History of the Timber Mountain Log Ride

The re-opening ceremony of the Timber Mountain Log Ride is scheduled for this morning at 10 am.

In celebration of the re-opening, Knott's posted this video on their Facebook page yesterday. It's a fun, informative look back at the history of the ride, including Bud Hurlbut's vision and creation of the ride, how revolutionary Hurlbut's ride system was, and a look back at the opening of the ride in 1969 with John Wayne. It includes lots of great photographs, and interviews Eric Lynxwiler, co-author of the book on Knott's history (and a participant in the forums on Mice Chat) and the legendary Tony Baxter, who talks about visiting the ride on opening day and its influence on his design of Splash Mountain.

• Team Hail HYDRA

Re: History of the Timber Mountain Log Ride

The mine ride and the log ride are really the pirates and mansion of knott's!!

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

This is a fantastic video indeed, very well put together! (and in most ways, even better than the promotional fluff Disney puts out about the history of any of their rides - same footage over and over, virtually nothing in-depth)

• failure for lunch

This video is marginally better than any PR stuff Disney has put out lately. Kudos to Knotts!!

I'm pretty stoked to see the new ride. Me and the Mrs. are going to take a visit on Saturday.
    Bullets for Breakfast
    Join the party. Face the music.

• Co-Host of USWP

Thanks for sharing.

• Restless Adventurer

I wonder what Hurlbut had to say about Knott's theming and development in his later years. I remember the first thing you would see at Knott's as you pulled up to the dirt parking lot was the chickens walking freely. From the beginning you felt like you were immersed in an environment somewhere different than the surrounding city. With so much concrete and towering steel, Knott's has lost much of that feeling. I hope that they can continue to restore (and in some cases remove) to bring back the original feeling to the park.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by MrTour View Post
    I wonder what Hurlbut had to say about Knott's theming and development in his later years. I remember the first thing you would see at Knott's as you pulled up to the dirt parking lot was the chickens walking freely. From the beginning you felt like you were immersed in an environment somewhere different than the surrounding city. With so much concrete and towering steel, Knott's has lost much of that feeling. I hope that they can continue to restore (and in some cases remove) to bring back the original feeling to the park.
    I agree. It appears that Ouimet and his crew know what needs to be done. We can look forward to the Calico Mine Train getting the same treatment as the log ride, and some work in the Roaring 20's area after that.

The fact that they are paying this much attention to their classic attractions is a good sign I think.