Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Halloween Haunt 2013: video maze recap and discussion.

It's getting into July proper now, and when you are me, that means one thing: thoughts wander ahead to realize, August is coming, and then September, and before you know it, shall be the most wonderful time of the year: Halloween and time for Knott's Scary Farm! Hooray fog!

Last year was a really good year for mazes and entertainment as a whole, and I didn't get to catch everything, but still had a blast - I think it's a safe bet Dominion Of The Damned, Trick Or Treat, Black Magic, Forevermore, Gunslinger's Grave and Pinocchio Unstrung will be returning, along with a version of Trapped most likely, and the Witch's Keep overlay for the Calico Mine has already been confirmed. Of that roster, I can't see many going away - they are all 'too new', with an astounding three being brand new and three more being only in their second season.

Has Endgames reached the end of it's run? They have some interesting concepts in the walk through and some good effort, but the energy in it always seems a bit 'off' to me - it could be tweaked and tightened further, but it has never really registered personally for me in being irreplaceable or a great concept. There is possibility there. Delirium is also rather up there in years comparatively, but the concept and 'ick factor' remain strong and I expect it will be returning with some editing/freshening up. And then we come to Uncle Willy's delightful Slaughterhouse - at this point, a veteran of six (!) seasons of Haunt. The concept is one that will always be effective if done well, and the creative team and talent has proven very able to mix up the experience, deliver the gore and keep it lively even when all the tricks should be well-worn and known to guests, which is no small feat. I am very curious to see if it will return for year number seven, or if the BBQ restaurant and meat plant finally will be boarded up and condemned for unsanitary practices and something new replace them this Haunt.

That brings us to Mirror Mirror - poorly managed last year, and barely experienced by a fraction of Haunt guests. Will it get another shot or be a one-time-only maze? Time will tell but I am not optimistic about the chances of it coming back in same format, for myself. It could be a very interesting and ambitious year if Endgames, Mirror Mirror and Uncle Willy are all packed in and replaced, making basically a near-entirely fresh Haunt experience, counting tweaks in the newer mazes (Forevermore, doubtless, will be reworked some at least) - but I don't expect all three to hit the chopping block by any means, realistically.

What are your thoughts, fellow Haunt fans? What likely will bid adieu and what should stay? Here come the videos from last year, for a pleasant little refresher and blast of October spirit for your mid-summer delight:

All videos from the superlative Theme Park Adventure youtube channel, who always captures the Haunt magic in full force.

Looking forward to the fog rolling in across Ghost Town, as I know some of you are out there as well....the final four videos will be in the next post.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: Halloween Haunt 2013: video maze recap and discussion.

• Minion

Great Post! I really enjoyed last years Haunt, we even did one of the Hotel packages. My only complaint about last year was the wait for Mirror Mirror which I'm sure had something to do with capacity and letting the Fright Lane in first every time they came up.

The only mazes I hope they get rid of are EndGames, Delirium, and Slaughterhouse. I really love the scenic design of Trick or Treat but it lacks the scare talent and the length. Nothing in that maze screams "scary" to me, but it's really fun to talk through

I think Knott's could use a maze based on a movie franchise or something of the sort, something that people are familiar with. I enjoy going to Universal for that reason, but I enjoy Knott's for its history and whimsical factor.

Now just debating if I should get the Frightlane pass this year
    Jeff Wayne

Booked the gruesome getaway package which seems to include the VIP and admission, I hope it does as I would not want to miss a single maze. Stoked for this and HHN at the end of September.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBlueBMW View Post
    Booked the gruesome getaway package which seems to include the VIP and admission, I hope it does as I would not want to miss a single maze. Stoked for this and HHN at the end of September.
    If you hit the mazes pretty much first, have front-of-line access with your package, and don't wait for coasters or 'normal' rides you should be able to do them all with ease, especially if going earlier in the season. You will doubtless have favorites and I found could go through the 2 or 3 top ones multiple times when went opening weekend, plus see 2 shows. Going early in the run of Haunt makes a huge difference.

How did you book the "gruesome getaway package"? I can't find anywhere to purchase tickets or packages for Haunt.

Joe

Last year was fantastic. Some really good new mazes, some nice re-workings of old ones, we were finally rid of Dia.

I expect most of last year's first/second year runs to return. So Pinnochio, Trick, Dominion, Gunslinger (sadly), Forevermore are all almost guaranteed to make a showing.

Mirror rorriM I don't think we'll see again, at the very least not in its current state. I was able to get my group on it first thing on our trip last year, and we did enjoy it, but we also pretty much just walked on, if we had had to wait as long as I hear some people had to I think I'd have been incredibly disappointed.

Trapped is again all but guaranteed to make a showing again, hopefully closer to the first year than last year's. I enjoyed The New Experiment, particularly the VIP lounge we had to hang out in, but as a whole I don't know if it was as effective or as cringe-worthy as the first.

Endgames is probably on the way out, Slaughterhouse too (if it does make it back this year, I don't expect it again next year). Delirium I can see going, but I really do hope it has at least one last year in it. I absolutely love that maze, and being the third of the mazes tied in with the Mangler asylum, I'd rather like if my dad, who got me into haunt so many years ago and who is finally getting to go again after moving out of state 4 years ago, can have a chance to go through it, having of course been through the previous two.

Really disappointed that they brought back the skeleton key crap though. It was stupid expensive, especially with each person having to purchase their own, and from what I hear it wasn't even really worth the money last year.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Skeleton Key was hit or miss - overall, not so worth the price point, I feel.

Looking forward very much to news of what will be new this year - hoping Endgames at least will bite the dust, and if that happens, Delirium too maybe so can have mostly new in the 'werewolf'/backstage area.

the packages are through knott's own hotel. If you check on the dates of the event, there will be different packages available.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

I think the question was, where did you find the dates? I looked at the Knott's hotel site and didn't see anything about booking the package.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I can't see Mirror Mirror coming back. What a huge disappointment. The line, the so-so execution...imagine waiting over 2 hours for a 2 minutes maze. If not for the front of the line, I'd be livid.

I really liked the design and actual maze of mirror mirror, unfortunately due to the nature of the maze, it has to have long lines unless you substantionaly increase the footprint to allow more sections for more groups to be in the maze at the same time. Maybe they can incorporate this into Trapped.

As for Trapped, it was a joke this last year. The Elevator, bug room, and flooded room had great designs but minimal scare. The flooded room had no puzzle or task to really figure out or endure. The following rooms were terrible though. Each room smaller and smaller, simpler and less frighting with nothing to do. The final room was a joke, just an empty from, a ladder, an Allen wrench and a grate on the wall. Hopefully they will illuminate or shrink the lobby area to give Trapped the room it needed for the second half plus make it a bit more challenging.
    Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

• former CM

Forgive this duplicate post--I thought it better than starting a new thread:

Tomorrow--WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 6, Knott's has a PR event about this year's Scary Farm. Looking forward to Micechat's review after that!

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I can't see Mirror Mirror coming back. What a huge disappointment. The line, the so-so execution...imagine waiting over 2 hours for a 2 minutes maze. If not for the front of the line, I'd be livid.
    I had front of the line and I was upset I even wasted my time on that maze. I went with my husband, and I joked: "I heard a rumor that if you go in a funhouse mirror maze and make all left turns its really easy to get out." He laughed about it and suggested we try it. Making only left hand turns we were out of that crowded maze in a minute. But in that single minute, I saw enough of it to know it was awful. Even worse, it was packed with enough people to give a fire marshal a heart attack! The staff attending the line was really surly about the whole process, basically telling anyone that if they needed help getting out, they would be ejected from the park. I would be glad to see this one go.

I'm looking forward to seeing new mazes this year.

• Foolish Mortal

Great post! I can't wait til this years Haunt!

Btw, did anyone else equate that guys light on his camera to taking flash pix on dark rides? I would have been pretty T'O'ed if I was behind him going through the mazes with that bright light!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast