Thread: Mens Health

• there's always my way...

Smile Mens Health

Hello Boys, quick question for you all. I am on a strict protien no carb or surgar diet and have been doing great but I am getting tired of my protien suplement and would like to know what you may sugest. I am taking in an average of 60mg daily of ProStat which tastes horrible and is expensive. Also I had the lap band procedure done so taste is everything.
    Come to the dark side,
    we have cookies.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

Re: Mens Health

Why not just eat a healthy, balanced diet?
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 6956 miles, 398,000 feet

• there's always my way...

Ok allow me to expand my question as it may have not been understood. I have the lap band and with the lap band eating is very minimal. Which means I need to look for suplements. So in regards to suplements, do any of you take them? Dont get me wrong a well ballanced diet is wonderfull but for someone unable to do that, which protien shake, vitamins or mix do you use?
    Come to the dark side,
    we have cookies.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

Have you not talked to a dietitian who specializes in your situation? I've done a quick search and found one site that looks promising. I have no idea as to its authority:

Lap Band for Life.com - Post Surgery Diet and Nutrition

You didn't say how long it's been since you had the surgery, but it looks like, over time, you can introduce more diverse foods, as long as you stay away from certain ones and follow established guidelines.

Beyond that, I'll admit I can't really relate to your situation. Mine is totally different, as I use diet (and exercise) to keep cholesterol under control without medication. The only "supplement" I take is a daily multivitamin.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 6956 miles, 398,000 feet

• For You!

Just make sure that you're getting digestive enzymes to add to your protein diet or you will get gout. Not very fun!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Eat healty always

Balance a diet with seafood in it at least 3 times a week... a good 2 mile walk everyday... work out a few days a week! Work on a pound or two a month and it will stay off.

Some advice about food balance:
    Eicosanoids are hormone-like compounds formed in our cells, that must send and receive messages to all body cells.
    We produce eicosanoids from Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids, or oils. There are omega 3 and omega 6 derived essential fatty acids eicosinoids. If we eat food with amounts of omega 6 to omega 3 close to a 1:1 ratio, we are in balance. That is close to what the ideal ratio should be.
    We have in our body the Good and Bad eicosanoids. Truly ,they are not good neither bad. They are called this way when made from omega 3 or omega 6, respectively. They counteract each other in such a way that when omega 6 eicosanoids are, for example, pro inflammatory, if there is enough omega 3 to produce the balancing amounts of anti inflammatory omega 3 eicosanoids, there is balance.

Let me see if I can help. I am very serious about my health. I workout twice a day, five days a week. I consume 200 mg of whey protein a day all on a 2,000 calorie diet. The only way I can possibly comsume that much protein is to use whey protein. So I buy EAS whey protein at Costco. It comes in a large bag and lasts me for nearly a month. Its much cheaper than buying whey protein supplements in the store. Another thing I like about the EAS is that its much lower in fat than Muscle Milk. I also tend to stay away from carbs and sugars. I also manage to eat some solid food during the day, usually for dinner, which consists of lean meat and vegtables ( I love broccoli ). I don't think I have consumed a french fry in years! I'm not sure how much that helps. But I have consuled a nutrionist in the past.