Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gym Advice

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Gym Advice

So, I am now deciding that I want to excercise and get in shape. My first step would be choosing the perfect gym to work out in.

Anyone got any advice, suggestions, comments on how to choose the right gym and for me to start planning out to excercise?? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Re: Gym Advice

Most big name gyms offer one week free passes, check around your area and see what is available. This is a great time of year to sign up for one.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Cardiovascular exercise, like walking on the treadmill, is super important if you want to lose weight. When finding a gym, ask about peak hours and waiting times for those machines. The last thing you want to do is hang around a gym waiting 20 minutes for a treadmill to open up. Obviously, you want a facility that looks clean and modern, has large locker areas and showers. Also, ask about personal training services they offer and what their policy is. You might not desire a personal trainer right now, but that could change, and some gyms have strict policies about that. You might have to use one of their trainers or pay large fees for a trainer of your choice. So it's good to know that going in.

• Senior Minion

Do you have any particular goals in regards to what you want to accomplish. Do you just want to get in shape, or get into body building mode? How much time each week are you willing to put into going to a gym? Depending on what you want to accomplish will determine what kind of regimen you will need to take up.

Personally I myself am getting into shape and am a member of Gold's Gym. Although I picked that gym since it is right across the street from where I work so it makes it easy to go in after work and work out. Currently I am doing supersets with light weights (3lb, 5lb, and 8lb). I find this type of work out fun since I am always doing something (lifting the weights and changing them), and don't stop except for 15 seconds before the next superset.

I wouldn't say I'm on a diet, but I am watching what I eat more and exercising every day. My regular work-out is alternating between upper and lower body workouts along with 30 minutes of cardio. I've been doing this since December and I've lost 20 lbs. and 3" from my waist!

In closing, READ ANYTHING YOU SIGN!!!! If you decide on a gym make sure you read everything carefully!!! Some people are turned off, or surprised, when they try to cancel their contract after the grace period and can't. So, make sure you are committed in the decision you make or you might have to pay for something you aren't going to use in the end.

• Goofy

Dan, whatever you do watch out and be careful with ballys and their contracts because they will trick you. Well I basically screwed my self because I didn't read the contract carefully. I don't want this to happen to you.

I signed up to la fitness and I have a no contract thanks to my dad he's really good at communicating on complication situations.

Good luck to you dan.

• Banned User

Blog Entries

My goal right now is to lose weight, build some muscle, and get a six pack.

I just would like how to get started and the right questions to ask.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Make sure the gym you choose is also within 15 minutes of your home or, if you are going after work, with 15 minutes of there. Studies have shown that the farther away--the less chance you'll use it.

Bally's will mess with your bank accounts. Don't trust them, as suggested. I had the same problems.

Get those free visits and try stuff out before signing or joining anything.

Go slow at first--too many burn out in the first three weeks by hitting everything full bore. I speak from experience. Every January we get a good gazillion fellows into kickboxing. By February, they're gone. Don't be one of them.

Keep a steady schedule and make it the priority. Tell people, "no, I'm over at the gym--can we meet at a different time?" This is why I go to the gym alone. Most of my workout buddies are always like, sorry, got to go do this; got to go do that. And their workouts suffer. I'm more then willing to say, "sorry, can't stay, off to the gym."

Getting a six pack is more diet then exercise, just so you know.

READ! Research and understand what you are trying to do. Learn about the machines before getting on them; do not be afraid to ask the trainers if you are doing something correctly. They tend to be overly beautiful, being trainers (I workout where some Olympians train), so DON'T be intimidated. Same with the people there.

And most of all? Make it fun! Bring a book for the treadmill, listen to music, plan the day ahead.

I actually love going to the gym. It's 'my time.'

Peace out!
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Banned User

Start eating right, avoid to many meats,eat lots of veggies in different ways, brown rice and stir frys are awsome, and you will loose fast. beans, taco's using fat free beans and all the goodies to go with them. lotsa of good ways to cut out half the calories. excercize at home to start out, nothing worse then spending money for the gym and you not get there, sit ups, push ups, some arobics to start out with and you will do great.

