Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Re: California Mission restoration

Mini scaffolding? Adorable!

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

I was at the park yesterday, and stopped by the Toy Barn porch in Ghost Town. Bob Wier, the craftsman, had just started work on Mission San Gabriel (the closest mission to the city of Los Angeles). He said he had finished work on Mission Santa Cruz the previous week. San Gabriel is the fourth mission he has worked on. During the five or ten minutes I was there, he was chipping the old faded paint off the mission bell tower (I think one of the final steps is re-painting the model with fresh paint).

Here are some photos:
    Name:  Mission San Gabriel 1.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  211.5 KB

Name:  Mission San Gabriel 3.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  209.9 KB

Name:  Mission San Gabriel 4.jpg
Size:  189.6 KB

Name:  Mission San Gabriel 5.jpg
Size:  206.6 KB

Name:  Mission San Gabriel 8.jpg
Size:  205.6 KB

Name:  Mission San Gabriel 9.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  194.0 KB

Name:  Mission San Gabriel 11.jpg
Size:  209.2 KB

I asked him if the park would display the models only after he finished restoring/building all 21 mission models, as he had told me at the beginning of the summer. He said that the park was having trouble finding a good place to display all the models, so it was his understanding that once he finished restoring 4 of the models (that would be after finishing San Gabriel), the park would display the four finished models. As he finished restoring more, they would be switched out occasionally. He thought that the models would be displayed near the tunnel near Silver Bullet, or along the path where the park's El Camino Real once existed.

Quote Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
    I was at the park yesterday...

I asked him if the park would display the models only after he finished restoring/building all 21 mission models, as he had told me at the beginning of the summer. He said that the park was having trouble finding a good place to display all the models, so it was his understanding that once he finished restoring 4 of the models (that would be after finishing San Gabriel), the park would display the four finished models. As he finished restoring more, they would be switched out occasionally. He thought that the models would be displayed near the tunnel near Silver Bullet, or along the path where the park's El Camino Real once existed.
    That would be a great place for them, since it's where some or all originally lived. Would be cool if they could theme it a little more.

Stopped by the park today. Bob Wier, the craftsman working on restoring the mission models, had made good progress on the model for Mission San Gabriel:

Name:  San Gabriel_Aug 18_01.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  232.4 KB

Name:  San Gabriel_Aug 18_02.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  226.1 KB

Name:  San Gabriel_Aug 18_03.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  220.9 KB

Name:  San Gabriel_Aug 18_04.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  221.9 KB

Name:  San Gabriel_Aug 18_05.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  209.6 KB

Name:  San Gabriel_Aug 18_06.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  214.0 KB

Name:  San Gabriel_Aug 18_07.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  211.7 KB

I told him that the Huntington Library in San Marino had just opened a new exhibit on Junipero Serra that included original documents written by Father Serra and artifacts from the missions, including one of the massive wooden church doors from Mission San Gabriel. He said that he had been to Mission San Gabriel recently doing research for the current mission restoration.

I've been reading about Bud Hurlbutt recently, and asked Mr. Wier if he had worked with him in the past at Knott's Berry Farm. He told me that he had interviewed for work with Mr. Hurlbutt's company a couple times, having taught high school for a long time locally, but never had actually met him.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Thanks for continuing the updates on this project. I love to read them and I'm sure there are many others who view these reports without commenting. Great job!

• failure for lunch

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    Thanks for continuing the updates on this project. I love to read them and I'm sure there are many others who view these reports without commenting. Great job!
    Guilty as charged.
    Bullets for Breakfast
    Join the party. Face the music.

Made an unplanned visit to Knott's this past Sunday. Here are some pictures of the progress on craftsman Bob Wier's restoration of the San Gabriel Mission model.

Name:  San Gabriel Mission_0825_02.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  197.6 KB

Name:  San Gabriel Mission_0825_03.jpg
Size:  184.5 KB

Name:  San Gabriel Mission_0825_04.jpg
Size:  201.4 KB

Name:  San Gabriel Mission_0825_05.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  189.1 KB

Name:  San Gabriel Mission_0825_06.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  204.2 KB

Name:  San Gabriel Mission_0825_08.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  178.8 KB

Name:  San Gabriel Mission_0825_09.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  196.7 KB

A couple of notes. I asked Mr. Wier about the park's plans for displaying the mission models. He said that there was nothing definite about an immediate display of the finished models, but the park was considering starting with the four finished models once he finishes the San Gabriel mission. He said he had been told when he was commissioned to do the work that the project would run about two years in total.

Also, with the summer over and my schedule more busy with work, it may be a while before I have a chance to visit the park again. I have enjoyed watching the progress made over the months with the mission models, so I will be sure to visit Mr. Wier's work area the next time I visit the park, probably sometime in the fall.

One more photo, a long shot of the front side of the model.

Name:  San Gabriel Mission_0825_01.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  196.6 KB

• Singing Drinker

I'll miss the regular updates but look forward to your return.

Thank you again.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

Looking wonderful.

Visited Knott's today with the family. Stopped by craftsman Bob Wier's work area by the Toy Barn in Ghost Town around noon. He had finished work on Mission San Gabriel, and it looks like he had just started work on his next model, Mission San Luis Obispo.

Here are some photos.

Name:  Mission SLO_130921 01.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  219.8 KB

Name:  Mission SLO_130921 02.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  206.0 KB

Name:  Mission SLO_130921 03.jpg
Size:  197.3 KB

Name:  Mission SLO_130921 04.jpg
Size:  199.8 KB

Name:  Mission SLO_130921 05.jpg
Size:  194.3 KB

Name:  Mission SLO_130921 06.jpg
Size:  177.4 KB

Name:  Mission SLO_130921 07.jpg
Size:  208.3 KB

Name:  Mission SLO_130921 08.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  214.8 KB

I asked Mr. Wier if he had heard any word about Knott's displaying the mission models he has finished so far. He said he has not heard anything from the park management.

I'd encourage any readers who would like to see the completed models on display somewhere in the park to write to Knott's Berry Farm management and ask that they be put on permanent display. There's an Information Center located right next to the park's main exit as well, but it seems like that office mainly deals with people wanting to upgrade their tickets to season passes.

• Disney Philosopher

I was there same day and asked the same questions. He must hear it all day long
    "These are a few of my favorite things"

Visited Knott's Berry Farm on Sunday, and stopped by the Toy Barn porch in Ghost Town. The craftsman restoring the models, Bob Wier, was continuing work on Mission San Luis Obispo.

Here are some photos:

Name:  San Luis Obispo_Oct 01.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  197.4 KB

Name:  San Luis Obispo_Oct 02.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  213.4 KB

Name:  San Luis Obispo_Oct 03.jpg
Size:  217.9 KB

Name:  San Luis Obispo_Oct 04.jpg
Size:  188.8 KB

Name:  San Luis Obispo_Oct 05.jpg
Size:  189.2 KB

Name:  San Luis Obispo_Oct 06.jpg
Size:  227.1 KB

Name:  San Luis Obispo_Oct 07.jpg
Size:  147.0 KB

Name:  San Luis Obispo_Oct 08.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  154.6 KB

Name:  San Luis Obispo_Oct 09.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  170.1 KB

Name:  San Luis Obispo_Oct 10.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  172.1 KB

Someone had commented online (either on this discussion thread or somewhere else that I had read) that the scale of the plants and other decorations that Mr. Wier is using seems not correct, compared to the originals done by Leon de Volo. I mentioned the scale of the plants he was using to Mr. Wier, and he told me that he used something called G scale, which is commonly used with model railroads. I believe he told me that the scale on the buildings was, 1/2 inch on the model = 1 foot on the actual buildings, and that the plants he has been using are pretty close to the relative size they would be in real life.

If you notice the figures of the priest and other persons in front of the model of Mission San Luis Obispo, Mr. Wier said that they were created by the original builder, Mr. de Volo, and that he did not add anything to the models.

However, he said that most of the models as they had been displayed (before they were removed) were seen only from the front side, being stored in display cases with glass at the front. He said Knott's had asked him to restore the models to be visible from all four sides, so he did some original work on the back of the San Luis Obispo model, which in its original form had a plain back with round holes (compare with photos of back of mission from September 21st, above). He wasn't sure how the models would be displayed so that they would be visible from all sides.

We talked about when we had both first seen the mission models at Knott's Berry Farm, Mr. Wier in the 1950s and me in the late 1970s or early 80s. I talked about remembering the four mission models in the tunnel leading from Calico Square towards Fiesta Village, and Mr. Wier said that those four models were among the ones that would have to be rebuilt from scratch.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

California Mission Restoration Project updates?

SpacemanSpiff's amazing thread about the California Mission restoration project has been locked. I was wondering if anyone knew what was happening with the project. Is anyone working on it now? Are there plans to continue work? Does anyone have any pics? I found the restoration photos very interesting and hope that someone has news about this.

Here is a link to the original post if you missed it.

California Mission restoration

Re: California Mission Restoration Project updates?

Was up at the Farm for the first day of Berry Bloom. Yes they are still working on the Mission models. There is usually someone working on them and they'll be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast