Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Rhode Island School bans talking after child chokes

Story at http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2823787

And no, it's not a scientology school.. it's Roman Catholic.

[quote]
    WARWICK, R.I. Jan 25, 2007 (AP) Class, from now on there will be no talking at lunch.
    A Roman Catholic elementary school adopted new lunchroom rules this week requiring students to remain silent while eating. The move comes after three recent choking incidents in the cafeteria.
    No one was hurt, but the principal of St. Rose of Lima School explained in a letter to parents that if the lunchroom is loud, staff members cannot hear a child choking.
    Christine Lamoureux, whose 12-year-old is a sixth-grader at the school, said she respects the safety issue but thinks the rule is a bad idea.
    "They are silent all day," she said. "They have to get some type of release." She suggested quiet conversation be allowed during lunch.
    Another mother, Thina Paone, does not mind the silent lunches, noting that the cafeteria "can be very crazy" at the suburban school south of Providence.
    Principal Jeannine Fuller did not immediately return a call seeking comment, but a spokesman for the Diocese of Providence described the silence rule as a temporary safety measure.
    Spokesman Michael Guilfoyle said the school does not expect complete silence but enough quiet to keep students safe.
    Lori Healey, a teacher at the school who also has a son in third grade, said "silent lunch" means students can whisper.
    "They know it's not for punishment," she said. "It's for safety, and they'll be the first ones to tell you."
    Stacey Wildenhain, a teacher's assistant at St. Rose, said her 7-year-old son does not mind the policy. He told her: "The sooner we eat, the sooner we can get out to play," she said.
    Amanda Karhuse, of the National Association of Secondary School Principals, said that students should not run wild during lunch, but that they also should not have to remain silent.
    "It seems kind of ridiculous in our opinion," she said. "Kids need that social time, and they just need time to be kids at that age."
    The principal's letter also spelled out other new lunch rules, including requiring students to stay in their seats and limiting them to one trip to the trash can. Any child who breaks the rules will serve detention the next day.
    Paone's 6-year-old son, Joey, said he accepts the changes, but some of his classmates were having trouble obeying the rules.
    Kara Casali, who also has a 6-year-old son at the school, said the rules against talking will be tough to enforce.
    "I can't imagine having a silent lunch," she said.

On the Net:
    St. Rose School: http://www.saintroseschool.com/ [quote]
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: Rhode Island School bans talking after child chokes

Why don't they just teach the other students how to do the Heimlich as well? Shouldn't they also know how to do hand signs that indicate they are choking?

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Oh wow...we've hit a new low in the human race.

Imagine if a poor kid gets detention for going to the trash can more than once a day. "Timmy, why did you get detention???" Timmy: "Sorry but I forgot to throw away my milk box when I threw away all my other trash". How friggin' ridiculous. All the parents who think these new rules are out of line should take their kids out of that school to prove a point on how quite that school can really be.

• That Guy

They should just pray harder before they eat, that will solve everything.

This is why I am no longer a practicing Catholic. They sometimes make really dumb decisions, based on not a damn thing.

Why not teach first aid to the kids? Hmm? Unreal. that or just serve a soft food diet

• white and nerdy

With my experience with how the administration in most elementary go, as well as my experience with Catholics, I'd have to blame this on the administration.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Man O Lantern

Our school's lunchtime is not much different and it comes from the principal. The kids aren't allowed to talk. Also, girls are not allowed to sit next to boys. The girls/boys thing is brought up every year by the fifth graders who want to sit next to one another, and every year they get shot down. The principal is a pain in the butt. But at least she's willing to spend every. single. day. in the school cafeteria with our kids, and it's not something I would do. I hate cafeteria duty!

Cafeterias can become extremely loud and a lot of kids get out-of-hand (even at our middle class school of down-to-earth and incredible kids), and they're hard to monitor with limited staff at that time (teachers need a lunchtime, too). Schools do what they can to cope with 100+ kids in one place at one time.

So, it's not a "new low in the human race" or anything to do with the Catholic Church.

It's an administration doing what they feel they need to do right now. Might not be forever. And it's not as uncommon as you think.

• Long live the Fire Lord

Wow, being a kid today is hard.
    "What single word is the name of a magazine, a cereal, a board game, and a never-ending series of soul-crushing disappointments which slowly leech away your hope and idealism until you are nothing more than a bitter husk of a man?"

• Feeling LOVED

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybirdman View Post
    Wow, being a kid today is hard.
    I second that. Why don't we just put a muzzle on them and tube feed each child. Geez
    HEARTS CLUB !!

• Banned User

remember when you could talk during lunch... and you had olde computers to play on...

those were the days..

• DCA lover

This is disgusting. My cousin's school (public) recently adopted similar rules. Not only were the kids not allowed to talk, but must also face forward at all times, and are given assigned seating at lunch, etc. I don't remember all the details, but there were extreme crackdowns in the classroom as well. I can't believe that this is becoming more common (?). These kids are going to be so screwed up.

• Queen of Sarcasm

I think that idea is stupid. I went to a catholic school and also had to deal with separate seating for boys and girls at lunch. The lunch area did get loud at times but if something were to happen such as a person choking we would have gotten an adults attention right away. The excuse of not knowing a child is choking is a thinly veiled one bordering on dictatorship.
    Last edited by PirateChick; 02-06-2007 at 07:52 PM. Reason: spelling

• Comin' at ya!

that's hilarious...not that he choked, but the rule.
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• WARNING!

The lunch period is a vitally important time that helps kids build their socialization skills. Taking this away is not helping their development.
    Very bad idea.

• Man O Lantern

I wonder how many of you have ever spent an hour in the cafeteria at lunchtime? It's a madhouse. Even in a nice school in a great neighborhood. Cafeterias are not set up to be conducive to conversation anyway. They're loud and echo-y.

Kids aren't as well-behaved as you might think. I see so many snotty little kids with permissive parents who are told by the principal, to keep their voices down and the kids will sneer, roll their eyes, and talk on. These aren't high schoolers, these are second graders.

We want kids to communicate, be good people and we talk to them like they're adults, and they're so allowed to be little grown ups that their manners and attitudes have gotten rotten.

I say walk a day in the shoes of school administrators before you judge. It's not that easy.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Our school's lunchtime is not much different and it comes from the principal. The kids aren't allowed to talk. Also, girls are not allowed to sit next to boys.
    What year do they think this is?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast