View Poll Results: Should Knott's have a scary/fun haunted house?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Long live live monsters!

5 50.00%
  • No, because I hate animals, comedy, music and America.

1 10.00%
  • No, because I'd be scared and like denying pleasure to others.

1 10.00%
  • No, because I want that bears riding dinosaurs ride back.

0 0%
  • Jcruise, you seriously need to get a life. We're not kidding.

4 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

• former CM

Now that U Hollywood is closing its House of Horrors, should Knotts. . .

Universal is making the terrible decision to close its House of Horrors on September 1.
    Stinky linky:

http://micechat.com/forums/universal-studios-california/196792-house-horrors-ush-closing-september-1st-2014-a.html

Should Knott's hire some of these highly professional, fulll-time, year-round monsters for a new, year-round, walk or ride-through haunted house? They could make them non-Universal versions of famous monsters.

You may vote for more than one option.

I've taken the liberty of having three negative options to increase the likelihood of "Yes" getting more votes than any one individual "No" response, and I've attached ridiculous, self-insulting words to each "no" option to discourage anyone from voting "no," even if their intentions are good and their opinions should be valid. Bwah, ha, ha, ha, haaaaa!

I've given this, my own thread, 1 star because I do have just a sliver of integrity.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 08-04-2014 at 05:09 PM.

• former CM

Re: Now that U Hollywood is closing its House of Horrors, should Knotts. . .

^ Ever notice how a closed favorite attraction can bring out the worst in adults? ^

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Knott's should bring back the Haunted Shack and rip out the dumb upcharge slingshot ride - make it a little spooky, a lot hokey (on purpose) and staffed with energetic tour guides (and bring back Slanty Sam and Shakey Sadie, of course).

The Haunted Shack
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Knott's should bring back the Haunted Shack and rip out the dumb upcharge slingshot ride - make it a little spooky, a lot hokey (on purpose) and staffed with energetic tour guides (and bring back Slanty Sam and Shakey Sadie, of course).

The Haunted Shack
    I was excited by the name "Haunted Shack" and optimistic since it was presented by Regions Beyond, but then disappointed by an attraction that probably wouldn't cut it in 2014, though some elements could be updated, like blood flowing uphill when Dracula reaches out for it.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

The 'dated' nature of it could be updated sure but the original is a Knott's classic - more illusions could be packed into a new one besides just being a 'slanted house'/gravity spot and more old-fashioned charm packed into a new script about the old miner's house out by the cemetery, etc, seeing as the park accurately trying to recapture the elements that made the place stand out pre-Cedar Fair.

A new year-round haunt style walkthrough with a western theme could also be very cool with only a few actors and lots to look at (minimal scares), but the Shack is part of park history and certainly not replaced with anything that could be deemed an 'improvement' thematically.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Iron-Clad Allie

The Haunted Shack
    Agree! Knott's has too many low-themed carny carny thrill rides. A themed Haunt attraction would give me more reason to visit Knotts as opposed to skipping it completely as I usually dowhile enjoying while opting strictly for Disniey and Uni.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Parking Lot > DCA

The Haunted Shack
    I second this. The ridiculous pay-to-ride swing that is there currently needs to go. It's one of more annoying eye sores in that area. I wish they would remove it, revitalize the "panning" area behind Boot Hill as much as possible (with what they can do - I know that Pony Express's ugly footprint is practically right in the middle), and bring back the Haunted Shack. Last time I looked behind Boot Hill, there was no water and the old static figure was rotting away..

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Agree! Knott's has too many low-themed carny carny thrill rides. A themed Haunt attraction would give me more reason to visit Knotts as opposed to skipping it completely as I usually dowhile enjoying while opting strictly for Disniey and Uni.
    Knott's has some misses still, but it also has some pretty good hits as well. Just the fact that they are trying so hard to revitalize the charm and preserve the history (not to mention the beautification they have been doing all over) was enough for me to get a Season Pass again for the first time in years. I am excited to see what else they have in store.
    Last edited by explodingboy; 08-05-2014 at 11:30 AM.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    . . . the fact that they are trying so hard to revitalize the charm and preserve the history (not to mention the beautification they have been doing all over) was enough for me to get a Season Pass again for the first time in years. I am excited to see what else they have in store.
    Good move, explodingboy! BTW, what's the origin of your Micechat name?

