Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

More Car Issues (Steering, perhaps?)

Ok, car men, I have an issue.
    I THINK I mentioned this before, about warning lights and such coming on (2003 cavalier, BTW). Took it to the shop, they said they fixed it, still had the problem but I didn't take it back 'cuz I thought they might charge me more and I was broke.

well, of course the lights still come on, though I can deal BUT the steering makes an AWFUL noise, it's gotten worse since I was gone and didn't drive her for a week. Every time I turn the steering wheel hard, it kinda sounds like it's squeaking, like it's rubbing against something w/no lubrication... I don't have any trouble steering, it just makes a noise.

could it be the power steering fluid? Or some other fluid I can check? any ideas?

TIA and I hope you can understand this!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Ok time for cocoa

Re: More Car Issues (Steering, perhaps?)

Does it do this while the car is standing still and you turn the steering wheel back and forth, stop to stop, motor is running. (it needs fluid.) Or while the car is rolling and you are turning a sharp corner ( something caught in wheel well?)

Check the fluid, top it off if it's low. Any auto-parts store can sell you a little bottle of the fluid.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator

Blog Entries

Um... good question! I'll check into that tomorrow. I am pretty sure it's when I am stopped, because it happens when I'm back up and turning down my driveway (it's a tight fit) and not when I'm actually turning (that I can recall).

Also, it's not as bad as it was when I came back from vacation (when I hadn't driven my car for like a week), I dunno if that makes a difference!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

•   
      MiceChat Moderator

Blog Entries

Ok... It was fine today, then I missed the turn into my driveway and I did a big, tight turn and errrrrr it started big time. Squeaked every time after that

I keep meaning to check the fluid but I always forget when it's daylight.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

• Time Traveler

So check it already. As for the light, they may have just cleared the code to turn the light off, which obviously doesn't fix the problem.
    I hate robots...

One Annual Pass-$365 379
    Gas For Car- $60
    Meeting Billy Goat Bob- Priceless

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Noisy steering is more than likely just low power steering fluid. To save money you don't need special Power Steering Fluid, it's a simple hydraulic fluid. Automatic Transmission Fluid is the same stuff with some red dye added, for a reasonable price since they sell a lot more of it.

Look at the dipstick of the PS Pump to see what type you add, probably Dexron in a Cavalier. There are marks on both sides for "Full Cold" and "Full Hot" - yes, it does expand that much. Overfill when cold and it'll overflow when hot.

Check for leaks (park the car over a big sheet of cardboard), make sure that the drive belt is in decent shape (not petrified/cracked/glazed) and fairly tight, and call us back with an update.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Go to your local Advance/Discount Auto and buy a bottle of power steering fluid. It costs no more than a few bucks. You might want to to take your car back to the shop and have them check for leaks in the fluid holder too.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator

Blog Entries

Ok, thanks.

now, the the horn doesn't work. Well, sometimes it lets out a feeble honk but usually nothing happens Could they be related?

Also, the low trac thing might be related to the emergency brake. When I put the brake on, low trac comes on, dunno it it's supposed to.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

• Mexihick, y'all

Sounds like your battery is dying (in regards to the horn). Like everyone said, power steering fluid. Check your fuses. Disconnect your battery, wait, reconnect. Sometimes that over-rides those light issues.

• Minion

I'm far from a car expert but I did have an issue with lights coming on my car and did some checking.

From what I've been able to read you've got 3 types of warning lights on most cars. Green/Blue, Yellow/Amber and Red.

These more or less match up with traffic lights. Green/Blue is purely informational and you can proceed. Yellow/Amber is a warning that something might be wrong but its not an emergency. Red means stop at once and resolve the problem.

As to Yellow/Amber they do often get tripped by some transient problem, often with the emmisons control system, such as a rough start on a cold day.

So the disconnect the battery idea does work (though it also resets radio/etc devices). If the light doesnt come back then you are probably ok.

As to the steering noise, fliud check is a good idea but I also have owned a couple Fords (good cars overall) and was told by an old school Ford mechanic that some models just make noise when steering and it can come and go.

Again, I am no expert so don't take this as gospel, I surely don't want you to end up with a bigger problem, but that's my 4 cents on the issue (inflation).

Also, the connections to the battrey could be gunked up. There is a cleaner for the connections which you can buy. I've had battery problams that turned otu to be loose connections, among other things.

But of anything... BE CAREFUL!!

• Minion

Whatever you do, do it soon! You shouldn't drive a car when there's noticeable problem with the steering...

DEFINITELY not something you want to procrastinate on.

• Circle of Ancients

Usually when you have a warning light it's a problem with the emissions, as was mentioned.

We have a warning light on in our car all the time. The reason ... the little flap that opens when you put gas in the car is slightly bent. Not really anything that needs to be done about it, not a car threatening thing, just an annoyance.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Last summer (2005), I had to have the entire steering column on my old car replaced because it was leaking fluid all over. Was NOT happy but it had to be done. Ended up being the final straw though and I bought a new car about a month later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast