Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• I'm the Doctor

Re: New Parking Changes...

Has anyone found a loophole to the parking yet? Like if you bought a candy bar at the market place can they validate?

Nobody has said anything about a minimum purchase, so it's conceivable that buying a candy bar or a soft drink in the Market Place could get you out as long as it's under the time limit.

Quote Originally Posted by DocDar View Post
    Has anyone found a loophole to the parking yet? Like if you bought a candy bar at the market place can they validate?
    Just show a receipt at the exit gate and the parking discount is valid. My experiences so far have been a snap.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by DocDar View Post
    Yes. Anything that gives you a receipt is valid. Even the cheap taffy from the candy store.

It was kind of inevitable that they would have to do this as their AP numbers rise. Prior to the change it was almost impossible to find marketplace parking on many weekends. I cut back on my chicken dinner visits because of this. That lot wasn't really designed for people to use while visiting the park anyway.

I think they should consider making the parking 1 hour free, 3 hours with any purchase, and 5 hours with validation from a table service location (chicken dinner or TGIF). The 5 hours would put them in line with Downtown Disney's parking rules.

• Functional & Decorative

I don't know if they need 5 hours. That's more in line with the fact Downtown Disney has a movie theater. The Marketplace does not.

But I do agree with the 1 hour free, 3 with with purchase.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    I think they should consider making the parking 1 hour free, 3 hours with any purchase, and 5 hours with validation from a table service location (chicken dinner or TGIF). The 5 hours would put them in line with Downtown Disney's parking rules.
    Great idea for the five-hour option, as folks that visit for brunch or dinner during busy periods AND want to do a little shopping could be hard pressed to make it out in three.

So if I'm 10 minutes beyond the 3 hours, I am charged $25? What if it's crowded that day and I get stuck in a line of cars?
    Has anyone had this experience yet?
    My wife and I like to go and get Chicken to go, then eat across at the park tables across the street, then shop, then leave. In the past we were 3.5 hours or so total, especially when there were longer lines of cars to leave.

• "I Break Things"

Tink and I have a longstanding tradition of doing Independence Hall on the 4th of July. It's a simple act that reminds the kids WHY we celebrate the 4th. Some years I'd buy biscuts at Chicken to Go, some years I wouldn't. This year I happened to see the parking policy change. It's subtle. If you've been to Knott's a hundred times and quit reading signs you'd miss it. The signs are the same color, same font, same text. NOTHING emphasizes the 1hr or the $25 flat fee. I caught it because I was paying attention.

So to answer a couple questions... yes you can buy a soda and get 3hrs free. Yes they're serious about charging $25 even if you're minutes over the 3hrs (we were only there 1hr 10 minutes and I would have been charged $25 for 10 minutes.

I can see an immediate issue with Mrs Knott's, business is WAY down and I suspect this has a lot to do with it. Champagne Brunch has been declining for years, this will probably be the nail in that coffin. I've been with groups that spent several hundred on either Mrs Knotts or Champagne and not even go in the park, not anymore... I've stood in the old hours long Mrs Knott's lines... again not anymore...

What I am also seeing is local abuse. If you only go to the park once, why pay $15 and walk a mile when for another $10 you get front row parking? I think this is what Knott's was thinking of and it seems to have worked in that regard. The lot wasn't "full" but there were a lot more cars vs what used to park there. For a "stay-cationing local" an extra $10 vs a half mile walk... they'll spend an extra $10. I overheard countless people commenting on that on our walk through the lot. But the question is "is it worth it"? They may make a bit more, but they're losing AP's who did 3hr park visits and locals who used to dine at Mrs Knott's and/or Champagne.