Here are some Knott's tips:
    Updated Knott's tips. Please add more!

After Disneyland, it seems like Knott's is the California park that more Micechatters have affection for.

Spending a year with a Knott's "Season Pass" is a nice way to get by if you're taking a break from those expensive Disney APs. Why does Knott's call it a season pass when it's much more than that?

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Good move, explodingboy! BTW, what's the origin of your Micechat name?
    It's a song by Alkaline Trio!

Knotts has tried to keep a Haunt maze open during non Haunt hours/season.

Anyone remember Alien Attack from 2000-2001?

Knotts opened that maze up for at least 1-month prior to the start of Haunt as a preview/advertisement for Haunt.

It was revealed during one of the West Coast Bash events, when they tried to keep Alien Attack open for day guests, it was not only unpopular but received a lot of guest complaints for being too scary/graphic. They have since never opened a maze outside of Haunt because of that.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
    Knotts has tried to keep a Haunt maze open during non Haunt hours/season.

Anyone remember Alien Attack from 2000-2001?

Knotts opened that maze up for at least 1-month prior to the start of Haunt as a preview/advertisement for Haunt.

It was revealed during one of the West Coast Bash events, when they tried to keep Alien Attack open for day guests, it was not only unpopular but received a lot of guest complaints for being too scary/graphic. They have since never opened a maze outside of Haunt because of that.
    Interesting! Thanks, Ryan! They could have a tamer version open till 1 or 2pm (rated PG12) , then close for two hours and open a rated PG14 version. Then it could be plussed (and closed during the days) for the Scary Farm.

It'd be cool if it were on a track and rode into 3-5 or so additional rooms just for the Scary Farm. Imagine a Haunted Mansion Doom Buggy turning before or after the hitchhiking ghosts and going to a part of the mansion you've never seen before.

• Singing Drinker

I'd totally be down for a modernized version of the original Haunted Shack attraction. Not TOO modernized - it's supposed to be about practical, up close physical gags, not a 3D movie.

As to making a Haunt attraction... it just hasn't really worked so far in this market. There's Sinister Pointe, but it's sporadic and not truly a year-round operational event. Beyond that, the Knott's failed experiment was the only other year round gig and it's not exactly a strong argument for more.

I love mazes. I would totally be one of the repeat customers - much the same as I'm the jerk who insists on dragging my party through House of Horrors *every* time we were there and it was open. Sadly I fear I'm in the minority though.

You'd be saddling a new attraction with a truly difficult job. It'd have to be by design neither fish nor fowl - you couldn't truly go for the scare or the horror effects without alienating a large part of the non-Haunt-friendly tourist crowd. So you tone things down... and wind up with something not truly representative of the Haunt experience.

I've sometimes thought you could get away with something if we had a Holidayland style park out here - you'd have preset holiday themed areas with their own built-in cultural expectations, and in a situation like that having a Haunt style maze seems a much better fit. But sadly, we don't have anyone local trying that kind of gig.

Maybe we can talk Santa's Village into a slight thematic shift?
    Woo! Spring is coming!

It wouldn't be in Knott's interests to have a tamer version in the day as people would equate that with what the nighttime experience would be like. It could be the tamest maze possible and people would still complain that it scared their two year old. WDW had to cancel a pin release recently because the pins made people sad. So Knott's loses either way: it doesn't work as an advertisement for Haunt since they have to tone it down and day guests will still complain.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    It wouldn't be in Knott's interests to have a tamer version in the day as people would equate that with what the nighttime experience would be like. It could be the tamest maze possible and people would still complain that it scared their two year old. WDW had to cancel a pin release recently because the pins made people sad. So Knott's loses either way: it doesn't work as an advertisement for Haunt since they have to tone it down and day guests will still complain.
    Disney's American Haunted Mansions have been doing OK since 1969 & 1971.

And at U's House of Horrors they effectively warned guests that it was scary. The lobby leading to the entrance effectively scared away some who shouldn't enter.
    In my opinion (failing to mind my own business), parents who force their terrified kids on scary attractions are awful, but that was another thread filled with studies linked by Mr. Wiggins.