Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Windseeker closing

It's being removed because DOSH won't sign off on it. They don't like the three hour evacuation time (with either the rescue basket or cranking it down manually) that is required when the control system failsafes, usually when the wind speed at the top of the ride increases while the ride in operation.They consider the amount of time needed to do the procedure to be unreasonable.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Re: Windseeker closing

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    It's being removed because DOSH won't sign off on it. They don't like the three hour evacuation time (with either the rescue basket or cranking it down manually) that is required when the control system failsafes, usually when the wind speed at the top of the ride increases while the ride in operation.They consider the amount of time needed to do the procedure to be unreasonable.
    Interesting insight.

The state has been coming down rather hard on theme park operators lately it seems.

• Restless Adventurer

Re: Worlds of Fun announces Steelhawk (Knott's Windseeker) for 2014

Only in Ca-law-fornia! It's sad that Knott's found a great ride that also fit into its limited space, and then will be gone. I imagine this will give Knott's the "Maliboomer Park of the North-West". Knott's has had so many rides come and go over the years. And speaking of rides that quickly vanished; I would love for a Condor attraction to go in Windseeker's place.

I never got to ride Windseeker at all. I'm not going all the way to Missouri to ride it, either. I may get to go to Texas and see my family and then go to SFOT this year and their swing ride is 400 feet tall.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

Windseeker is leaving? Good riddance. It was the last major mistake of the old Cedar Fair regime, and its removal is yet another step in the right direction for Knott's.

Quote Originally Posted by surffnutt3000 View Post
    Windseeker is leaving? Good riddance. It was the last major mistake of the old Cedar Fair regime, and its removal is yet another step in the right direction for Knott's.
    Becoming stagnate is not the right direction for this park either.

Last year the park saw a 4% drop in attendance and is no longer the leader in the Cedar Fair chain. Also, in 1 year two signature rides have been removed!

Its time for the next big roller coaster! Its been 10 years, the park desperately needs it!

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post

Its time for the next big roller coaster! Its been 10 years, the park desperately needs it!
    I do not think that Knott's needs another coaster. They need a big family attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach View Post
    I do not think that Knott's needs another coaster. They need a big family attraction.

Really?

-Sierra Sidwinder
    -Pony Express
    -CoastRider
    -Surf Side Glider
    -Scrambler
    -Re-Freshed LogRide

The park has gotten nothing but faimily rides since Silver Bullet. They are really over due for the next big roller coaster.

I'll vote for a Dark Ride before I vote for a big coaster.

• failure for lunch

Put my vote in for a dark ride over a rollercoaster any day...
    Bullets for Breakfast
    Join the party. Face the music.

To everyone that says add a dark ride, remember, this will be a Cedar Fair dark ride. It won't have the budget of a Universal, Disney, or even Busch dark ride.

Yes, what they did to the LogRide was nice, but, all the ride infrastructure was already there. And infrastructure is a huge part of any dark ride budget.

Cedar Fair just announced a dark ride for Canadas Wonderland. Instead of going with proven dark ride manufactures such as SallyRides, Garner Holt, ect. They went with TRIOTECH, the same company that installs cheap motion simulators and 3D shows in malls. So if Knotts were to ever get a dark ride, set expectations VERY low, as rebuilding the KOD building will eat up a large part of any budget.

Would much rather have a new big coaster than a crappy dark ride.

Cedar Fair just announced a dark ride for Canadas Wonderland. Instead of going with proven dark ride manufactures such as SallyRides, Garner Holt, ect. They went with TRIOTECH, the same company that installs cheap motion simulators and 3D shows in malls. So if Knotts were to ever get a dark ride, set expectations VERY low,
    Just found it: Spotlight

• Sock Puppet

I rode it a couple of times. Nice view, but I would glady trade it for a return of Knott's Bear-y Tales.

• Minion

Three hours?!? I rode it once and never rode it again. If I'd known that an evacuation would take three hours I wouldn't have even gone the one time.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Last year the park saw a 4% drop in attendance and is no longer the leader in the Cedar Fair chain. Also, in 1 year two signature rides have been removed!
    I wouldn't even call them "signature rides" to be honest. Perilous Plunge was in the park for a number of years, sure. The attendance on that ride got to be so bad that on any given day at any given time they wouldn't even have the whole boat full. Not to mention it was only open certain seasons. Unfortunately, it needed to be removed. As for Windseeker, that ride wasn't even there long enough to be a staple in the park. By the time they got it installed, pumped out all the marketing for it and opened it, the thing was closed already.

These two rides leaving were good for Knott's if anything.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast