Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

'Worthless' gifts get the good girls- New Scientist.com

Here's a little hint for all you fella's out there trying to get the girl:

Men who spend big money wining and dining their dates are not frittering away hard-earned cash. According to a pair of UK researchers, they are merely employing the best strategy for getting the girl without being taken for granted.

Using mathematical modelling, Peter Sozou and Robert Seymour at University College London, UK, found that wooing girls with costly, but essentially worthless gifts – such as theatre tickets or expensive dinners out – is a winning courtship strategy for both sexes.

Females can assess how serious or committed a male plans to be and males can ensure they are not just seducing 'gold-diggers' – girls who take valuable presents with no intention of accepting subsequent dates.

Sozou came about the idea after reading about a man in his local newspaper. The man had been paying the rent of a woman he considered was his girlfriend – he was giving her a valuable gift. But she had been heartlessly manipulating him, dating another man on the sly while accepting money from her unwitting sugar daddy.

"It spurred me onto thinking that if he had just been buying her expensive dinners, and not paying her rent, she wouldn’t have strung him along so much," says Sozou.

dating decisions. In the model males had to decide what kind of gift to offer females – valuable, extravagant or cheap – based on how attractive he finds her. The females had to either accept or decline the gift and then decide whether to mate with the gift-giver – a decision also weighted on the 'attractiveness' of their prospective partner.

When they measured the different outcomes of all the steps, they found the best solution for the males was to give extravagant, but intrinsically value-free gifts the vast majority of the time, while giving gifts of material value very occasionally.

The model showed that if males gave valuable gifts too often, the females would start to exploit them: the males have no clue as to the females’ real intentions in the model. Put simply, the females just take the diamonds and run. But when the gifts are worthless, an uninterested female has little incentive to accept, gaining no return on what could be just turn into the simple waste of an evening. Only girls who are serious would bother to go the distance.

Here's the full text if you want to know more:
    http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7737

The secrets of the universe have now been revealed to you. Use them wisely.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: 'Worthless' gifts get the good girls- New Scientist.com

Would someone please show my boyfriend this article? Heheh... he does the exact opposite, refuses to buy flowers, wants to spend his money on things with "real value" like dvds. I'd like flowers!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Flowers are awesome. So are nice dinners out from time to time. I agree with this article to some degree, but not 100% While women do enjoy gifts, I've found the best things in life often come free...A little time and attention from your honey goes a long way, regardless of what you do or where you go. A kind word or a hug at the right time can do wonders in securing a woman's affections, just as much as candlelit dinners, candy, or flowers.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Minion

Nothing new there, I could have told you that!

I think the giving of "worthless" gifts is part of that consideration. Giving a woman something just because it will please her, without regard to its actual functionality, shows a level of concern for her happiness that is quite attractive. Don't have to be expensive, just thoughtful. Like a $6 bouquet from Trader Joe's, or even a $3 rose. Hell, a rose cut from somebody's front garden.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Puppy Cuddles

You know, I kinda went off on my boy on our first Valentine's Day because he sent me this beautiful bouquet of long stemmed roses. We were apart and he thought it would be nice. THey were pretty, but they cost a ridiculous ammount of money. I thanked him, but told him not to bother spending that much money on flowers in the future. It's really cute, though, becuase now he buys me the cheapy bouquets of carnations which I love and can live with.

SO I guess the point of that story was to illustrate that the gifts don't necessarily need to be elaborate, just something out of the blue to prove that you remember us even if we're not standing right next to you.
    The King is back and he's ready to kick some tail. Do not mess with a mouse in black.

• Minion

If you want to help guys out, there needs to be some kind of info on how to even GET to the first date. Once you clear that hurdle, everything else seems like a breeze!

•   
    • Minion

There is nothing like a pot of planted dasies to brighten a womans mood... That and a huge cardboard cut of a cow...

Mooo! Moooo! Moo, I say! Moooo!
    Check out my other blog:

I would avoid cow imagery at all costs, unless you specifically know she collects them. Otherwise she'll think you're sending her a subtle message that she's fat. And that, my friend, will not go over well.

Tulips are wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    If you want to help guys out, there needs to be some kind of info on how to even GET to the first date. Once you clear that hurdle, everything else seems like a breeze!
    Oh please, like you need it, you've got a gorgeous girlfriend already!

But okay, here's the secret: find the girls that look like they're trying to disappear. They're the ones who haven't been asked out in a long time and are embarrassed because they think they're unattractive. Make eye contact and smile but don't come over right away. Make sure she "catches" you checking her out a few times, then try to "accidentally" meet, such as, if you see her in a particular spot, have some business to attend to right near her so you have a chance to encounter her.

Make her feel special. Not in a creepy pervy way though. Get to know her a while before asking for her phone number. If you lack enough time for that, then try to get her to join you for coffee or something to extend the time you spend together before you get to the all-important phone number.

Call her the next day. Sound all cute and nervous. Women don't like to feel like they're being called only because no hotter chick could be found.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    I would avoid cow imagery at all costs, unless you specifically know she collects them. Otherwise she'll think you're sending her a subtle message that she's fat. And that, my friend, will not go over well.

• I was deleted.

Wow.. very interesting. Thanks for sharing this DQ. I love those sort of things from time to time but I don't think they are neccesary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Small Panda After All
    You know, I kinda went off on my boy on our first Valentine's Day because he sent me this beautiful bouquet of long stemmed roses. We were apart and he thought it would be nice. THey were pretty, but they cost a ridiculous ammount of money. I thanked him, but told him not to bother spending that much money on flowers in the future. It's really cute, though, becuase now he buys me the cheapy bouquets of carnations which I love and can live with.

SO I guess the point of that story was to illustrate that the gifts don't necessarily need to be elaborate, just something out of the blue to prove that you remember us even if we're not standing right next to you.
    Ah.. I went through the same thing with my boyfriend! I think distance makes them to silly things. But he finally got the hand of it. Last V-day he was in line at the Godiva chocolate place thinking why in the world was he going to spend $40 on 20 chocolates when I would love something cheaper more. So I got two boxes of Twix cookie bar things instead. Sooo yummy!

I'm guess I'm just a cheap chocolate whore.

• CM for 4 years!

Seems like common sense to me. If you spent money on fancy dinners out, then that means you're spending money, but you're WITH the lady in question.

Anyone want to use this principle and take me out to the Melting Pot? Please?
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan
    I'm guess I'm just a cheap chocolate whore.
    BPF, why do you insist on making it so easy for me to pick on you?

I'm not touching that one.

• Minion

But sometimes a bouquet of roses costs more than three or so DVD's!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast