Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Are any of you guys using accutane?

If so, I have a quetion. My son has been using it for 10 days so far and I know his acne is going to get worse before it gets better. I also know it's very drying. What I didn't know is that it would also dry out the scalp. I noticed my son had some big flakes in his hair and he said his scalp is really itchy. Have any of you had this same problem And if so, did you switch to a dandruff shampoo and did it solve the problem!

I feel bad for anyone with severe acne, but I hear accutane really does the trick of getting rid of it! Can't wait to see my son acne free!!
    Last edited by Princess Buttercup; 09-05-2006 at 09:33 AM.

• Huh?

Re: Are any of you guys using accutane?

Don't use dandruff shampoo... most hairstylists will swear that it actually dries out the scalp even more and can be damaging to your hair.

Go to a salon and get some of the specialty products. The Spanish Moss & Walnut that they make for men at Great Clips is pretty good. Or if you don't go there, ask one of the stylists what they might reccomend.

I'm no professional. I just know from personal experience and the advice of others that things such as Head & Shoulders are not the way to go.
    -Tim

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post

I'm no professional. I just know from personal experience and the advice of others that things such as Head & Shoulders are not the way to go.
    Thank you!

• Santa Barbara, CA

I freebase it. My hair then fell out and my scalp is now silky.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• All you need is LOVE

I believe that's what my friend used. It took a while for it to get better before it got worse then its all clear now.

1293.67 miles from WDW and 1628.52 miles to DL

Tea Tree shampoo works wonders for that...you can get it in the salons...and it's tingly.
    Kuzco: I can't believe this is happening.
    Yzma: Then I bet you weren't expecting *this*.
    [Yzma pulls up her dress. Kuzco and Pacha scream]
    Yzma: [Yzma revealing a knife attatched to her leg] Ah-ha.
    [Kuzco and Pacha sigh with relief]

• Quality not quantity

Ohh geeze, I read the initial post as "Aspartame" (aka NutraSweet) and to say the lest I was a bit perplexed...
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

My son Steven was on Accutane, but he doesn't remember having problems with his scalp.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeYzma View Post
    Tea Tree shampoo works wonders for that...you can get it in the salons...and it's tingly.

Tea Tree DOES work...and yes, the tingle feels cool too. I have an alergy to Milk and it causes dandruff - believe it or not.

Earlier this year, I decided to start drinking VITAMIN D Whole Milk in my protein shakes....and about 2 weeks after that, my dandruff was back.....and I had put on about 10lbs. Milk does cause me to gain weight.

I stopped the milk and went back to Soy Milk for protien drinks and I am on my wifes Gestational Diabetes diet - so that along with my 4 or 5 mornings at the gym and I dropped that 10lbs quickly along with 4 or 5 more. I was weight 234 at the doctor about 5 weeks ago and this morning I weighed 217 or 218. So, no more LECHE for me - unless it's a scoop of ice cream now and again.

• Circle of Ancients

I used it when I was a teen, hated that stuff!!! I didn't have any problems with my scalp until I started balding at age 19. But that (hopefully) didn't have anything to do with the Accutane.

• GO DBACKS!!

Call his Dermatologist PB. I am sure they will have a good recommendation and if not they may want to see K in their office if this isn't a typical side effect!!

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

• Man of Logic and Reason

I used it and now my face is rather dry, but I never really had any problems scalp or otherwise. I still have some minor acne problems, but no where near as bad as it used to be. Most people will have it completely clear up, so tell your son to stick it out cause it's worth it.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

I took it when I was young. It worked great and stopped my cystic acne in its tracks. Fast forward 20 years and my skin is still clear. The only complications I remeber were cracking lips and bloody noses from the drying effects. Tell him good luck and keep with it. Is it still a 6 month treatment with monthly blood tests?

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
    I took it when I was young. It worked great and stopped my cystic acne in its tracks. Fast forward 20 years and my skin is still clear. The only complications I remeber were cracking lips and bloody noses from the drying effects.

His lips are pretty dry and kind of puffy looking , but he's using a ton of chapstick. His skin already looks a lot better and it's only been 12 days since he started using the medicine.

Tell him good luck and keep with it. Is it still a 6 month treatment with monthly blood tests?

Yes. The doctor said my son's skin should look great after two months and that the results will be permanent. I just hope it doesn't do any damage since there are so many possible side effects.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

that is what the blood tests are for. try carmax in the littlt tub, it moisturizes a lot better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast