Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• always, the freaky cat

TV Screens in Queue

This week Knott's installed TV screens in several of its queues. This picture is at Bigfoot Rapids; other queues with new screens include Pony Express & Sierra Sidewinder. (There may be others on rides I didn't go on over the weekend.)
    Name:  20140518_175346.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  143.1 KB
    My opinion: Knott's has made many wonderful decisions recently, but this isn't one of them. I find the TV screens distracting and theme-destroying (and Knott's still needs all the help it can get when it comes to theme). I can't help but imagine a TV screen in the little outdoor courtyard of the Pirates of the Caribbean queue, right where the little fountain is, showing contemporary music videos followed by ads trying to get you to buy a souvenir cup!

Then again, I avoid restaurants that have TV screens, while other people seem to like them...

• failure for lunch

Re: TV Screens in Queue

It's such an embarrassing move for an otherwise near perfect two years for Knotts.

Who thought this would be a good idea?

• Parking Lot > DCA

Yikes. This is pretty tacky. Knott's should really be putting their money into creating theme, not destroying it.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Paging Mr. Lynxwiler - any insight on why/the decision behind this happening you know of, if you see this...?

Even if this is just a temporary thing for summer (which is what I am hoping), I am baffled by this choice, personally. What do TV's showing contemporary programs have to do with the themes of the Rapids or Pony Express...? At least not being reported here they are out for Ghost Rider too or the Log Ride.

Double ugh.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• failure for lunch

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Paging Mr. Lynxwiler - any insight on why/the decision behind this happening you know of, if you see this...?

Even if this is just a temporary thing for summer (which is what I am hoping), I am baffled by this choice, personally. What do TV's showing contemporary programs have to do with the themes of the Rapids or Pony Express...? At least not being reported here they are out for Ghost Rider too or the Log Ride.

Double ugh.

Not in the Log Ride's line, but in Ghostrider's and Silver Bullet's which are in Ghost Town.
    Bullets for Breakfast
    Join the party. Face the music.

• Hello Dolly.

Quote Originally Posted by manifest View Post
    Not in the Log Ride's line, but in Ghostrider's and Silver Bullet's which are in Ghost Town.
    While I'm sure few will be disappointed by theme, I'm sure most guests will be happy they have something to watch in those long lines. Especially Ghostrider, I'm always bored looking at the blank, dusty frames on the wall that looks like they used to be something. Knotts is making so many improvements, so if this is what they had in their budget I'm happy. Maybe Great America can get nice new tv to replace those old box ones they've had just sitting there for years, if they haven't already (this park also has been making great improvements so they could have).

• terrifiednerds.com

Are they crazy? It completely breaks away from the wild west theme. What's next? Cowboys talking on iPhones?

• Goofy

wow and how interesting. some people will like it others not. i am not sure on this right now.

• Goofy

or maybe they could retheme that tv with decorated wood and leaves on that tv.

I doubt FUN TV is going anywhere soon. Matt Ouimet recently mentioned the new in-park media networks:

"As you may know, we have launched our new FUN TV in-park television network. The new network has transformed the standard line wait to a more interactive guest experience with music, videos, trivia and games along with stunning visuals of what our parks have to offer.

The initial response to FUN TV has been very encouraging. We are confident the infrastructure we now have in place will allow us to grow and expand our interaction with our guests, as well as our relationships with our strategic alliance partners."

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Brilliant move!

Knott's is preparing for the increased crowds it will soon be getting as Disney excludes more and more guests from visiting DL.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Brilliant move!

Knott's is preparing for the increased crowds it will soon be getting as Disney excludes more and more guests from visiting DL.
    Ha!

•   
    • Banned User

Putting TVs in the line feels similar to seeing someone put their kids in front of a TV to babysit them because they're too busy doing other things. "Here, I don't have time for you right now, just watch this." I'm not criticizing that line of parenting, just noting that it's the same strategy.

"People are bored and complaining? Here, just give them TV. keep 'em nice and numb."

I love a good interactive queue like Indiana Jones or BTMRR in WDW where there's something to DO while in the line. Now THAT is clever. If you can't do that then make an app for your park and include a lot of games. Maybe some interactive ones based on the queue you're in. Play a game for that queue and make some hidden fiber-optic pattern in the wood light up and spell a word? Something?

...but just a TV? I'd feel like a child in the back seat of the minivan being handed a 20-year old DVD of Barney to watch.

Also, yes I hope these price increases to prompt Knotts and others to step up their game and welcome their new customers.

• always, the freaky cat

"As you may know, we have launched our new FUN TV in-park television network. The new network has transformed the standard line wait to a more interactive guest experience with music, videos, trivia and games along with stunning visuals of what our parks have to offer..."

So instead of letting us look at how beautiful the park is, we're supposed to look at a TV screen that shows us how beautiful the park is? Is that what "stunning visuals" refers to?

Why not take the money being used to install a TV network and instead use it to improve the landscaping and theme of the park? Give us something REAL to look at while in line?

Example: "Pony Express The Ride" (my kids laugh at the full name, btw) has a sign at the entrance with some information/history about the real Pony Express... but no one stops to read it because of where it's located. Perhaps some (smaller) signs like that in the queue itself... Also, the big room that the queue of Ghostrider winds around in is awful, and yet could be so much more. What about taking out just one or two of the switchbacks to create some displays about the gold rush... little displays not too different from what you see in the Jungle Cruise queue. This would be a way better use of Knott's money than installing TV screens.

After all, why would we watch music videos and commercials for souvenir cups when most of us have our own screens in our pockets with customized content to watch?

• Hello Dolly.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    After all, why would we watch music videos and commercials for souvenir cups when most of us have our own screens in our pockets with customized content to watch?
    Because as much as it's about you, it's about money.
    The screens aren't up to cater to those who want Knotts to stick 100% to theme, because they have a MAJORITY to cater to elsewhere. I don't like the screens either but...

They dont' reduce queue capacity as Ghostrider really needs (it fills up!!).

Most Amusement parks don't have the budget Disney has & yet are now expected to entertain differently than they have for as long as I can remember? So why are we acting brand new?

Also, I'm sure they must be making some money airing those spots throughout the park, that's where money part comes in.

Doesn't excuse not putting interesting signs or pictures, but with over 2 years of Knotts making pricey improvements & a reopening of another classic this summer, the last thing I'm going to be is disappointed because Knotts had to quickly cater to the majority (summer crowds).

Seriously though, that Ghosrtrider wait is miserable this will only help. Now maybe next summer or offseason, they can make even better, themed entertainment but this will do for now. Believe in Knotts, sometimes they just have to do what they have to do they're a business too but I feel they've proven themselves lately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast