Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Former Churro Jockey

How is Mirror, Mirror coming along?

I went on opening night and I thought it was pretty lame. The park was empty and most mazes and rides (even Ghostrider) were a walk-on, yet Mirror, Mirror was a 30 minute wait. There is nothing scary about the maze itself, and the few monsters that were there were all curled up in a little ball on the floor whimpering. I guess the were supposed to be more like people who had been lost in the maze for a long time. However, there has never been a maze like Mirror, Mirror at Knott's before, and so I was thinking that maybe as the monsters get used to their space and understand how to use the mirrors to their advantage to scare people, that this maze may get better as Haunt goes along. So any updates from anyone who at Knott's recently as to how things are going, and also how bad the wait is?
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Re: How is Mirror, Mirror coming along?

This was the only maze my friend and I skipped last night. The line was 2 hours long the whole night and we weren't up for that kind of wait. I'm a little sad about that, but I wasn't going to wait that long for ... well, pretty much anything.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

I went to Knott's on Saturday night and the line for Mirror, Mirror was absolutely insane. I have no idea how long people had to wait for it, but from what I saw - the line hardly ever moved and wrapped around the corner of the maze, piled with people. Luckily, we had Fright Lane passes so we skipped the line and still had to wait to get in with a group of six for ten minutes.

Obvious spoilers:

As far as the experience, we were inside the maze for maybe five minutes. It was a bit of a one-trick pony in terms of the fact that you had no idea where you were and there were mirrors everywhere. It was fun for the first minute or so (and there was only maybe one or two monsters that would follow people around), but then it was like, "ok, I am lost. I'm pretty sure there's no way out of this." After a certain amount of time, a door opened next to me that wasn't there before (I watched it open) and we were let out.

My advice: if you don't have Fright Lane passes on a crowded night and this maze isn't the first one you have hit at opening, I would say to pass it. It's not worth the three hour wait... It's very cool, but the experience isn't worth the HUGE wait that this maze amasses.

FrightLane passes were the only way to go. I did enjoy Mirror, Mirror more than I expected to. It's not a "Boo!" kind of maze but one that screws with your head. I never thought I'd walk straight into a reflection of myself, but I did as I was so disoriented. Thankfully I'm not claustrophobic or I would have had a breakdown in there.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

The line was 3 hour long when i went...and when we left the park they calmed it was 5 hours long....just plan stupid for a maze to have a wait that long

Six flags has a few mazes that only let in a few people at a time but guess what the waits were 20 mins

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Six flags has a few mazes that only let in a few people at a time but guess what the waits were 20 mins
    Maybe that's because nobody goes there for their Haunt.

• Minion

Mirror Mirror was the biggest disappointment of the night for us. We went on opening weekend and we waited 2 hours for this maze! One of the reasons why it took so long was they would allow Fright Lane instant access to the maze, causing the regular line to wait even longer. The maze itself was boring. The monsters inside would block you from going a certain way, that way you don't spend too much time in the maze. I think we spent a total of 2 minutes in it. Not worth it and at the end we all wished we had done some rides instead.
    Jeff Wayne

• Former Churro Jockey

Anyone rember Curse of the Spider Woods? It was only there for one year (it evolved into an actual maze called Curse of the Spider after that). Knott's called it a "scare experience" and it was the same kind of thing as Mirror, Mirror, where they only let a small group of people in at a time, and you had a 2 - 3 minute experience before they let you out. That was considered a failure by Knotts, and it was a little better then Mirror, Mirror in my opinion. For starters, they knew the line was going to be 2hrs long so they put it somewhere where they can contain the whole line, and they installed TV screens and showed old B-level black & white horror films for the guests in line to watch. Secondly, although most if it was kind of lame, it did have one very cool effect at the end where the floor dropped a couple of inches or so and freaked everyone out for a second. But I sure don't understand why Knotts decided to try this knowing they would have a super long line and putting it in an area where containing the line is going to be an issue, let alone thought that a hall of mirrors was scary. If they wanted to do this, it should have been a PART of Trapped, which might have actually been kind of fun, not a stand alone thing listed as a maze.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

• Functional & Decorative

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    If they wanted to do this, it should have been a PART of Trapped, which might have actually been kind of fun, not a stand alone thing listed as a maze.
    Now that is a fantastic idea. I liked Mirror, Mirror, but I sort of figured out the trick immediately, as there is a similar experience at the London Dungeon. But the low capacity does make it idea for a section of a future Trapped.

Then again, this maze, which I find fun, it basically a one trick pony. I'd doubt it'd be back next year, just because of the predictability.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Exactly they should have had this in Trapped or something like it. I went thru Trilogy of Terror in Vegas and those mazes houses all had some interaction that was is missing from TRAPPED. I could have designed Trapped better after going thru Trilogy of Terror. Simple little things. Trilogy of Terror's line were controlled BUT moved. Also in the one house Circus of Terror they did have a mirror maze similar to Mirror Mirror where I had to use my hands to navigate since I was leading. And there was definitely a "dead end" we had to wait to get out of.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Anyone rember Curse of the Spider Woods? It was only there for one year (it evolved into an actual maze called Curse of the Spider after that). Knott's called it a "scare experience" and it was the same kind of thing as Mirror, Mirror, where they only let a small group of people in at a time, and you had a 2 - 3 minute experience before they let you out. That was considered a failure by Knotts, and it was a little better then Mirror, Mirror in my opinion. For starters, they knew the line was going to be 2hrs long so they put it somewhere where they can contain the whole line, and they installed TV screens and showed old B-level black & white horror films for the guests in line to watch. Secondly, although most if it was kind of lame, it did have one very cool effect at the end where the floor dropped a couple of inches or so and freaked everyone out for a second. But I sure don't understand why Knotts decided to try this knowing they would have a super long line and putting it in an area where containing the line is going to be an issue, let alone thought that a hall of mirrors was scary. If they wanted to do this, it should have been a PART of Trapped, which might have actually been kind of fun, not a stand alone thing listed as a maze.
    They kept parts of Spider Woods for the first year or two of the COTS maze that evolved from it - the opening "show" room the first season or two was the last room you mentioned, plus the basic costuming stayed the same.

There's potential in this kind of a maze, but yeah... hopefully next year something worthy will evolved from this one rather than this one sticking around.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

• Former Churro Jockey

I do remember that now that you mention it, but did they have small groups of people stop and watch a mini show? I only remember that being the one year. I think I remember the floor drop effect (it really sticks out in my mind as the best effect I've ever experienced at Knott's, even though I suspect it's been used at other haunts before). I THINK I remember just continuously walking through and noticing that the final room was the room they used for Spider Woods, but I don't remember stopping for anything at all. Certainly not like the way they do for the mini show in Trick or Treat. Hard to believe it's been so long and so many other mazes have come and gone, but I guess they're starting to blend together in my mind a little bit...
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

• Singing Drinker

Yeah - they "pulsed" groups into the room, ran you through the "attack" and then opened the door to let you in. My SO worked COTS - I kinda went through it a few times
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

• Former Churro Jockey

I think I remember it now, they had the old scare experience first but severly shortened (45 sec or so?) and then it opened to the rest of the maze.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

Loved COTS and I really enjoyed Mirror Mirror as well. We hit MM right off the bat and waited about 15 minutes. The monsters were good, surprised me a few times and I'm not an easy scare. Loved the moving strobe lights in the final stage. Sure, it would be great if the maze was another section or two large to allow more groups at a time, but I was very pleased with the new maze.
    Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast