Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Musical Fireman

Anyone else forget that Knott's is now owned by Cedar Fair?

Yeah I know those huge thrill rides serve as constant reminders but lets leave out of the question. With all the recent developments in keeping the park refreshed especially in Ghost Town and that fact it's keeping its cool shops not to mention entertainment like the Saloon Show, Medicine Show, Shotgun Wedding and the Streetmosphere even the train robbers. The Calico Mine and Log rides are still running and are still loved. Does anyone else forget that a primarily thrill park is running the place?

See ya walkin' right down the middle of o'l Main Street USA

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

• Minion

Re: Anyone else forget that Knott's is now owned by Cedar Fair?

i rather have Cedar Fair than Disney own Knott's.

Dunno — I wonder what that picture would look like. What would Knott's be like if Disney owned the park?

Would Disney have built a California-themed theme park next door, if they could have purchased the California-themed theme park down the street?

When you're riding a classic stagecoach pulled by real horses and you have to weave through B&M supports as the coaster train roars overhead, not to mention the coaster supports landing in the middle of the Indian Trails area, it is difficult to forget that Cedar Fair owns the park. They are indeed turning things around and much of the Knott's spirit remains but Cedar Fair has made some significant scars nonetheless.

• Circle of Ancients

"Now owned by Cedar Fair" ... it's been 15 years. LOL!!!

But yes, over the last few years they have been bringing back the "charm" of Knott's Berry Farm, but for probably the first decade of Cedar Fair ownership they were trying to make it simply another Cedar Fair park. Sure, there were some good coasters added, but for Knott's traditionalists it wasn't a good thing.

I'm absolutely thrilled Knott's is reclaiming it's charm of the past, makes it much easier to do away with our Disney passes.

I was kinda of thinking that the original poster had visited a different park than I had (or more importanly, had NEVER been to KBF before Cedar Fair bought them), but I couldn't have said it better than Timchat2.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by jedited View Post
    I was kinda of thinking that the original poster had visited a different park than I had (or more importantly had NEVER been to KBF before Cedar Fair bought them), but I couldn't have said it better than Timchat2.
    I'm not sure how old the OP is, but I'm going to guess this is the case.

• Parking Lot > DCA

How can we forget?

The heavy steal ruining the atmosphere of the park is just one item. Cedar Fair has changed the quality of many areas of the park. Overall the park has lost a lot of its texture and character and has shifted more towards a more simplified carnival atmosphere. Fiesta Village seems to have suffered the most with the former Roaring 20's/Airfield coming in second.

Quote Originally Posted by Timchat2 View Post
    When you're riding a classic stagecoach pulled by real horses and you have to weave through B&M supports as the coaster train roars overhead, not to mention the coaster supports landing in the middle of the Indian Trails area, it is difficult to forget that Cedar Fair owns the park. They are indeed turning things around and much of the Knott's spirit remains but Cedar Fair has made some significant scars nonetheless.
    Agreed. I don't believe it's possible to FORGET that Knotts is being run by Cedar Fair. Those tracks are EVERYWHERE. And so is the garbage, and dis-repair, and blue and yellow Christmas garland!?!??!?

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
    Agreed. I don't believe it's possible to FORGET that Knotts is being run by Cedar Fair. Those tracks are EVERYWHERE. And so is the garbage, and dis-repair, and blue and yellow Christmas garland!?!??!?
    Wha? Although I haven't visited the park recently to see the blue and yellow Christmas garlands you're refering to, I have to disagree with the garbage line you just posted. I find Knott's to be among the cleanest parks in SoCal and way ahead of USH and MM.

Also, I'm a Bruin so I wonder if the blue and yellow garlands you mentioned would even phase me. Off to Knott's tomorrow to check it out!

• Minion

Ok can someone show me pictures of knotts before it was taken over??? I've no idea it looked like b4.

• Circle of Ancients

DannyLand, and anybody else ... there are a couple of places to look for old Knott's pictures.

KNOTT?S PRESERVED

http://www.yesterland.com/knottschanges.html

http://davelandweb.com/knotts/

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

There is no doubt that Cedar Fair nearly destroyed Knott's, ripping out its heart to plop rollercoasters everywhere (even in the very heart of the park).

HOWEVER, over the last two years, Cedar Fair has made an abrupt adjustment in how they handle Knott's. Money has been pouring in to repair Ghost Town, increase entertainment, improve food service, and generally enhance the park experience. A recent plan to build a huge coaster over the back of the park was declined in favor of installing three family friendly rides and improving the overall look of the Boardwalk area of the park. Those are the kinds of decisions which will help Knott's in the long run.

But here's what we all have to keep an eye on. Will they ever get back to installing themed rides? If they do, they'll truly be back on the right path. So far, it's all been unthemed coasters and flat rides. I have hope that Matt Ouimet (former Disneyland President and Cedar Fair CEO) will get the park on the right track. But we shall have to wait and see.

My wish list:

• Remove Silver Bullet (it is a great coaster but destroys any attempt for the park to regain its theme park status).
    • Build a new family Dark Ride in the old Kingdom of the Dinosaur space
    • Build a Peanuts themed Dark Ride in Camp Snoopy
    • Remove the upcharge swing ride and put in a walk-through haunted house
    • Refresh the Mystery Lodge show
    • Add seasonal festivals (Food and Wine, Flower and Garden, Octoberfest, Craft Festival, etc.)
    • Add a nicely themed table service restaurant to the park (something a step up from Ghost Town Grill but not as fancy as Carthay Circle or Blue Bayou). Since Fiesta Village has suffered the most under the hands of Cedar Fair, it would be a great location to add a well themed restaurant (music, entertainment, great Mexican food, etc).
    • The Boardwalk needs far more trees and gardens. It is a vast and depressing area at the moment.
    • Build mountains around Sierra Sidewinder and Pony Express. Doing so would strongly enhance the feeling of the park. You should feel as if you are galloping across hills on Pony Express and Sierra Sidewinder should live up to the concept art they they showed to the city.
    • Enhance the shops and experiences in the Marketplace.

With a $500 Million investment (a fraction of what Disney spent to fix California Adventure) perhaps less, Knott's could be an A+ park.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Murphy Lover

Cool Re: Anyone else forget that Knott's is now owned by Cedar Fair?

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    "Now owned by Cedar Fair" ... it's been 15 years. LOL!!!

But yes, over the last few years they have been bringing back the "charm" of Knott's Berry Farm, but for probably the first decade of Cedar Fair ownership they were trying to make it simply another Cedar Fair park. Sure, there were some good coasters added, but for Knott's traditionalists it wasn't a good thing.

I'm absolutely thrilled Knott's is reclaiming it's charm of the past, makes it much easier to do away with our Disney passes.
    I love that Knotts is trying to reclaim its past. I would love for something to be done with the old 'Kingdom of the Dinosaurs' ride. I loved that ride as a child.

I'm not renewing my Disney AP this year, so I opted for a Knotts pass instead, I hope that they keep working in the right direction. I love the rides that they are adding next year!!
    Jennifer
    http://www.facebook.com/cadensmama
    Disneyland Cast Member - Class of 2006 - January 2006 - July 2006 Fanstasyland Stores Lead

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast