Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Knotts will have boarding pass with wait times for the disabled

At this point I hope more and more people abuse the system to finally make this whole thing get to such a disastrous level that disney has to address it.

• Ducksketeer

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Vault View Post
    At this point I hope more and more people abuse the system to finally make this whole thing get to such a disastrous level that disney has to address it.
    People have been abusing the system for years. Last month I had to sit next to woman who boarded next to me on the canal boats from the exit area with her "so called service dog" (a toy poodle) which was not for blindness, deafness or physical handicap. What about my right not to have to sit next to a dog? I don't like dogs. If she were blind or something I could understand, but she was perfectly alright.

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by USS Seawolf View Post
    People have been abusing the system for years. Last month I had to sit next to woman who boarded next to me on the canal boats from the exit area with her "so called service dog" (a toy poodle) which was not for blindness, deafness or physical handicap. What about my right not to have to sit next to a dog? I don't like dogs. If she were blind or something I could understand, but she was perfectly alright.
    Not starting a debate or offering an opinion here. Just providing information. There are service animals who are trained to provide emotional support & comfort for people with mental disabilities. There are also service animals who are trained to recognize impending seizures and other physical events & alert their owners so they can take meds or get into a 'safe' location/position before they injure themselves or others.

As far as your right not to sit next to a dog, I am sure if you had advised the CM you would have been able to sit elsewhere. I know that some people are allergic to dogs and some people are frightened of dogs (even little ones). You would have been accommodated, just as the person with the service animal was accommodated.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

"For rides that do have lines, the Boarding Pass will be required. The rider (or a member of their party) obtains a boarding time from the ride employee at the Alternate Access Entrance, equivalent to the length of the ride line. The rider is able to ride other rides that do not have lines while waiting for the boarding or “ride” time issued on the Boarding Pass. "

I haven't posted often on these boards but I do have to comment here. My son is 4 and has CP. We have a wheelchair and although he is small he still weighs about 35 pounds. Now that is not a big deal when you are lifting him up and down and for short terms but carrying him in an hour line, that is a big deal if you do that all day.

We went to Disneyland and Knotts this summer and Disneyland is far superior in how they treat disabled guests. Now, the next comment one of you will say is that it is too good and people abuse it, and I agree. However, the complete opposite end of the spectrum is at Knotts. When we went to the exits with out times, alot of the times they just ignored us.

I quoted the statement above because it is in error. That is the theory that you can ride other rides but in reality you cannot. If you are in a wheelchair you get a time to return in like 1 hour. Then you try to go ride another ride nearby and you realize that you can't get through the ride. We got a return time for the log ride for 2 hours. Then we went to try to ride another ride. We went to the mine train (nearby) and they have steps (in fact, the disabled entrance goes through a narrow cave and you still have to go up two flights of steps). So we couldn't do that. Then we tried the stagecoach. I was more than willing to push the wheel chair through the line, but at the very end of the line is a turnstile with no wheelchair access and then a flight of steps (5-6) so a disabled person in a wheelchair couldn't do that either and have an easy transfer. So in the end, we didn't want to walk all over the park with him trying to find a line we could wait in his wheel chair so we had to just wait for an hour doing nothing.

I think that many people abuse the GAC at Disneyland but at least they treat my son as a person and not ignored or as a criminal trying to get away with something.

• Ducksketeer

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Not starting a debate or offering an opinion here. Just providing information. There are service animals who are trained to provide emotional support & comfort for people with mental disabilities. There are also service animals who are trained to recognize impending seizures and other physical events & alert their owners so they can take meds or get into a 'safe' location/position before they injure themselves or others.

As far as your right not to sit next to a dog, I am sure if you had advised the CM you would have been able to sit elsewhere. I know that some people are allergic to dogs and some people are frightened of dogs (even little ones). You would have been accommodated, just as the person with the service animal was accommodated.

I'm not offering this as a debate, but rather an explanation of why I don't like to be around dogs.

I am immuno suppressed because of a medication I have to take, so I need to be wary of potential health issues from infection posed by animals; I always need to keep a safe distance from animals. Which is why I can never go to a zoo, especially one with exotic birds or reptiles. My point is that I have rights too. And since it is not me who is potentially adversely affecting anyone else, my rights should supersede anyone with an animal which might affect my well being.

A "reasonable accommodation" would have been to put the person with the animal in their own canal boat on the ride. Or have the CM first ask everyone on the canal boat ride if they had any reason why they could not be near an animal. But then again, why should I (also covered under the same American with Disabilities Act) be forced in a public setting to give an answer why I cannot be near a dog? Since the person with a service animal is only required to say it is a service animal, and not provide any proof of why it is a service animal, should I be required to disclose why I can't be near the animal? What about my right to medical privacy?

Are you aware that nobody has to even provide actual proof that an animal is a service animal? Obviously why there is so much abuse of this nowadays.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123