Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• missing the DisneyGallery

Question about running

So I'm getting into running right now as I want to run a marathon next Spring, and I was talking to the guy who is guiding me in my training.

I told him that I run listening to my iPod while I run. He says its a sign of weakness, and that you arent a real runner if you listen to music.

What do you think?

When attractions were original

•   
    • Kerplookee

Re: Question about running

Quote Originally Posted by SciFi96 View Post
    He says its a sign of weakness,

So is listening to that numbnuts. I run quite a bit and always listen to my I-pod. Running is not the most exciting thing to do and I dont run for the fun of it.
    Sounds like your friend is trying to put you down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpee View Post
    I only care for Disney bling!

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

How in the world would listening to music while you run be showing a sign of weakness? If thats what you want to do, do it. Dont listen to him. Listen to your ipod
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• That Guy

"The Guy' is a total dip *****

Doing a quick Google search with 'Running while listening to music' got me 11,400,000 results. There are entire websites dedicated to the subject. You should likely ditch that guy, if he is your running Guru. There is a great podcast FREE on iTUNES called Podrunner that has music just for runners, that is 180 beats per minute, which is in time with running. It is sweet, check it out.

Also, make sure you get your gait checked out. You should go to a real runners shoe store and have them watch you jog, they can get you fitted with the correct shoes. Good luck!
    Last edited by Alchimedes; 07-11-2007 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Skirting censor

Well, I think he is specifically thinking about marathon running. He says your mind plays so many tricks with you while running a marathon and that the headphones takes some of that away. I guess he's that its mentally tougher to run without music than with.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

You're already exhausting yourself by running, why make it that much harder? If listening to music makes it easier for you, go for it.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Senior Minion

There's also that Nike device you put in your shoe and it tracks your steps ... along with a whole lot of other things ... through your iPod. So ... I'd say that this guy should just be ignored.

•   
    • Kerplookee

I just found out today that I'm not a 'real' runner. this bites.
    Can I get your friends phone # for other training tips?

Does your trainer think that only real men have mustaches?

That is seriously one awesome mustache.

• That Guy

Well, I think he is specifically thinking about marathon running. He says your mind plays so many tricks with you while running a marathon and that the headphones takes some of that away. I guess he's that its mentally tougher to run without music than with.

I hear what you're saying, but keep in mind, professional athletes listen to music while competing in just about every sport. Tour de France guys rock out all the time, Olympic athletes listen to their iPODs while competing.

I am guessing your Guru is a short little guy with a HUUUUUGE lifted truck, right? Does he wear Oakley thermonucular huge polarized sunglasses? Tank tops? Come on! You can tell us!

• Neep meep beep

I ran the Orange County Marathon last year (ouch) and the Los Angeles Marathon in 2000, and I've heard that advice before. It's true that the top competitive athletes in the sport don't run to music, but I think that for the 99% rest of us, it helps keep a good pace and even motivates you. For long stretches during the marathon, it was music that kept me going.

I think the theory for top runners is that the body tends to synchronize your gait to the rhythm of music, limiting your speed in some cases. But for the rest of us, it works wonderfully - music and exercise go hand in hand together, whether you're in the gym or outdoors.

•   
    • Kerplookee

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    I hear what you're saying, but keep in mind, professional athletes listen to music while competing in just about every sport. Tour de France guys rock out all the time, Olympic athletes listen to their iPODs while competing.

I am guessing your Guru is a short little guy with a HUUUUUGE lifted truck, right? Does he wear Oakley thermonucular huge polarized sunglasses? Tank tops? Come on! You can tell us!

Is this trainer your boss and you can't say 'no' to him?

I'm stepping up my running now for the Disneyland Half over Labor Day. Did a 7 mile run yesterday and would have stopper short if Kelly Clarkson wasn't telling me to "Breakaway"

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

I disagree.
    Some runs won't let you listen to music, though, I'd check on that.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post

Holy Crap, he is short and drives a truck (but no lift), and makes fun of my Honda all the time. Also, someone asked if he was my boss. Yes, but only for the summer. During the rest of the year he is a colleague.

What freaked me out was that he says this to me in the hallway and another guy who is also a runner was walking by and agreed with him. After that I was thinking that I might have ot dump my iPod and run to the sound of me sucking wind.

• horsin' around!

can't run..but i power walk maaaaany miles a week. can't stand it when i go w/ out my ipod. the music energizes and inspires me...you can even find play lists made specifically for different type of work outs.i'll tell you this...i enjoy walking w/ what i'm listening to in my ipod much better than the voices i have to listen to in my head without it! haha!

• That Guy

Holy Crap, he is short and drives a truck (but no lift), and makes fun of my Honda all the time. Also, someone asked if he was my boss. Yes, but only for the summer. During the rest of the year he is a colleague.

What freaked me out was that he says this to me in the hallway and another guy who is also a runner was walking by and agreed with him. After that I was thinking that I might have ot dump my iPod and run to the sound of me sucking wind.

He sounds like a complete tool! I bet YOU'RE the one laughing when it comes time to get gas. I would rather pay to fill a honda, then a truck.

Really though, it sounds like this guy is still in high school. Who the F cares what kind of care you drive, or how you run?

The real question is, what makes you happy? Do what you like!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast