•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

As my lazy heart slowly beats

For reasons that I will not bore you all with, I had to have a full cardio workup, chest x-rays and blood panel done. As I'm doing the pre-treadmill "at rest" measurements, the nurse looks up and literally gasps. After she double checks the connectors on about a dozen electrodes all over my chest, she remarks, "that's the lowest resting pulse I've ever seen." She's not exactly fresh out of school, either. My pulse dipped into the 20s at times (under 60 is considered abnormally low). That's darn near three seconds between beats. The good news is, when it comes to total number of beats done, I have the heart of a 25 year old. The bad news is ... when I get older, I'll probably need a pacemaker. Immediately, the other bad news is that my hairy chest has about 6 odd looking bald spots. Thank God it's Ireland, and not Cancun, for Spring Break.
    Fight On! Beat the Huskers!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• For You!

Re: As my lazy heart slowly beats

I have a slow resting heart rate also - but not that slow!!!! Wow, do you have to keep pinching yourself to make sure you're alive??!!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    For reasons that I will not bore you all with, I had to have a full cardio workup, chest x-rays and blood panel done. As I'm doing the pre-treadmill "at rest" measurements, the nurse looks up and literally gasps. After she double checks the connectors on about a dozen electrodes all over my chest, she remarks, "that's the lowest resting pulse I've ever seen." She's not exactly fresh out of school, either. My pulse dipped into the 20s at times (under 60 is considered abnormally low). That's darn near three seconds between beats. The good news is, when it comes to total number of beats done, I have the heart of a 25 year old. The bad news is ... when I get older, I'll probably need a pacemaker. Immediately, the other bad news is that my hairy chest has about 6 odd looking bald spots. Thank God it's Ireland, and not Cancun, for Spring Break.
    Maybe you should stop hibernating in public.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Immediately, the other bad news is that my hairy chest has about 6 odd looking bald spots
    "excuse me, sir? That's THE oddest looking male pattern baldness I have EVER seen......may I suggest Rogaine??"

Sorry, I had to say that....every time they put one of those heart monitors on me....the kind you have to wear for one or two days....I am thankful I don't have chest hair. OW!!! It's bad enough that I have a slight allergy to that glue on the pad things..I walk around with re spots for weeks. Looks like I have giant chicken pox.

• Hola!

Wow that is low!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

My resting heart rate is often under 50, but it's fairly common for cyclists.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 7846 miles, 451,000 feet