As to the parking planters I think those are a good idea. I'm not sure how many others have witnessed a "low speed backup wreck" but I've seen plenty over the years. I'm shocked it took this long for Knott's to wise up and make the planters.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

^ I am not sure why you think the brunch and CDR would suffer because of the parking changes. I went to the brunch and with friends in separate cars. Our waitress asked us if we knew about parking and whether or not we were going in the park (to ascertain which lot we parked in.) Although I already knew what to do, she informed us to show the receipt to the parking attendant as validation. She even went so far as to ask if we were in the same car, and when we told her we came in separate cars, she kindly printed copies of the receipt for each of us.

I was able to do the brunch AND walk through the Marketplace shops in three hours, and parking was free.

• "I Break Things"

CDR is known for long lines. Brunch isn't what it used to be but there was a time when that too had pretty extensive lines. You could easily chew up an hour waiting for CDR, an hour plus to eat, and then you have the walk back. Brunch used to be a leisurely event where people didn't mind paying a few bucks if they went over the 2hours free... now everyone is mindful of the all mighty clock.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by MychaelP View Post
    So if I'm 10 minutes beyond the 3 hours, I am charged $25? What if it's crowded that day and I get stuck in a line of cars?
    Has anyone had this experience yet?
    If you're over the 3 hour limit at all, you're charged the full $25. A few times I have cut it extremely close with the line of cars at the end. I'm talking 10/15 minutes left on my time limit and almost didn't make it. Sometimes one of the two stations is closed, and another time I encountered some serious question asking/talking from the person in the car to the employee.

I'm not sure what they would do if you went over the time from being caught in that line. If only one of the stations was open, I would hope they would honor the fact that you could have made it out in time had you not been caught up in the traffic at the exit. The realistic side of me thinks that won't be the case, though.

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Tink and I have a longstanding tradition of doing Independence Hall on the 4th of July. It's a simple act that reminds the kids WHY we celebrate the 4th. Some years I'd buy biscuts at Chicken to Go, some years I wouldn't. This year I happened to see the parking policy change. It's subtle. If you've been to Knott's a hundred times and quit reading signs you'd miss it. The signs are the same color, same font, same text. NOTHING emphasizes the 1hr or the $25 flat fee. I caught it because I was paying attention.

So to answer a couple questions... yes you can buy a soda and get 3hrs free. Yes they're serious about charging $25 even if you're minutes over the 3hrs (we were only there 1hr 10 minutes and I would have been charged $25 for 10 minutes.

I can see an immediate issue with Mrs Knott's, business is WAY down and I suspect this has a lot to do with it. Champagne Brunch has been declining for years, this will probably be the nail in that coffin. I've been with groups that spent several hundred on either Mrs Knotts or Champagne and not even go in the park, not anymore... I've stood in the old hours long Mrs Knott's lines... again not anymore...

What I am also seeing is local abuse. If you only go to the park once, why pay $15 and walk a mile when for another $10 you get front row parking? I think this is what Knott's was thinking of and it seems to have worked in that regard. The lot wasn't "full" but there were a lot more cars vs what used to park there. For a "stay-cationing local" an extra $10 vs a half mile walk... they'll spend an extra $10. I overheard countless people commenting on that on our walk through the lot. But the question is "is it worth it"? They may make a bit more, but they're losing AP's who did 3hr park visits and locals who used to dine at Mrs Knott's and/or Champagne.

As to the parking planters I think those are a good idea. I'm not sure how many others have witnessed a "low speed backup wreck" but I've seen plenty over the years. I'm shocked it took this long for Knott's to wise up and make the planters.
    Nice post. Interesting about the CDR situation. I've read other posts (in this thread I think) about the same issue. Seems like something people are starting to pick up on.

I can tell you that on a separate visit about two weeks ago, I went over by about 12 minutes. I had a receipt and the cashier let me through. He said they have some leeway, but not a lot....that's what he said exactly, didn't elaborate and I didn't ask. I was just grateful to not have to pay $25!

• former CM

This makes me more likely to get their Premium Season Pass that includes parking. So techskip, so they still have a good Ben Franklin at Independence Hall?

I actually am kinda curious..what if you, you know, don't actually have $25 available to you as you are leaving?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast