• Minion

Where did THIS Slang Word Originate?

ORDDU: Hello to all you MiceAge ducklings out there!! Today my sisters and I have a question about a certain slang word and it's origins.

ORWEN: But before we say anything more--we do want to make sure nobody is offended by what we're about to bring up.

ORGOCH: 'Cause if'n ya IS offended, I'll tell ya's all right here 'n now it weren't MY idea ta even bring it up in the FIRST place!! I'd rather be out ketchin' FROGS instead a wastin' time askin' dumb questions that don't matter what the answers is, ta begin with!!!

ORWEN: Then will you kindly leave and let the rest of us have some peace?

ORDDU: The question we'd like an answer to is--where did the term 'fag' originate? We've got some ideas, of course. But we'd like to know what the rest of you have heard.

ORWEN: In Austrailia a fag is something you smoke--like a cigarette.

ORDDU: In ancient days, I believe fags were piles of sticks that you used to burn--of all things--witches at the stake!! (But surely we don't want to go there, do we?)

ORWEN: We've also, of course, heard the word 'fag' used as an offensive means to insult certain individuals in modern times--and THAT is not something we would ever encourage, believe me.

ORDDU: Still, the actual word, itself, has several different meanings.

ORWEN: I suppose--if we had libraries in the Land of Prydain--we could just go to one and borrow a dictionary to look up the defintion. But, you know how it is when you come from a place, like Morva, and printing presses haven't been invented, yet...

• Are we there yet!?!?!?

Danny and Eric's little corner of paradise! =)
    Main Entry: 1fag
    Pronunciation: 'fag
    Function: verb
    Inflected Form(s): fagged; fag·ging
    Etymology: obsolete fag to droop, perhaps from fag (fag end)
    intransitive senses
    1 : to work hard : TOIL
    2 : to act as a fag especially in an English public school <fagging for older boys during his first year>
    transitive senses : to tire by strenuous activity : EXHAUST
    synonym see TIRE

Main Entry: 2fag
    Function: noun
    1 chiefly British : TOIL, DRUDGERY
    2 a : an English public-school boy who acts as servant to an older schoolmate b : DRUDGE

Main Entry: 3fag
    Etymology: fag end
    : CIGARETTE

Main Entry: 4fag
    Etymology: probably by shortening
    usually disparaging : ******
    - fag·gy /'fa-gE/ adjective, usually disparaging

I got a good laugh at the definitions if anyone cared to see them... hmm... If one is gay can they say they've been Fagged?!?!
    Remember... Dreams Really Do Come True!!!
    Daniel and Eric Neuhickman
    09/02/2004 - Present

Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream only at night.
    -- Edgar Allan Poe

• Minion

ORDDU: My! Such a prompt response, neuhickman 80, duckling! I thank you and my sisters thank you. (By the way, dearest, it's very obvious that you and your partner are in love and meant for each other. We wish you the best!)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva
    ORDDU: Hello to all you MiceAge ducklings out there!! Today my sisters and I have a question about a certain slang word and it's origins.

ORWEN: But before we say anything more--we do want to make sure nobody is offended by what we're about to bring up.

ORGOCH: 'Cause if'n ya IS offended, I'll tell ya's all right here 'n now it weren't MY idea ta even bring it up in the FIRST place!! I'd rather be out ketchin' FROGS instead a wastin' time askin' dumb questions that don't matter what the answers is, ta begin with!!!

ORWEN: Then will you kindly leave and let the rest of us have some peace?

ORDDU: The question we'd like an answer to is--where did the term 'fag' originate? We've got some ideas, of course. But we'd like to know what the rest of you have heard.

ORWEN: In Austrailia a fag is something you smoke--like a cigarette.

ORDDU: In ancient days, I believe fags were piles of sticks that you used to burn--of all things--witches at the stake!! (But surely we don't want to go there, do we?)

ORWEN: We've also, of course, heard the word 'fag' used as an offensive means to insult certain individuals in modern times--and THAT is not something we would ever encourage, believe me.

ORDDU: Still, the actual word, itself, has several different meanings.

ORWEN: I suppose--if we had libraries in the Land of Prydain--we could just go to one and borrow a dictionary to look up the defintion. But, you know how it is when you come from a place, like Morva, and printing presses haven't been invented, yet...

I never liked that word. I consider them "Switch Hitters".....hopefully nobody takes offense
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

• Vehicle rotating backward

Dears, Wikipedia has the answers:

The word fag was originally used in British public schools. Some of the senior boys became prefects, which means that they had authority over the other boys and had their own servants, called fags, who were appointed from amongst the youngest boys.
    On the other hand, fag + got (Wikipedia link, just had to use some censor circumvention) has a far more clouded history than fag.

• Smells like beer

E-40 coined the phase's "Off the hook" and "Off the Heezy" also "pop your collars"
    I find it hard
    It's hard to find
    Oh well, whatever, nevermind