• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Disney to buy Lucasfilm for $4.05 Billion

Under terms of the deal, Lucas will be paid half in cash and half in form of 40 million Disney shares according to Forbes. The deal includes Industrial Light and Magic, LucasArts and Skywalker Sound.

A Star Wars Episode 7 film is expected to be released in 2015 to be followed by more films 2-3 years later.
    Last edited by ALIASd; 10-30-2012 at 01:47 PM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Cool Yule

Re: Disney to buy Lucasfilm for $4.05 Billion

Great news, does it include Indy as well as Star Wars?

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

So far from what i read online around, it does include Star Wars but I have not found a source that lists out Indy franchise...

I would assume so?

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    Great news, does it include Indy as well as Star Wars?
    Quoting Jay Rasulo from earlier today:

"There are some encumberances with the first Star Wars films with Fox and some encumbrances with Indiana Jones with Paramount."

Iger added, while he "love the franchise", the Indiana Jones films were not a big factor in the deal because of Paramount's rights to the franchise.

Also Fox has no further distribution rights to any further Star Wars films.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Details of Episodes 7, 8 and 9 were also leaked... (or rather, dreamed up by a Disney/Star Wars fanboy)

Disneyland California Re(P)ort: Star Wars Sequel Trilogy Announced

• Cool Yule

Thanks for clearing that up. It'd be a shame if they didn't get it.

Just seen this on Collider:

The studioís concentration is on the Star Wars franchise, so as of now there are no plans to toy with Indiana Jones. The reason being that those films are tied up in some legal shambles with Paramount, who distributed the films. Indiana Jones was not part of the valuation of Lucasfilm when Disney was eyeing the acquisition.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• happiest bride on earth

The Yahoo/AP article I read said it did include Indiana Jones:

The deal includes Lucasfilm's prized high-tech production companies, Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound, as well as rights to the "Indiana Jones" franchise.
    Link to full articl:
    Disney to make new 'Star Wars' films, buy Lucas co - Yahoo! Finance
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy."

"There is really no secret about our approach. We keep moving forward - opening up new doors and doing new things - because we're curious. And curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. We're always exploring and experimenting. We call it 'Imagineering' - the blending of creative imagination with technical know-how."

-Walt Disney

• The Steampunk Dread Baron

Is this any surprise,on one hand Disney has been buying up the things that it has failed to make, given the fact the closest thing to a science fiction series was the Tron films. Going after demographics is one thing but getting the most successful franchise in fim history has got to be some sort of coup.
    The fountain of youth really is in Florida... thats why they built Walt Disney World where they did.

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

I am excited to see how this new business venture plays out. (Yes I signed back in after a hiatus just for that.)

I've been waiting for this announcement for years. Now that it's finally happened, I'm excited to sit back and see what Disney does!

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Hero 9 View Post
    I've been waiting for this announcement for years. Now that it's finally happened, I'm excited to sit back and see what Disney does!
    Me too!
    For the love of Disney....

• "What is thy bidding?"

Just hope Disney executes these movies better than the pre-quel Trilogy. However the prequels did get better with each addition but it was sure akward watching Phantom Menace for the first time after being used to characters like Chewie, Luke, Leia, Solo and Vader....

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg have closed deals to write installments of the new Star Wars trilogy, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter. The pair will write either Episode VIII or Episode IX -- their exact division of responsibilities is yet to be determined -- and also will come aboard to produce the films.

As THR previously reported, Oscar winner Michael Arndt (Toy Story 3, Little Miss Sunshine) is writing the script for Episode VII, the first of the new trilogy and the first Star Wars film to be made without the hands-on input of creator George Lucas.

Kasdan and Kinberg would join Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy as producers.

Word of Kasdan and Kinsberg's involvement began spilling out Tuesday, but Disney and Lucasfilm are declining to comment. Official announcements regarding the new Star Wars will appear on StarWars.com, according to the studio.

Kasdan is a Lucasfilm and Star Wars vet. He co-wrote 1980ís The Empire Strikes Back, still considered the movie seriesí zenith, as well as 1983ís Return of the Jedi. He also wrote the screenplay for Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Kinberg is co-writing the new X-Men movie, X-Men: Days of Future Past and was a producer on X-Men: First Class. He also is producing Cinderella for Disney.
    'Star Wars': Lawrence Kasdan, Simon Kinberg to Write, Produce - Hollywood Reporter