New Camp Snoopy rides will be for the entire family

According to a Los Angeles Times article today by writer Brady MacDonald about the ongoing Camp Snoopy refurbishment, a large factor in the rides which are being removed is that they were rides for younger kids that parents could not experience with their children.

Gone are the Log Peeler kiddie scrambler ride (48-inch maximum), Snoopy Bounce inflatable bounce house (54-inch maximum) and Charlie Brown’s Speedway kiddie whip ride (far too cramped for any adult).

The three new rides which will be installed will have "modest" minimum height requirements (36 inches) and no maximum heights, so parents can ride together with their children.

Other existing Camp Snoopy rides will get a Peanuts makeover while maintaining the old height maximums: Timberline Twister kiddie coaster (69-inch maximum) receives a new pinewood derby theme, with Charlie Brown's younger sister, Sally, at the helm, while the Red Baron plane ride (54-inch maximum) becomes Flying Ace, assuming another of Snoopy's alter-egos. Meanwhile, Lucy's Tugboat transforms into Rapid River Run with a white water rafting theme while Woodstock's Airmail kiddie drop tower gets a new queue.

Remaining Camp Snoopy rides that won't be incorporated into the Peanuts theme include Balloon Race, High Sierra Ferris wheel, Rocky Road Trucking Company and Huff and Puff -- the later a hand-powered ride with a 52-inch maximum that I've always wanted to try.

If the concept artwork that Knott's released earlier showing the new rides didn't give you a good sense of what the attractions will be like, the photo slideshow attached to the article provides photos of similar attractions built by the same Italian ride manufacturer (Zamperla) which exist at other parks. There is also a concept drawing of a planned Peanuts meet-and-greet location which will be constructed in Camp Snoopy.

While you might find the new collection of family rides at any county fair or church carnival, Knott's will be integrating a great deal of Peanuts theming and storytelling into the attractions in an effort to better compete with neighboring Disneyland.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Re: New Camp Snoopy rides will be for the entire family

Another step in the right direction for Knott's!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Knotts is being smart right now...i liked that new "pier" subland and the coaster there was pretty fun what it is...and this looks great but they do need to add a new E ticket type ride..that is not just another coaster

• failure for lunch

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Knotts is being smart right now...i liked that new "pier" subland and the coaster there was pretty fun what it is...and this looks great but they do need to add a new E ticket type ride..that is not just another coaster
    If the Mine Ride refurb is anything like the Log Ride's they pretty much are. The Log Ride was the perfect upgrade.

If I recall, the talk has always been to address the Beary Tales/ Kingdom of the Dinosaurs area next after the Calico Mine Ride is done.
    Bullets for Breakfast
    Join the party. Face the music.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by manifest View Post
    If the Mine Ride refurb is anything like the Log Ride's they pretty much are. The Log Ride was the perfect upgrade.

If I recall, the talk has always been to address the Beary Tales/ Kingdom of the Dinosaurs area next after the Calico Mine Ride is done.
    Indeed. It might not be for a while, but Matt Ouimet stated that the next big project they were going to tackle after the Mine Ride was the old KotD area. Personally, that excites me more than any of these other refurbs.