This was in my local paper this morning.

Man killed in Oakland hit-and-run
Victim slammed by 4 vehicles, police say

Marisa Lagos, Chronicle Staff Writer
Friday, December 8, 2006 11 05 AM

(12-08) 11:05 PST -- An unidentified man was killed early today after he was struck by a hit-and-run driver and subsequently by three other vehicles that also failed to stop on the 98th Avenue on-ramp to Interstate 880 in Oakland, police said.

Initial information indicates that the 5 a.m. crash occurred as the victim was walking in the small space between the slow lane of I-880 and the on-ramp, before the lanes merge, said CHP Sgt. R. Ross.

Debris left at the scene suggests that the right side of a black sedan struck the man, throwing his body into the on-ramp lane, Ross said. Three other vehicles -- including a flatbed tow truck -- later ran over the body, according to a witness.

The man's body was "mangled," Ross said, making it difficult for the coroner's office to identify him immediately.

"He was standing or walking in that area -- he may have been walking in the roadway, and it may have been that whoever was driving saw him at the last minute and was unable to avoid him," Ross said. "I don't know what they saw, but I think they would have known they hit somebody. ... In my opinion, it doesn't matter, if you were to hit something with such force it knocks pieces off of your car, you would wonder what you hit."

Ross said a "good Samaritan" had noticed the man shortly before he was hit and turned around her car to come back and check on him. By the time she arrived, the pedestrian had already been struck and killed, Ross said, and as the woman waited for police, she watched as three more trucks ran over the body.

It is possible that the drivers of the subsequent vehicles did not know they had run over a person, Ross said, noting that it was dark out. Police are still trying to contact those drivers, as well as any other witnesses.

The trucks are described as a red and green Ford Ranger pickup truck; an older model white truck, possibly a Ford, with wooden gates in the bed of the vehicle; and a flatbed tow truck. They struck the body in that order, Ross said.

Police also are looking for the first driver who struck the victim, he said.
"We are asking that whoever was driving the black car, please call us. We have the belief at this point that it was an accident -- we have not determined fault," Ross said, noting that the person did break the law by fleeing but still is not necessarily at fault for the person's death. "We understand people being scared."

The accident shut down the on-ramp to northbound Interstate 880 for more than four hours following the crash.
The CHP can be contacted at (510) 450-3821 or (707) 551-4100. Callers should refer to the I-880 fatal accident, Ross said.