• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

IMAX rerelease for 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' beginning 9/7

It’s the kind of revelation that would melt the face of any die-hard Indiana Jones fan (this time, with joy): “Raiders of the Lost Ark,” the 1981 adventure film that introduced that globe-trotting archaeologist, will receive a one-week Imax release next month, Lucasfilm said on Tuesday.

“For me, it’s always been the bigger the screen, the better,” Steven Spielberg, who directed “Raiders of the Lost Ark” and the three subsequent “Indiana Jones” sequels, said Tuesday in a telephone interview. “It’s the only marked contrast we have to the generations that are seeing our movies on phones and hand-held platforms. It’s a complete relief to be able to see a film that many people have just experienced on a palm-sized platform technology, suddenly hurled at that them on an Imax-sized screen.”

Lucasfilm, the studio of the “Indiana Jones” executive producer George Lucas, said the Imax version of “Raiders of the Lost Ark” will receive a one-week theatrical release beginning on Sept. 7, in advance of the Blu-ray release of the Indiana Jones movies, which will go on sale Sept. 18.

A list of theaters that will be showing the film can be found online at Imax.com.

Mr. Spielberg, who with the sound designer Ben Burtt supervised the conversion of “Raiders of the Lost Ark” to Imax, said that no special effects or other visual elements of the film were changed. The audio, he said, had been enhanced for surround sound: “When the boulder is rolling, chasing Indy through the cave, you really feel the boulder in your stomach, the way you do when a marching band passes by, and you’re standing right next to it.”

But Mr. Spielberg — who is also in the process of converting his movie “Jurassic Park” to 3-D for an anniversary rerelease next year — said he had “no plans” to do Imax conversions of his other films, whether earlier efforts like “Jaws” or “Close Encounters of the Third Kind,” or any of the “Indiana Jones” sequels.

“‘Raiders’ is a movie of my own, that I can actually stand to watch from beginning to end,” Mr. Spielberg said. “In that sense, it has a special place in my heart. I don’t rewrite it in my mind; I’m not kicking myself for what I didn’t do. I’m just going along for the ride like everybody else. It’s one of the few films that I’ve directed that I can sit back objectively and observe and enjoy with my family or whoever I’m with, or even alone. Most of my other films, I’m hypercritical of them.”

'Raiders of the Lost Ark' to Receive Imax Rerelease - NYTimes.com

• Circle of Ancients

Re: IMAX rerelease for 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' beginning 9/7

Hmm, my favorite movie of all time on the big screen. I may have to do this even though all we have up here is "LieMax".

• -

Can't wait!
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

What...kinda sucks (unless Im wrong) is they are also have all 4 movies back on the big screen..and you cant see the first film in Imax..then see the rest in a normal theater...cause I love the third movie just as much and want to see that one too

• Disneyland PAP

^ Only the first film, Raiders of the Lost Ark, will be re-released to theatres in IMAX format for one week beginning September 7. All four Indiana Jones films are coming out on Blu-ray Disc on September 18. In essense, the theatrical IMAX release is a big publicity stunt to also promote the disc set coming out on Blu a week later. Capeesh?

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^no no AMC Theaters is also putting out ALL four movies back on the big screen.....so it just kinda sucks if I want to see both the first and third movie I have to pay like 40 bucks since you can just see the first in Imax the switch to the normal marathon

• Disneyland PAP

Just googled your claim and found the details. Sorry. It's apparently newer news.

INDIANA JONES Marathon Coming to AMC Theaters | Collider

I agree with you now, that's a tough, pricey call. I might end up watching Raiders in IMAX and then invest that extra $25 for the marathon on buying the Blu-ray set instead.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Gone2Disneyland View Post
    Just googled your claim and found the details. Sorry. It's apparently newer news.

INDIANA JONES Marathon Coming to AMC Theaters | Collider

I agree with you now, that's a tough, pricey call. I might end up watching Raiders in IMAX and then invest that extra $25 for the marathon on buying the Blu-ray set instead.
    Although I'm a huge fan of all the movies, the only one I'm really excited to see on the big screen again is Raiders.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

A one-day showing in a few theaters of a film shot in 35mm in a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, blown-up to IMAX 5/70mm with a 1.33:1 aspect ratio (although it's likely not even actual 70mm film anymore; new IMAX is just 4k digital in 1.33:1, which is less resolution than actual 70mm film).... nah, this isn't what I want. What I want is an actual full-blown theatrical re-release in the original format. OK, so 35mm prints are unlikely these days (as are 70mm blow-ups), but I'd accept a 4k digital print - in the original 2.35:1 aspect ratio. But don't just show it on one day. Make it a one-week or two-week engagement, on a really BIG screen, with a really nice movie program for sale in the lobby.

• Infinitized!

Looks like Raiders will be hitting the Imax here in Calgary. I'm there! Raiders and Doom are the only two I haven't seen on the big screen yet.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    A one-day showing in a few theaters of a film shot in 35mm in a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, blown-up to IMAX 5/70mm with a 1.33:1 aspect ratio (although it's likely not even actual 70mm film anymore; new IMAX is just 4k digital in 1.33:1, which is less resolution than actual 70mm film).... nah, this isn't what I want. What I want is an actual full-blown theatrical re-release in the original format. OK, so 35mm prints are unlikely these days (as are 70mm blow-ups), but I'd accept a 4k digital print - in the original 2.35:1 aspect ratio. But don't just show it on one day. Make it a one-week or two-week engagement, on a really BIG screen, with a really nice movie program for sale in the lobby.
    it is a one-week​ showing, not day.