Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Ever get strange looks because you're a Disney fan?

Just curious.... do any of you other guys over 30 get wierd looks or comments because you like Disney? I'm a guy who just turned 40, a Disney fan and proud of it. Around my desk here at work I have a few Disney items (A waterbottle from Animal Kingdom, a Jack Skellington coffee mug and a Disneyland calendar), which to me are fairly subtle, but it's enough to draw the occasional wierd look or comment like 'don't you think you are too old for Disney' or 'I take it you haven't grown up yet'. Have any of you guys experienced this?
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: Ever get strange looks because you're a Disney fan?

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie View Post
    Just curious.... do any of you other guys over 30 get wierd looks or comments because you like Disney? I'm a guy who just turned 40, a Disney fan and proud of it. Around my desk here at work I have a few Disney items (A waterbottle from Animal Kingdom, a Jack Skellington coffee mug and a Disneyland calendar), which to me are fairly subtle, but it's enough to draw the occasional wierd look or comment like 'don't you think you are too old for Disney' or 'I take it you haven't grown up yet'. Have any of you guys experienced this?
    The people I work with luckily are understanding of it. I have a bunch of Disney people in my job who own DVC, visit many times a year, etc, so at work I don't get the comments so much, except occasionally from the students.

When I am out with a Disney shirt, watch, etc. I sometimes do get it, and it used to bother me, but not so much anymore. I have learned to be happy with what I like, and MC is a great place to see that I'm not the only one who likes it too.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Down Pluto!

Nope.

People I work with are cool. Sounds like you work with/hang out with a bunch of insecure losers. You have my condolences.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

No, actually in the place I use to work, now retired, everyone knew of my interest in all things Disney, so I was the go-to man, when any question arose about anything having to do with Disney.

• Mkcoastie

Wink Re: Ever get strange looks because you're a Disney fan?

I'm active duty military.......and a disel mechanic to boot. Needless to say It's not an enviorment that is very conductive of my disney obsession. Never the less, beyond the looks of what I can only desribe as.......confusion, they take my passions in stride.

• "Always On The Move..."

I'm lucky in that a number of people I work with are all into Disney as well. In fact we tease each other when one gets to go down to the parks and the others can't.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• Disneyland Connoisseur

I'm only 16 years old and don't belong in this forum, but I get weird looks, and I'm just a kid! I have a few friends that are also Disney fans, but most of my friends aren't into Disney, and think that it is for "children". I have made a point of keeping my Disney fandome a secret for those that don't know me well, and I don't make it extremely evident in front of most of my friends. Now days, people think of Disney as Hannah Montana, Jonas Brothers, etc. They think that Disney is meant for tweenaged girls. However, they have forgotten about the true Disney, the classic movies and such. Either they forgot about Disney magic, or never experienced it.
    4th Trip To Disneyland: June 28th-June 30th!

Out of 250 employees, I can think of at least 10 passholders, so it's a pretty condusive environment at work. I do get the occasional "Is that the only place you can vacation?" when a WDW trip is planned, but that's fine with me if not everybody understands why I'd want to make repeat visits. If they did, the parks would be too crowded.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Not really there are only a couple of us were I work at and one of the guys spent his honeymoon there the other guy and his wife go there once a year but I think I am the biggest Disney Fan at work I have stuff in the office and our clients think it's pretty cool...so I guess after that big gust of wind my answer would be no.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie View Post
    Just curious.... do any of you other guys over 30 get wierd looks or comments because you like Disney?
    Nope!

But it's probably because people can't tell until they really get to know me. I don't wear ANY "disneyland" apparel ever (because they look awful for the most part) but do occasionally sport an Oswald tee from Lucky Jeans. People don't even associate him with Disney nor do they know who he is.

I have a TON of disney toys but they're not at the office aside from a few captain eo / alien encounter plush. You know... stuff not quickly associated with "Disney".

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Minion

I get asked why im always on MC at work and they say are you talking about disney again? I say yea just passing the time and getting info. I think my brother finds my love the weirdest but i just remind him that he spends countless hours on WoW so were even!
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

• mountains beyond mtns.

I probably do but there are many other things about me that might elicit strange looks and so I've learned to block it out over the years.

For instance, I collect toys and so when I'm paying for 3 or 4 or even 5 action figures, it can draw strange looks especially at Target or Walmart since they sell much more than just toys. I just block it out and pay little heed to them. Of course, if there is self checkout at Walmart then often times, I'll go do that.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by brand42 View Post
    I probably do but there are many other things about me that might elicit strange looks and so I've learned to block it out over the years.

For instance, I collect toys and so when I'm paying for 3 or 4 or even 5 action figures, it can draw strange looks especially at Target or Walmart since they sell much more than just toys. I just block it out and pay little heed to them. Of course, if there is self checkout at Walmart then often times, I'll go do that.

I buy toys too. They always ask me if I want a gift receipt thinking it's a gift. I go "SURE!"

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Constantly. I even teach and my students even are like..."you're weird."

It's funny too, coming out of the closet was easy by comparison. The Disney thing? That's where I clip my sentences and watch what I do.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Quote Originally Posted by mkcoastie View Post
    I'm active duty military.......and a disel mechanic to boot. Needless to say It's not an enviorment that is very conductive of my disney obsession. Never the less, beyond the looks of what I can only desribe as.......confusion, they take my passions in stride.
    I'm sure my husband would identify. A couple of his troops came over to help us move the heavy stuff when we were moving....they saw the MNSSHP picture of him dressed as the Mad Hatter, and wanted copies. LOL

I think I'm the biggest fan I know. Even my poor husband thinks I'm beyond hope. I start to say something Disney related and he says...."Disney....again?" Heehee.

I usually get compliments...just today, I went to pick up lunch, and our usual waitress asked where we had been. I said "Disney World". Then, I paid with my Disney credit card......which the cashier commented on. When it was handed back, I tucked it into my Mickey Head wallet. Which, she also commented on. We then proceeded to talk about Epcot, and when she visited.

I think that's the response I usually get...people want to know all about the parks...or want to share favorite memories. No weird looks, yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast