decorations in the Boardwalk area before.
    The Ghost Town decorations are more intimate with the area. Though the wreaths can be compared to those on BVS but I ain't complaining.

Last edited by SparkChaser; 12-01-2012 at 04:45 PM.

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by SparkChaser View Post
    As for my age question honestly I am sixteen, I live in NY and I have no shame to say I was never at Knott's but I have compared the Knott's of the 2000's vs now. There is a huge difference in my opinion, I know I might change if I ever went there. I don't have the pleasure of seeing the place when it was still owned by the Knott family so those who were there will have different opinions and they are welcome to say them, but in terms of Cedar Fair parks Knott's is the best one. There are still plenty issues like the Stagecoach trail it was more or less as it was when they built the Roaring 20's but the other rides since that time I get that argument. I'm getting Knott's preserved for Christmas so it might enlighten me more.

It's a truly great book and you'll enjoy it. It's a bit of a bummer to see some of those old pictures, but it's a good history lesson nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
    Merry Christmas!!

Name:  PB183610.JPG
Views: 275
Size:  169.2 KB
    You're right! The Boardwalk decorations at Knott's do look great! I don't really see a lot of blue and yellow, but they've got the market cornered on Googie-like pastels and retro-jewel tones. They finally began to decorate the Boardwalk in 2011 (I think) previously it was relegated to Ghost Town and the California Marketplace. Here are a few shots of their Shag-like Christmas decor from Boardwalk:

Fiesta Village finally got Feliz Navidad decor for the first time this year. Previously it was simple red and green swags:

And here are some shots of Ghost Town's decor:

• Mmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Remove the upcharge swing ride and put in a walk-through haunted house
    The day Knott's died was when the Haunted Shack was removed. I'd love to see a replacement, but I can't forgive them for that.

It's a bit heartbreaking that the Dinosaur ride is gone too--this was my favorite ride ever as a kid. My little daughter will never get to ride it. When I was a wee little girl, my mom took us to the park, and my younger brother got sick. My mom had to take us home BEFORE WE RODE THE DINOSAUR RIDE. I cried the whole way home. I still haven't forgive him.

Last fall we were talking to the woman who runs the glass shop, and we were commiserating about the changes made to the park. She said that there was a pony themed ride prior to the Soapbox Racers? That is probably before my time, anyone remember that?
    Team Captain
    No Time for Snack Bar
    Go ahead, wait in line for that Pineapple Whip. I won't stop you.

• Say no to screens

The track is still up there...............
    Take a look at some of my models I make at kolbykonnection.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Cheesy View Post
    The day Knott's died was when the Haunted Shack was removed. I'd love to see a replacement, but I can't forgive them for that.

It's a bit heartbreaking that the Dinosaur ride is gone too--this was my favorite ride ever as a kid. My little daughter will never get to ride it. When I was a wee little girl, my mom took us to the park, and my younger brother got sick. My mom had to take us home BEFORE WE RODE THE DINOSAUR RIDE. I cried the whole way home. I still haven't forgive him.

Last fall we were talking to the woman who runs the glass shop, and we were commiserating about the changes made to the park. She said that there was a pony themed ride prior to the Soapbox Racers? That is probably before my time, anyone remember that?
    Actually it wasn't a pony ride, it used motorcycles. That lasted only a couple of years then it was converted to the Soapbox Racers. From what I understand the insurance underwriter didn't like the motorcycle configuration and they were replaced with the "race cars".

• Mmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    Actually it wasn't a pony ride, it used motorcycles. That lasted only a couple of years then it was converted to the Soapbox Racers. From what I understand the insurance underwriter didn't like the motorcycle configuration and they were replaced with the "race cars".
    Interesting, I must have misunderstood her. So it was the same ride, just with different ride vehicles?
    Team Captain
    No Time for Snack Bar
    Go ahead, wait in line for that Pineapple Whip. I won't stop you.

Ahyup. The ride was a modern version of the classic Coney Island ride "Steeplechase". It was a big deal back in the day. As I recall there were no restraints of any kind on the motorcycles and there might have been a few "incidents" which resulted in the reconfiguration of the ride.

I say turn the Boardwalk back into The Roaring '20s and bring back Knott's Beary Tales.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast