Any Teacher's out there?? Elementary

I have a question for those educators. I've been teaching for X amount of years. I received my Clear Credential 2 months prior to the NCLB new guidelines that require myself to pass the CSET test. I've passed sections I and III, but am stuck on subset II. (math/science) My question is can I get fired for not passing it? What's frustrating is I have my Degree/Masters/and Clear Credential and now I have to finish with another test.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Re: Any Teacher's out there?? Elementary

I'm assuming you are in California??

I think being fired depends on the district you work in. They may allow an extension. I'd check with them. Eventually they will require all the hoops to be jumped through. Disgusting isn't it? You have a Clear Cred., and a masters, but that isn't good enough.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Wow, I have no idea! I'm not sure if you even need to have it, if you cleared your credential before it was made mandatory. You'd have to call your HR or credential analyst for your district to find out, but then you run the risk of ratting yourself out. Can you get in touch with the university where you got your credential? They should be on top of the latest info. I just know I had to take it before I could get into my credential program.
    A signature should go here.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    I'm assuming you are in California??

I think being fired depends on the district you work in. They may allow an extension. I'd check with them. Eventually they will require all the hoops to be jumped through. Disgusting isn't it? You have a Clear Cred., and a masters, but that isn't good enough.
    Yes on California. It's very frustrating how they think a TEST is going to make Teachers highly qualified. I suppose we shouldn't expect too much since Bush was the one who started this. Maybe if I sign up to fight in Iraq they might wave the test, not.

• Is it summer yet???

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post
    Wow, I have no idea! I'm not sure if you even need to have it, if you cleared your credential before it was made mandatory. You'd have to call your HR or credential analyst for your district to find out, but then you run the risk of ratting yourself out. Can you get in touch with the university where you got your credential? They should be on top of the latest info. I just know I had to take it before I could get into my credential program.
    I am with you. I don't see why the need for CSET if the credential was already cleared. I think contacting the University or even CCTC (shudder) would be worthwhile.

You must have passed the MSAT then? CCTC won't issue even a preliminary without passing the appropriate meaningless (did I say that out loud?) exam, right? If the state says through issuance of your credential, that you're "highly qualified", then aren't you ok?
    Rally Rat, Oh how I've missed thee!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

GoofyWife and snappy, if you guys are Gold members, we do have a teacher's club. We'd love some help in keeping it going!

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by GoofyWife View Post
    If the state says through issuance of your credential, that you're "highly qualified", then aren't you ok?
    You'd think that would be the case, but, no. You must still prove that you are "Highly Qualified". I did it by passing the NTE test.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Yeah, that's part of why we have to do all of this BTSA junk now too.

Thanks for everyone's advice. It looks like I'm going to have to pass this CSET math section. It's so frustrating how I missed the cut off line off when the Government decided to implement this NCLB. I missed it by 4 months. I still have my clear credential and Master's degree. Just when I thought I was done with my schooling I have to take another test. Maybe there's a prep course I can take to prepare for the test. Does anyone know of a prep course designed to pass the CSET in Southern Cal,Los Angeles, Pasadena area? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post
    GoofyWife and snappy, if you guys are Gold members, we do have a teacher's club. We'd love some help in keeping it going!
    I didn't know about the teacher's club! Sounds like a good place to get/give information on today's educational process. Will look into it. The HOOPS they make people jump through to become Highly Qualified is crazy. Unless you're in the field I don't think people realize how frustrating it is having these things pop up!!!!!

• "Always On The Move..."

Quote Originally Posted by snappy View Post
    Thanks for everyone's advice. It looks like I'm going to have to pass this CSET math section. It's so frustrating how I missed the cut off line off when the Government decided to implement this NCLB. I missed it by 4 months. I still have my clear credential and Master's degree. Just when I thought I was done with my schooling I have to take another test. Maybe there's a prep course I can take to prepare for the test. Does anyone know of a prep course designed to pass the CSET in Southern Cal,Los Angeles, Pasadena area? Thanks.
    There are some GREAT study guides out there, usually you can find them at Border's and/or Barns and Noble. (Be forwarned, they are THICK!)

In my areas (also in CA), the University had special "Study Classes" that basically gave you "tricks" for taking the test. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

I had to do the CSET and the MSAT. Both were a joke. I've also watched potential teachers who would have been incredible finally give up and leave the profession as they just could not pass..(and usually by one or two points).

Good luck and hang in there!. My saying on all of this was, "I don't mind jumping through the hoops... I just wish they would quit setting the hoops on fire and dousing me with gasoline!"

I was one of those that got caught in the whole marathon "Bill Signing" that previous Gov "Duke" did before he left office. So, I am just finishing up my Tier II Special Ed Credential... which means that after I received my Tier I, I had to shell out another $17,000 (yup you read that right) for additional classes, just to KEEP it! And they wonder why people are leaving teaching in droves...)
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

I would like to see Government officials take these test and pass them. Ok, so we get "Highly Qualified" does that mean we get Highly Paid, I think NOT. I cannot see how a TEST will determine your teaching quality, does this make sense? Some people can take test and others can't.
    My main stink with this entire situation is: While earning my undergrad I was enrolled in a special teacher's program that required us to take an additional 10-15 courses of study, math,history,arts,reading,etc. This ofcourse delayed my grad.When finished I earned both my prelim and clear credential. Then Bush comes and implements this CSET and makes it Retro. Unfort. the retro date is 4 months prior to my receiving my Clear. I have my clear, but missed the date due to the extra classes. Do you think my University would reinburse me and my friends for the extra classes we took being in the teacher program? NOT. Anyway you look at it we're screwed. Ok, headhunters what type of job can an X teacher perform? Thanks...Options?

• Winter in Oceanside...

Snappy, your arguments are part of the big picture as to why I am no longer a teacher after a 10 year career. I think our education system is a mess - for teachers and students. There are marvelous teachers out there who are willing to sacrifice a lot to be a great teacher (as I am sure all of us on this site are ), but there are some really lousy ones out there too.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    Snappy, your arguments are part of the big picture as to why I am no longer a teacher after a 10 year career. I think our education system is a mess - for teachers and students. There are marvelous teachers out there who are willing to sacrifice a lot to be a great teacher (as I am sure all of us on this site are ), but there are some really lousy ones out there too.
    PrincessY,
    I have to agree with you 100% on yes there are some really lousy teachers out there, but I know there's a lot of teacher's including myself and you (x-teacher) who really care about the kids and go beyond the normal working hours. What's FRUSTRATING is how the system is pushing the great teacher's out into the private sector of making a living. If the system really did care about our schools and educators they would implement a system of checks and balances that secure the educational process. Instead the government developes TEST to determine who is highly qualified. The entire system is structured for failure and those of us on board are going down. It's really sad how the United States devalues the Education system and its teachers. The United States is losing two wars right now. The one in Iraq and how we educate our future. I use future very lightly considering how we teach our kids how to take test and not to use their own insight and knowledge.