Thread: Legal Question

• Minion

Legal Question

I can't seem to find it on the net, but maybe someone in Micechat can help me. Friday I was fired over the phone at my job. I turned in my uniform yesterday (saturday.) When must my employeer give me my last pay check?
    Jeff Wayne

• no flash photography...

Re: Legal Question

in california it should be given to you when you are fired. I have been fired once and the check was ready right then.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    in california it should be given to you when you are fired. I have been fired once and the check was ready right then.
    This is correct. Your check must available to you at that time. Also, sorry to hear about the firing.

I was fired from a job once - and I had worked there for 2 years. It was they day of my high school graduation......and they fired me. They said I didn't have the same ideals as the company - the fella that told them to fire me was fired 4 months later. VINDICATION!

Just wanted to share my story with you in hopes that you won't let it bother you.

I was fired from a job I hated. I should have left before then. I was so happy when I got fired, but scared as well, because I did not have a job, but I got enemployment and found another job pretty fast.

I got unemployment because they did not have grounds to fire me....except california is an at will state and they could, but they had to pay.

• Minion

I hated this job so very happy, but she dosent have my check.
    Jeff Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHostJeff View Post
    I hated this job so very happy, but she dosent have my check.
    contact the labor board.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I was under the understanding that they are required to have your check within 3 business days of your termination.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Former Loiterer

CA law states that an employer must have a final paycheck available at the employee's customary place of work within 3 days in the event of an employee's resignation or 24 hours in the event of a termination. If your former employer does not have a check for you within that time period, or has mailed the check to you without your express consent, you are entitled to waiting penalties for each day you are forced to wait. You should contact the labor board. To find your closest office, check out www.labor.ca.gov.
    Good luck to you!
    All I needed to know in life, I learned at MiceChat.
    And kindergarten.

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

Quote Originally Posted by hebessica View Post
    CA law states that an employer must have a final paycheck available at the employee's customary place of work within 3 days in the event of an employee's resignation or 24 hours in the event of a termination. If your former employer does not have a check for you within that time period, or has mailed the check to you without your express consent, you are entitled to waiting penalties for each day you are forced to wait. You should contact the labor board. To find your closest office, check out www.labor.ca.gov.
    Good luck to you!
    This is correct. I've had to have paychecks fedex overnight to me when I would have to terminate.

Some cases i've heard the person getting fired sueing for more than the waiting penalties due to a means of financial instability and inabilty to provide or sopmething like that...

Let us know what happens!!!
    Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."

• Minion

Well I recieved the check on Tuesday and for fired Friday. So I didn't wait too long, but still makes me wonder haha.
    Jeff Wayne

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

still mess up and not legal...i say demand the money
    Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."

• Minion

Personaly I would have held on to the uniform untill I receive the paycheck. That way you have some collateral in case they try to screw you over. It happened to me once, a long time ago when I worked private security. The company gave me this very expensive uniform and badge, real police stuff. It was worth quite a bit of money because when I was fired they wanted me to bring the uniform to the office. I brought it over to the office the following day and I was expecting my final paycheck but they were telling me some story about how they would mail it by next week and yadda yadda yadda. Well, I told them I would return the uniform once I received the check , which took them by suprise because they were trying to get me to leave the uniform but I wouldn't. 48 hour later the manager PERSONALY delivered the check to my house where we swapped. He gave me the final check and he got his uniforms.