• Banned User

oh and always write down what you eat. !! then you can see what went in, and where your calories came from.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
    So, I am now deciding that I want to excercise and get in shape. My first step would be choosing the perfect gym to work out in.

Anyone got any advice, suggestions, comments on how to choose the right gym and for me to start planning out to excercise?? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!
    I'd advise 24 Hour Fitness.........and I think with each new membership, you get a personal trainer session or two.....and they can assist you in meeting your goals.

I choose 24 because they are open 24 HOurs......so if you want to go at 11pm, they'll be open........and if you want to go at 430am, they'll be open. Many times, when I belonged to LA Fitness and Bally's, opening hours were at 5:30 am and I'd be sitting there, along with many others, awaiting the arrival of the person that 'overslept' - and it would totally screw things up for me.

I say 24 Hour Fitness - I've been a member for 9 years - wouldn't change.

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

We have an LA Fitness near our house. It is a great gym! My husband goes super early in the morning and he has never had a problem with someone not being there to open the gym at 5 am. It is the closest gym to our house.

Our trainer tells us to only do 2 days maximum of circuit training per week. The general rule is 3-4 days of Cardio for at least 30 minutes. The trainer suggests doing all the Cardin on one machine to help build stamina.

Good luck with starting your new workout regimine!
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• For You!

I have to agree with everybody else on the contracts. Read them - and save copies of anything you get. Also, Ask about rate changes, etc. Anything you particularly want that they verbally agree to - get it in writing!

I'm having contract issues right now. As well as several other people I know - luckily, I have saved every piece of documentation.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Thanks for the advice everyone. My next question is how many times a week whould I go to start off and casually work my up to?

• 11/7/08 Fantasmic Returns

Dan,

I won't give you advice, but here is my story. Last year around April/May I decided that I wanted to loose some weight. So I renewed my Bally's membership. Next I had to decide what I wanted to do. I have always loved to swim, so thats what I chose.

When I started out, I was a size 37/38 waist, and weighed 235. My routine was as follows:

M-F I would swim from 5:30-6:15am then go to work. After work, I would go back to the gym and swim from 5:00-5:45pm. That gave me an hour and a half in the pool everyday durring the week. On the weekends I would go in the morning only. I would say over the course of 4 months, I missed going to the gym maybe 10-15 times.

By the time August came around about 3-4 months later, I was down to 200 pounds, and at 34 waist. At that time I switched to 24hr fitness, and continued to swim. As of today, I swim once a day in the morning, and take the weekends off.

Just this past week, I bought my first pair of size 32 jeans, and I am down to around 190. While thats only 10 pounds in the last few months, I have also put on some muscle from swimming in my upper chest, neck, and back.

Of course there is a diet you have to stick too. I havent been to McDonalds, Taco Bell etc since I began back in April. I havent had a regular coke since then either. I did the Low Carb diet the entire time. This is definately not a long term diet, but it works for a short term thing. I was taking in less than 25 grams of carbs a day durring this process.

The past few months, I have started to eat normal, but not like I used too. Before my lunch would be a big mac combo and two apple pies. Now I go to the deli and get a 1/2 pound of salad, and I get full eating it. After a few weeks of dieting, your stomach will shrink, and you will get full easier. The key thing is to listen to your stomach, when you feel full, stop eating, and be done.

The first three weeks are the hardest. Tell yourself to do it for three weeks without cheating. At the end of the three weeks, if you were good, see if you like what the results are so far.

The main thing is to just stick to it. Dont find excuses to go to the gym. On the weekends when I go to Disneyland, I actually stop by the 24hr on Lemon and the 91 to swim before I go. That way its an incentive for me to go.

If you stick with it, and decide you really want to do it, you will get there. Believe me, there is no better feeling than walking into a room, and having people ask you how much weight you have lost. I actually had a customer at work who didnt recognize me at first because I looked so different. Good luck!
    ....You think your so powerful? Well this is my dream....

•   

Wear sandals in the shower.....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast