Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Denver residents announce belief that the 'Peace Sign' is actually a satanic symbol

Story at CNN.com

DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- A homeowners' association in southwestern Colorado has threatened to fine a resident $25 a day until she removes a Christmas wreath with a peace sign that some say is an anti-Iraq war protest or a symbol of Satan.
    Some residents who have complained have children serving in Iraq, said Bob Kearns, president of the Loma Linda Homeowners Association in Pagosa Springs.
    He said some residents believed the wreath was a symbol of Satan. Three or four residents complained, he said.
    "Somebody could put up signs that say drop bombs on Iraq. If you let one go up you have to let them all go up," he said in a telephone interview Sunday.
    Lisa Jensen said she wasn't thinking of the war when she hung the wreath. She said, "Peace is way bigger than not being at war. This is a spiritual thing."
    Jensen, a past association president, calculates the fines will cost her about $1,000, and doubts they will be able to make her pay. But she said she's not going to take it down until after Christmas.
    "Now that it has come to this I feel I can't get bullied," she said. "What if they don't like my Santa Claus?"
    The association in this 200-home subdivision 270 miles southwest of Denver has sent a letter to her saying that residents were offended by the sign and the board "will not allow signs, flags etc. that can be considered divisive."
    The subdivision's rules say no signs, billboards or advertising are permitted without the consent of the architectural control committee.
    Kearns ordered the committee to require Jensen to remove the wreath, but members refused after concluding that it was merely a seasonal symbol that didn't say anything.
    Kearns fired all five committee members.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Re: Denver residents announce belief that the 'Peace Sign' is actually a satanic symb

I hate HOAs and their little power-hungry leaders. YMMV.

•   
    • debating what to put here

Re: Denver residents announce belief that the 'Peace Sign' is actually a satanic symb

Wow, just wow. So peace is a concept that is bad now. Got it.

If I had a kid fighting over in Iraq, I think I would be praying for peace quite a bit.

People like this disturb me.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Here's a link with a photo:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061127/...nti_peace_sign

How in thee HELL is this an anti war statement? She even said it wasn't meant for that. Apparently the knobs that live there aren't aware of what the peace symbol looks like. And a symbol of Satan?? Of course had she actually put the Satanic symbol up they'd have thought it was a pretty star that was meant to represent the star of Bethlehem.

I hate ignorant people.

Anything I don't understand must be a symbol of Satan or I would understand it.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    Good one!!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Wonder what our good Colorado friend Nephythys thinks about this?

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

This is in my neck of the woods, and We've heard all about it for a week. Even though the by-line on CNN.Com says Denver it's actually in Pagosa Springs (at the base of Wolf Creek pass, near Durango... in the four corners)

here is the link from our local paper
    http://www.durangoherald.com/asp-bin...ws061126_2.htm

Last edited by sailerm; 11-27-2006 at 08:52 PM.

• "Always On The Move..."

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    One of the best statements..... EVER!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• Knight of Naughtyness

Let us not malign the HOA over the actions of one man. This Kearns guy seems like a first class idiot.

The association in this 200-home subdivision 270 miles southwest of Denver has sent a letter to her saying that residents were offended by the sign and the board "will not allow signs, flags etc. that can be considered divisive."
    The subdivision's rules say no signs, billboards or advertising are permitted without the consent of the architectural control committee.
    Kearns ordered the committee to require Jensen to remove the wreath, but members refused after concluding that it was merely a seasonal symbol that didn't say anything.
    Kearns fired all five committee members.
    That sounds like an abuse of power to me. Firing the committee members because they don't do what you want.

Anyway, don't fault the HOA. Remember, they are the organization that is going to keep your neighbors from painting their house fluorescent pink and green polka dots, storing their garbage and old appliances in their front yard, and using their lawn mower at 5:00 am. HOAs have rules, and they must enforce them. If they have a history of not enforcing their rules, then they have no legal authority to enforce them when something comes along to upset the HOA. In this case, the chair seems to be abusing his power. The HOA can very easily amend their rules when situations like this arise. However, in this case, they need to throw out their chair.
    -Osky

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
    .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

Makes sense to me. Peace, Christmas and Satanism go hand in hand. What's all your problems?
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by Osky View Post
    Anyway, don't fault the HOA. Remember, they are the organization that is going to keep your neighbors from painting their house fluorescent pink and green polka dots, storing their garbage and old appliances in their front yard, and using their lawn mower at 5:00 am.
    From what (admittedly little) I've seen, most of the rules made by HOAs are forbidding things that most people already aren't going to do.

I see very little benefit to the homeowner from an HOA.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I guess they don't stand for peace...

Because everyone knows that the peace sign in no way, shape or form, represents evil.

I guess this organization was just running low on money.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

I have heard this arguement over the past 20 years.....the arguement is that it is an upside-down cross and that it is broken.

I'm not sure about that. I haven't endeavored to study it that much really.......and I don't know that the "PEACE" sign is used in many Satanic rituals - while I don't participate in them myself, I can't imagine that something that is so forthright and known AS a peace sign would be used in such away. My assumption of course.

Witch-hunts get old, don't they?

• Huh?

From Wiki:

The symbol itself is a combination of the semaphoric signals for the letters "N" and "D," standing for Nuclear Disarmament. In semaphore the letter "N" is formed by a person holding two flags in an upside-down "V," and the letter "D" is formed by holding one flag pointed straight up and the other pointed straight down. These two signals imposed over each other form the shape of the peace symbol. In the original design the lines widened at the edge of the circle.
    As I said in the other thread on this subject, this was pretty much started by Mike Warnke in his book on symbols and rituals of the occult. He claimed that it was known as Nero's Cross before it became the peace symbol, the cross that Nero was executed on. Trouble with this is that Nero committed suicide. And, Mike Warnke was revealed as a huge fraud. But, still, he created a lot of damage before the hoax was revealed and people still refer to his books as complete truth on the occult. Even though he has no idea what he was talking about.

-Tim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast