Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Closed Account

Re: Knotts will have boarding pass with wait times for the disabled

I don't think this would ever work at Disneyland. I love the concept of it, but the execution leaves a lot of room for improvement.

My mom visited Knott's Berry Farm on a Saturday and used the boarding pass on the rides that offered it. It turned into a game of "who to ask". There were two types of employees: some who were educated about the system and some who weren't. At most rides she would ask for the boarding pass, and they would then call to someone in a booth for the ride and get a time to put on the boarding pass. This is so that they do not have to print out boarding passes with every available time all day long (something they couldn't do). They then had to give you the actual time which they put on your pass. Each ride was a repeat of this. Then, she would get to some rides and ask about the boarding pass and they would say that they did not know what a boarding pass was. She would explain it, they would call to someone in a booth and then she would get the pass.

The positives of the system were that she was able to not stand in line, and it avoided the need to rent an ECV for the day (like she does at Disneyland). The other positive was that she got to "wait in line" like everyone else, so she was not bypassing the lines. The other positive for her, is that when it was a popular attraction she would get a bunch of boarding passes in a row and use them as fast passes essentially. She went to Boomerang when the wait was an hour and ten minutes and got a boarding pass, the boarding pass time was actually to return an hour and a half later, rather than the hour and ten minutes. She went to Jaguar and the wait was forty minutes, she got a boarding pass that said to return an hour later. She went to Ghostrider, the wait was 30 minutes, and the boarding pass had her return 40 minutes later. In the meantime, she used boarding passes from earlier in the day to knock out three rides back to back, then did three coasters back to back. They have no way to verify if you already have a boarding pass, so you can essentially create your own fast pass system.

There are a lot of reasons why I don't think this will work at Disneyland, one is the sheer number of people who use the GAC at Disneyland vs Knott's. They would need an extra employee at each ride that offered the boarding pass to hand them out, put times on them, check return times, etc. I actually think it would increase abuse of the system at Disneyland should they choose to initiate it because they can be used as fast passes essentially. Knott's still has a relatively low attendance compared to Disneyland (not even in the same ballpark) and they can have the ride operator do two different jobs, load the ride or unload it and issue the boarding passes.

I also think of the confusion at Disneyland when you are waiting for say Dumbo and the ride operator cannot even remember to unlock the gate until a guest yells "the gate" and I think that they would never be able to handle such a complicated system.

I love the fact that you wait as long or longer than everyone else in line, rather than get instant access, but I think Disneyland's system is tried and true for the number of guests that they have, and it's working, so I can't see any reason why they would change it. For people who think a GAC card at Disneyland is instant access, watch the disabled lines next time you are at Disneyland, chances are you will find yourself done with Small World or the Jungle Cruise before the person at the end of the line even gets half way through the line.
    Last edited by johnlawwhiskey; 06-15-2013 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    I don't think this would ever work at Disneyland. I love the concept of it, but the execution leaves a lot of room for improvement.

There are a lot of reasons why I don't think this will work at Disneyland, one is the sheer number of people who use the GAC at Disneyland vs Knott's. They would need an extra employee at each ride that offered the boarding pass to hand them out, put times on them, check return times, etc. I actually think it would increase abuse of the system at Disneyland should they choose to initiate it because they can be used as fast passes essentially. Knott's still has a relatively low attendance compared to Disneyland (not even in the same ballpark) and they can have the ride operator do two different jobs, load the ride or unload it and issue the boarding passes.

I think Disney could make this work with Nextgen.

• Pilot EdForceOne

They have no way to verify if you already have a boarding pass, so you can essentially create your own fast pass system.
    Most of what you describe are simply teething problems... easily solved, especially at disneyland.

1 - All Disney rides have wait time boards (classic fantasyland is on the edge of this..) - so the 'calling to get a time' is not an issue
    2 - Most Disney attractions (again.. sans classic fantasyland) already use greeter positions.. who can facilitate these needs without extra manpower except on the busiest days
    3 - the stacking of passes like you describe is easily solved by not giving out another pass until the previous one is used or canceled. Done via electronic or via the pass sheet shown elsewhere
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

I don't understand this. Can someone explain with an example and how it works???

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
    Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but isn't this like a FastPass?
    I was thinking the same thing. I've read some of the points others have made about what makes it different, and it's still an advantage over waiting standby (since you can ride other rides). That being said, I think it's a step in the right direction!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Most of what you describe are simply teething problems... easily solved, especially at disneyland.

1 - All Disney rides have wait time boards (classic fantasyland is on the edge of this..) - so the 'calling to get a time' is not an issue
    2 - Most Disney attractions (again.. sans classic fantasyland) already use greeter positions.. who can facilitate these needs without extra manpower except on the busiest days
    3 - the stacking of passes like you describe is easily solved by not giving out another pass until the previous one is used or canceled. Done via electronic or via the pass sheet shown elsewhere
    I understand your point of view. The wait board times at Disneyland are rarely accurate though, so basing the passes on that alone, would be tough. Having to write or stamp the time on thousands of cards a day would be tedious whereas Knott's makes it work.

Going computerized with it, would require new computers at every ride so that the pass could be scanned to program in the time, and then it would have to be scanned when the rider returned to make sure that they were within their time frame.

