Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

•   
    • Ralzap

Re: Stagecoach crash

Knott's needs to make safety first. All accidents are preventatable. My guess is the park has a good record, but needs to make sure everyone is a safety Champion. Hope all the ijured are safe and well care fored.
    Ralzap

•   

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    And Disneyland has been blameless in accidents? Do we not remember the Columbia and BTMRR killing people who were not at fault?
    We're talking about two different things. You're talking about ANY accidents, I'm talking about volume and frequency. I stand by what I said, it's Knotts who tends to lead the stats on accidents in the last 15 years. The last time I saw anything published Disney was less than half of Knotts.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

• Functional & Decorative

What statistics are you using? If you search rideaccidents.com (which, granted, does not have 2012 complied at the moment), Disneyland and Knott's have nearly the same number of reports. Disneyland has even a few more, in fact.

Even if you just Wikipedia "incidents at...", you get far more for Disneyland than Knotts. Do note that Knott's fall under "Cedar Fair", which combined do have a lot more--because they have a lot more parks under their umbrella. But Knott's specifically... it's less.

Granted, those are probably not the end all be all in stats websites. So if you do have a reputable one to add, I would honestly be interested in hearing it.

Really, just statistically, Disney should probably have more accidents, because I'd imagine they'd have a higher volume of people and attractions.

Interesting that DLP just had an accident recently. The Disney company is not impervious.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Doombuggy Rider

OUCH !! No Theme Park Fan ever wants to see a classic / entertaining experience close @ Knott's (& the Stage Coaches are a prime example of old fashioned entertainment that should never ever disappear) ...

Could Cedar Fair schill out more funds to make sure thee Stage Coaches (& the road they travel upon) are in top top shape? Absolutely! It's on par with Disneyland having spend the necessary money to make changes (per CAL OSHA) every single time they take a Ride down for a lengthy rehab! Don't take out a Ride, or Attraction, due to neglect - do the right thing & preserve a nostalgic experience in thee safest way possible (& put some hidden electric motors underneath thee Stage Coaches so that they move thee wheels @ the right pace even up an incline without putting the Horses @ risk) ....

C J

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

Just FYI, I believe the Stagecoach ride is already up and running again. Whether that particular coach is being used, I have no idea. I imagine not, but I don't have that information.

An Awful lot of finger pointing and accusations going on here. We really don't know what exactly happened. When you are dealing with a piece that is 98% wood, often you have little if any forewarning of a failure. The fact that DOSH has okayed the reopening of the attraction indicates that it may have been something that even THEY couldn't have foreseen.

​Glad it's up and running again! Thanks for the update.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Hello Dolly.

Glad the ride is already running. Cedar has been actually improving the park lately & improving areas, but mistakes will be quickly jumped upon if the park isn't in DLR.

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    An Awful lot of finger pointing and accusations going on here. We really don't know what exactly happened. When you are dealing with a piece that is 98% wood, often you have little if any forewarning of a failure. The fact that DOSH has okayed the reopening of the attraction indicates that it may have been something that even THEY couldn't have foreseen.

sucks that accidents can sometimes happen
    Last edited by Rex Dopey24; 01-06-2013 at 06:16 PM.

•   

I maintain what I said at JesterMn. Here we are talking about Knotts and you gotta chime in with what basically amounts to "Oh yeah? Disneyland isn't blameless!" I find it distasteful and a way to drag Disney into the focus of this Knotts based forum topic. It all amounts to one big "Oh yeah" to me.

I typically get my info from Jason Herrera's site.

Home of Amusement Safety Organization

Enjoy returning to finding a way to make this Knotts article about Disney.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

I'm bringing Disney into it because I find it just as distasteful that you that you make it sound like Knott's is a very irresponsible park, leading the way in accidents.

Your exact quote is, "Knotts... tends to lead the stats on accidents in the last 15 years." This statement clearly infers a comparison to other parks. If it's leading the stats, then it must be above another park's stats. Since this is primarily a Disney forum, what else did you expect me to compare it to?

You also said at the beginning of this thread, " 'Guest safety is Knott’s number one priority.' - from that article... Their history says otherwise and yet the accidents keep coming in." I'm just questioning that. To me, the number of accidents in Knott's history doesn't statistically seem out of line with any major amusement park, Disney or otherwise. Point to any amusement park in the country, and we'll likely find a number of accidents it's had.

Really, I'm just trying to defend Knott's. If I have to drag Disney into it to make a point, then I will. I'm not exactly sure what other park I could compare it to that would make my point as clearly, as Disneyland is a park renown for it's high safety and standards records. I could have compared it to Magic Mountain, which has about the same number as Knott's.

If that doesn't at least let you see my point of view, then perhaps we will just have to agree to disagree.

I do honestly appreciate your link to the stats site. I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet, but it doesn't seem to have a park by park search, so doing a direct comparison seems tedious (unless I missed a way to do it, which is entirely possible) to provide evidence for either of our viewpoints. I can only state rideaccidents.com and wikipedia, which does lean the stats more towards my view--but I also freely admit they may not be the most inclusive and thorough, and thus not fully conclusive.

• Minion

Good thing it's open for guest enjoyment

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

•   

Quote Originally Posted by mratigan View Post
    Good thing it's open for guest enjoyment
    The park or this thread?

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    "Guest safety is Knott’s number one priority.” - from that article

Their history says otherwise and yet the accidents keep coming in.
    Knotts had a safer year than Disneyland did last yearand the years before that so what are you talking about?

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

Remember hearing word of this from one of my old Stagecoach Driving friends. Saddened me to hear about that. Stagecoach doesn't have that many incidents that I can remember behind it, but it generally always makes news about it when something happens. I remember when they unfortunately lost a few horses in a crash some years back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast