Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

My son just shaved for the first time!

Since my son is turning 15 tomorrow, I decided it was time for him to shave the peach fuzz off his chin. I bought him a Schick razor and some Stetson after shave and cologne. We took before and after pictures of him.I told him to try his best to look normal since I'll be showing those pictures at his wedding rehearsal dinner some day!

So....tell us ...what special tips and techniques do you guys all have for shaving your mustaches/sideburns/beards?

• Senior Minion

Re: My son just shaved for the first time!

Beards are wonderful things, and more men should have them.

However, your son is probably a few years away from being able to grow one. He might want to start with the mustasche first, then grow it into a muttonchops, then a goatee, then fill in the sideburns.

Then all that's left is the trim work. Unless he wants to look like one of the Smith Brothers!

• Senior Minion

Gilette MACH 3 RAZOR, doesnt cut me as easily I havent had to clean up cuts in a long time. Shaving Cream choices depend on the skin. "Go with the grain!" And take your time otherwise he will have razor burn.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Circle of Ancients

I actually go "Against the Grain". I love to get that "Smooth as a baby's butt skin ... at least for a few hours.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

I'd kill myself if I tried shaving with a non-electric razor. I never actually learned how to use a disposable, tried, and yeah, not pretty. I was just sorta given an electric razor for christmas one year and was on my own from that point. I hate shaving.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Huh?

15?! I first shaved when I was 2!

Of course, I didn't need to and all that came out of it was a bloody lip that lasted for quite a long time.

Happened in a KOA campground in Georgia. We were on our way to WDW. And I still remember the whole thing very vividly.

As for shaving -- it's really experimental. Some people can go with the grain. Me? That does absolutely nothing for me. I can't get ANYTHING unless I go against. He just needs to nick himself up a lot before he figures out what exactly he needs to do.
    -Tim

• e komo mai

Anders - I hate shaving, too.

I first shaved when I was 14 or so. It felt weird to me.

I'm an against the grain (no, really?) type shaver. If I go with the grain, it looks like I didn't shave at all. '***** Eye for the Straight Guy' says to go with the grain but it doesn't work for me.

My recommendations are to shave after a hot shower (or in a hot shower), to shave slowly - don't rush and inflate your cheeks while you shave the lower area of your cheeks, that'll make the hairs stand up more...

• I was deleted.

aw, how cute! You should post the pictures!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    I'd kill myself if I tried shaving with a non-electric razor. I never actually learned how to use a disposable, tried, and yeah, not pretty. I was just sorta given an electric razor for christmas one year and was on my own from that point. I hate shaving.
    You know, it's funny, but my father always used (and swore by) an electric razor. Yet, for me, they never got close enough or worked well enough.

Then again, my father was the kind of guy who had to shave about once a month, whether he needed to or not.

• Happy Memories

After a hot shower is good. I hear it softens the hairs and makes the shaving easier... or something like that. I hate shaving myself and avoid it as much as possible. Only reason I do it at all is to look presentable for work. One reason i like to limit my shaving is that if I do it every day I always wind up with razor burn. I have to do every other day at the most, but would prefer to only do it once a week if work allowed. I like being stubbly.

•   
    • Minion

I have owned 3 electric razors in my life, and the things seem totally useless to me... I had girlfriends who insisted that I use them for fear that I would cut myself... "Whatever..."

I have gotten so good at shaving with my disposable safety razors that I never cut myself... It wasn't always that way... the first time I totally scraped a layer of skin off... The key is knowing how much pressure to apply... and in the words of Micheal Keaton: "Up and down... Never side to side..."

Unfortunately the boy will have to learn some of this the hard way... But he likely won't tell you when he is making mistakes...
    Check out my other blog:

• Why do you keep talking?

Shaving sucks. I have to go up AND down just so it doesn't feel stubly and I use a disposable! Not to mention I do actually have to go sideways in some parts. And after using an electric, it feels like the second day of stuble if I would have used a disposable. I really really hate shaving.

Use lots of warm water (especially if he doesn't use shaving cream his first few times) and he just needs time to figure out what works good for him.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• GO DBACKS!!

Exfoliate.

That's a word more men need to learn.

Exfoliate.

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

• there's always my way...

A good aloe shave gell is key to shaving and a mach 3.
    I get razor rash with an electric shaver.
    After shave is so helpful as well.
    Come to the dark side,
    we have cookies.

• That Guy

Stetson lotion and Cologne? Don't you love your son? Eesh, that is like English Leather or Old Spice, don't do it!!!

The shaving experts say to shave after showering when your beard is loosened up. Then shave with the grain, rinse, lather and shave against the grain. Or let it grow out all creepy and join a militia.

It seems like the modern trend with facial hair is less is more. Subtle side burns, etc. Mustaches can get kind of 'highway patrol-ish' which is never good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast