• That Guy

Re-Cycling with an Ex-GF

Okay, so I am trying to make a major life decision, and I ask myself, "Self, where can I go to get outstanding, informed advice?"

Mice Chat, that's where!.................

Anyway, long story longer, my GF of three years and I broke up last October over various issues (none too exciting). Since that time I have dated quite a bit (I discovered if you are 30, no kids, never married, grad degree, most of your teeth, etc. you are pretty marketable) and tried to get an idea of what single life has to offer.

Lately I cannot help but think about my ex. She is an amazing woman, funny, smart, pretty, etc. I am thinking about seeing about getting back together. We have spoken about it, and she wants me to make a commitment to date exclusively and see what happens. My concern is that it has been ten months, and I would like for us to start back up slowly, and see what can happen, rather then just diving in head first. As you can imaging there is some scar tissue from the break-up but I think it can heal.

I have many friends and family that feel that I seem happier now that I am separated from her, but I think they just remember me being miserable at the end of our relationship, which is just as much my fault.

I guess the bottom line is do I give it a try again, or just know that the right thing happened, and the right person is still out there?

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Re: Re-Cycling with an Ex-GF

You gotta put your behind in your past...Er, um, I mean, put your past behind you. There's a reason it didn't work out once. Look forward, not back. You cannot restart the relationship without having past issues being at play. You can never go back. It's just impossible.

It's natural to look back fondly and sometimes even wistfully, but there is a reason that she's your ex. That is all.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

My friend was just telling me today how she had broken up with the guy that she later married. They were dating, broke up, got back together, and in some ways she really regrets that because now 35 years later she is getting divorced and it's awful.

I guess you could give it a try if the issues that made you miserable get fixed. If you step back into the same routines, that'd be bad.

• Hooterville, USA

If she's a great woman, don't waste another minute. Go get her before someone else discovers her qualities.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Man O Lantern

She sounds great....but is she a Disneyland princess??

Look forward, not backward. I think you're at the point that you're officially over her. You're over that invisible hump....and it seems like everyone I know who makes it as far as you have starts to look back with way too much fondness. The issues that were there between you two may still be there....and it sounds like you're doing okay on your own. Remember, you broke up for a reason.

If you think you'd like to start up with her again because you haven't found someone else, rather than starting back up with her because she is THE ONE, then keep moving along.

Good luck!! Keep us posted!

I actually have heard a lot of stories about folks who split up and later get married. If she's the one you want, then go stand by her.

• there's always my way...

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl
    You gotta put your behind in your past...Er, um, I mean, put your past behind you. There's a reason it didn't work out once. Look forward, not back. You cannot restart the relationship without having past issues being at play. You can never go back. It's just impossible.

It's natural to look back fondly and sometimes even wistfully, but there is a reason that she's your ex. That is all.
    Amen sister.... what a sister!? oh wait its Sunny G... GREAT ADVICE!!! FOLOW IT!
    Come to the dark side,
    we have cookies.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.DooDah
    Amen sister.... what a sister!? oh wait its Sunny G... GREAT ADVICE!!! FOLOW IT!
    Trust in the great SunnyG. She knows what she's talking about. And I'd never lead you astray.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• That Guy

Thanks very much for the input everyone, I appreciate it!!

I think you guys are right, the break-up did happen for the reason (besides the court order...) and I guess I shouldn't look back.. I guess like you said, you can’t help but play the ‘what-if’ game and second guess your actions…

I have been staying busy and dating, so I don't feel pressured like it's now or never, so perhaps I should keep on truckin.

Thanks again, you are all geniuses!

Respectfully,

MF