Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Tour de France Leader Pulled

Michael Rassmussen, a Danish bike rider for Radobank and the overall leader of the 2007 Tour de France, was pulled from the race after winning the 16th Stage of the event today (7/25) after he was accused of blood doping and missing a team meeting. One day earlier, an entire team of Boratian (Kazi) riders was pulled after it was discovered that their lead rider was accused of the same thing.

Do you think that somewhere in the good ol' US of A that Messers. Lance Armstrong and Floyd Landis are having a beer somewhere and LTMFAO's off about this. Personally, isn't it ironic that the French accuse us of perforamnce enhancement, yet now the shoe on the other foot has fallen?

• Run Fast, Turn Left

Re: Tour de France Leader Pulled

Unfortunatley cheating by the use of performance enhancers is indemic in sport today. With so much money involved it is regretable that an athlete has the tempation to use drugs to further his/her career. No longer is it a sport but now is entertainment. As far as the tour goes doping has been a part of its history. Not just in recent but I am sure in most of its history. Now it is not the athlete but the organization with the best doctor that win such contests.
    Kids, the seven basic food groups are GUM, PUFF PASTRY, PIZZA, PESTICIDES, ANTIBIOTICS, NUTRA-SWEET and MILK DUDS!!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mouseinphilly View Post
    Michael Rassmussen, a Danish bike rider for Radobank and the overall leader of the 2007 Tour de France, was pulled from the race after winning the 16th Stage of the event today (7/25) after he was accused of blood doping and missing a team meeting. One day earlier, an entire team of Boratian (Kazi) riders was pulled after it was discovered that their lead rider was accused of the same thing.

Do you think that somewhere in the good ol' US of A that Messers. Lance Armstrong and Floyd Landis are having a beer somewhere and LTMFAO's off about this. Personally, isn't it ironic that the French accuse us of perforamnce enhancement, yet now the shoe on the other foot has fallen?
    Rasmussen also did not report to his team about his training whereabouts. Also did not report to doping controls. The real story is here.

Get all the facts at cyclingnews.com, this is the best site for information about this situation. Rasmussen has not tested positive, but he does leave a lot to be questioned. The Rabobank Dutch cycling team did the right thing in removing him,
    and the team so far has not been asked to leave the Tour De France by the organizers.

Please read this for the actual facts. There is whole lot more to this then meets the eye and what is written.
    Read this article from his Team Director Theo De Rooy, here
    This gives a best explanation so far.
    The sport of Road cycling is in serious trouble with all this garbage going on. Any questions PM me.
    Three riders negative for performance enhancing drugs in three days is awful, not too mention leading the race by default because someone else cheated. Not a good way to win really. Alberto Contador is now the leader with American Levi Leiphiemer from (Santa Rosa, Ca) in the top three.
    I really hope the Tour organizers accomplish what they set out to do, which is too clean up the sport.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Banned User

That second paragraph IIRC was meant as sarcasm because it was the tour organizers pointing the fingers at US and being accused of this stuff, yet others are now being caught crimson-fisted.

• Senior Minion

Here's an interesting twist about American cycling. This book
    From Lance to Landis Inside the American Doping Controversy at the Tour De France
    David Walsh.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I read about this earlier today, too. Now, I don't follow the cycling world all that closely but there has always been one constant idea that my dad and I believe. For the last several years that we've watched cycling, whether it's the Tour de France or the Tour de California, it appears that every one of the professional bikers are doping. The ones who win are the best at doping and get away with it.

• Senior Minion

There is rumor of (rumor only) that there is an elite group of cyclists that are secretly working together to stay at the top in Europe.
    There is one theory about Lance that the cancer he had was from previous drug enhancement. It stems from the Lyle Alzado (football player) who lost his life to cancer from possibly steroid use. Just a theory floating around the "Net". Not fact.

• Run Fast, Turn Left

The type of Cancer that Armstrong had does not seem to be an indicator of performance enhancers. It is fashionable today to have your drugs engineered to your genetics ala BalCO. Many of these riders will cycle there drugs to be less detectable during testing. At this time Italy seems to be the place for finding a Doctor (ie. Ferrari) to develop a regimen of performance enhancers. He (Ferrari) was implicated in the Operation Puerto last year. He also was used by Armstrong as a consultant while he raced. They (WADA) could catch more doping if they used more precise (= expensive) tests but choose not to. Many people think that the anti-doping orginizations turn a blind eye to most tests at the behest of the athletic unions.
    Kids, the seven basic food groups are GUM, PUFF PASTRY, PIZZA, PESTICIDES, ANTIBIOTICS, NUTRA-SWEET and MILK DUDS!!

• Run Fast, Turn Left

When every sport decides to do something about perfomance enhancing drugs then perhaps some sembelence of control of their use can materilaize. We as consumers of entertainment (sport) are also responsible to demand that athletic ideals should be promoted and followed. Doping exist in every sport from golf to endurance events like cycling. Fool me once...........

• Haunted Mansion Lover

I coach with a guy who has worked with several elite athletes who play football, baseball and run track and field. It is his guess that about 80% of ALL professional athletes enhance their performance using drugs. It's a sad thing but they have to perform when millions of dollars are riding on their shoulders!

I personally think it's higher than that but that's just MHO
    Foolish Mortal

I think it's sad. I feel bad for the team-mates of the guys who get pulled; they have to withdraw but have (ostensibly) done nothing wrong. Astana was doing pretty well and Kloden still had a chance to finish high up, but now that's done.

The officials don't really seem to have much interest in the truth; the president of one of the groups (I forget which one) says flat out that all the athletes are guilty. He won't believe any test results that show an athlete is not doping. Vinokourov supposedly had a blood transfusion; still cheating but it's not steroids. He claims he's innocent but it'll be hard to prove. And according to Floyd Landis, the UCI is not interested in anyone proving their innocence.

Vinokourov's out. Rasmussen's out (because he lied- idiot). I'll have to go look what else happened.

::sigh::
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Banned User

You oknow, alphabassetgrrl, I used to give a dang about Tour de France with the American riders. Now, with all these stories of blood doping and UCI once accusing Americans of doping, now the shoe's on the other foot as it were.

That's right, the third rider was French. My big problem is that the lab has so little credibility that I can't trust their results. Maybe they're cleaning up their act, but it's hard to know that.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

It was also said that Rassmussen did not declare where he was in June and should have not started the tour at all. Just another example of people turning the other cheek.

Many European stations have now stopped airing the tour. Its so sad that its come down to this.

• Banned User

And a French newspaper today declared that Le Tour is deceased!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast