• Singing Drinker

Thumbs down $3, spin the wheel, takes ya chances! You might get... er... a fastpass?

Latest In the Parks has something... er... 'interesting'... down under the Haunt updates.

$3 to spin a wheel to win popcorn, cotton candy, free carnie games or two "fastpass" style front of line passes for that ride.

The question posed in the article is "Fun opportunity to line jump and win prizes, or cheesy cash grab?"

I'm coming down on the side of Cheesy Cash Grab. This seems like one step from "Pay $3 for this ride to avoid the line." From seasonal per-ride premiums *on top* of an already high gate admission.

I think I'd have a lot less problem with this if the park was operating under the original pay-per-ride system, or a Disney-style ticket book system. You're essentially doing a per-ride commodification at that point anyway.

But this... I can't explain why but the idea causes revulsion.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: $3, spin the wheel, takes ya chances! You might get... er... a fastpass?

Cheesy indeed. Very Knottsesque.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Cheesy indeed. Very Knottsesque.
    I'd kinda like to be on the line for the management calls with CP and Ouimet. There appears to be a fight for the "soul" of KBF going on.

I'm working from a theory that Matt Ouimet is knuckling under to a "monetize everything" edict in order to justify the work on the Log Ride and the like. Everything I've heard of CP's operational policies make me believe it - CP's big on new rollercoasters and the like, but not so much on non-thrill rides. I'm hoping Ouimet is using the false profit glow of one-offs like "spin your luck" on rides and the thousand and one upcharges now available for haunt to justify future expansions like a redo of the Mine Ride - or even (*gasp*) something new and groundbreaking that might elevate Knott's from regional park of third choice/national barely-ran.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

That's a very good post BogLurch. I liken it to how schools are now. We all want great schools with activities and sports and clubs with up to date equipment. However, none of us like the discount cards they have to sell or the See's candy fundraisers or wrapping paper.

We know Ouimet wants to clean up Knotts and give it a classic feel like Disneyland. But there's a price to improving things and setting up "spin a wheel to win a prize" gimmicks totally takes away from his ultimate goal.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    That's a very good post BogLurch. I liken it to how schools are now. We all want great schools with activities and sports and clubs with up to date equipment. However, none of us like the discount cards they have to sell or the See's candy fundraisers or wrapping paper.

We know Ouimet wants to clean up Knotts and give it a classic feel like Disneyland. But there's a price to improving things and setting up "spin a wheel to win a prize" gimmicks totally takes away from his ultimate goal.
    It's chicken-and-egg time. How do you prove to managers versed in EXTREME that Theme can be as profitable for your park? I'm really hoping this is the answer - short time short term profit that detracts but can easily be removed after the (hopefully positive) results of the actual long-term rejuvenation kicks in.

I think if the aesthetics of the "Spin the Wheel" game changed I'd like it more. It's a bit too carny-looking for Ghost Town, even the edge of Ghost Town, but in the end it's not a bad idea because guests will at least walk away with something for their $3.

Unlike some of the other midway games in which one could walk away with nothing at all, the $3 cost to walk away with something in hand isn't a big deal.

It's just the aesthetics of the thing that bug me.

-----

I don't find Knott's to be expensive, by the way. The upgrades for Haunt tickets on the Knott's website is allowing guests to build their own package as expensive or as cheap as they wish to go. Offering cheaper pricing for off nights is also helaping open the gates a little wider for those with lower incomes.