I do think Knott's is on to something though, and there premise is good. The problem is that they say you have to use one boarding pass time before you can get the next, but most people just get multiple boarding passes at multiple rides and maintain multiple sheets. If they did switch to an electronic system, it would definitely get rid of the "fast pass" type approach that it's having.

If they end up bringing the darn magic bands to California, then it might work, but the scanning constantly would start to make people feel like a UPC bar code on clearance.

• Minion

After having a LONG conversation with guest relations at DIsneyland last weekend, they are working on this for Disneyland. They have started on several rides (RSR, Star Tours) but it will soon be available for most rides.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• #bringevilback

I have attached a photo of mine so you can get a visual. The have to go get a time from a ride, wait, then return to ride. It sounds like they hit have had a previous version where individual rides handed out passes, which would allow you do collect for multiple attractions, however with this you can only have one active wait time at a time. Sure, you could go do other attractions in between if you are ale to go through regular lines to "work the system" but otherwise it is pretty solid.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

• Closed Account

Yes, that's exactly what my mom got, she just asked for a new one at each ride.

I still can't see it working at Disneyland in this format, Knott's gets under 10,000 visitors a day, and a lot of their rides are not handicapped friendly, unlike Disneyland who is completely handicapped friendly. Just my opinion.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    After having a LONG conversation with guest relations at DIsneyland last weekend, they are working on this for Disneyland. They have started on several rides (RSR, Star Tours) but it will soon be available for most rides.
    Interesting!

Question, though: why would they need this on RSR? The queues are all accessible and I know when I've gone on with my GAC, I've just been sent over to the handicapped boarding when I get close to the front of the line. I've been told it works that way for ECVs and wheelchairs too, and I've seen them in the lines. Is the reserved times thing only for those GAC holders with issues that prevent line waits (ie, photosensitivity)?
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• #bringevilback

Yes, that's exactly what my mom got, she just asked for a new one at each ride.
    I'm not sure when you went, but currently you have to get the card from the main information building. I supposed you could go back and get a second one to have two active ones, but individual rides do not have them, they only sign them, and you can only have one active wait time.

• #bringevilback

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Interesting!

Question, though: why would they need this on RSR? The queues are all accessible and I know when I've gone on with my GAC, I've just been sent over to the handicapped boarding when I get close to the front of the line. I've been told it works that way for ECVs and wheelchairs too, and I've seen them in the lines. Is the reserved times thing only for those GAC holders with issues that prevent line waits (ie, photosensitivity)?
    I think it would be most helpful to those with autism spectrum disorders who would have a difficult time in a traditional ride, but isn't really necessary for those in wheelchairs or ECVs if the line is accessible.

Interesting!

You have the wrong stamp on your GAC if they won't let you get a return time card. You have to get Alternate Arrows or Green Light stamp to avoid accessible Standby queues in DCA or Disneyland, the stamps that most APs who say their child is autistic get.

There are YouTube videos available to teach you how to say the right words to get the best stamps for your GAC. Otherwise, you have to wait in Standby in DCA since the lines are wheelchair accessible there.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    You have the wrong stamp on your GAC if they won't let you get a return time card. You have to get Alternate Arrows or Green Light stamp to avoid accessible Standby queues in DCA or Disneyland, the stamps that most APs who say their child is autistic get.

There are YouTube videos available to teach you how to say the right words to get the best stamps for your GAC. Otherwise, you have to wait in Standby in DCA since the lines are wheelchair accessible there.
    Ah, so it's a Green Light thing (I would guess that Make a Wish kids, etc. would be exempt from this requirement to wait?).

I have the "avoid stairs/use alternate entrance or exit to avoid stairs" GAC. I'm not interested in abusing the system so I'm fine with that - I asked for the GAC because I can't climb stairs anymore with my knee injuries, and as long as I can avoid steps and stairs, it's doing what I need it to do.

I'm kind of sick that people would game the system for Green Light passes.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

I'm kind of sick that people would game the system for Green Light passes.
    The Green Light stamped GAC is still pretty hard to get, although it's not impossible. The two scammers on The Today Show both had Green Light passes, and I've dealt with the guy quite a bit at Splash Mt. The lady on The Today Show looked familiar too, but the man in the expose' was very familiar to CM's.

But the Alternate Arrow stamp is much easier to get, and nearly as good as the Green Light stamp. The Alternate Arrow is the stamp that anyone can get by claiming autism, claustrophobia, back issues, or a short list of invisible psychological issues with crowds or lights or noise or narrow spaces. The YouTube videos coaching people on what to say at Guest Relations for a good GAC card are all about the Alternate Arrow language.

The Alternate Arrow is the most popular stamp. Lots of former CM's, or current CM's, also know how to get the Alternate Arrow stamp. I know a guy I used to work on Canoes with, he quit Disneyland and has an AP now and goes to the same gym as me and is a young buff guy in the prime of his life. But he knows how to get the Alternate Arrow stamp by using the right language at Guest Relations claiming he has issues with standing for long periods of time, which is totally bogus. But he has a GAC for 6 people that he uses to get his friends and girlfriends (yes, plural, he's a busy guy) in to all the good rides when he goes to Disneyland.

It happens. Guest Relations knows it. Attractions management knows it. We've all known it for years and years. But no one wants to do anything about it, and the executives won't listen to Operations management teams in the parks who try and tell them its a problem. Thus it gets worse and worse and finally ends up on The Today Show. Surprise!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast