Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Banned User

Re: JJ Abrams to Direct Episode VII

My sister and I are both longtime Star Wars fans, going back to the OT (and I liked the prequels; didn't love 'em, but liked 'em OK). For both of us, the reaction was pretty much "meh."

It's not that Abrams is a bad choice; he's a decent director with a successful track record and, hopefully, he'll do the saga justice. He's just not our most ideal choice (then again, I was never all that thrilled with Richard Marquand being chosen as the director of Episode VI, especially after Irvin Kershner had done such a terrific job on Episode V, but Episode VI was pretty much where everything changed, because George's priorities had changed; and honestly, it's the weakest of the OT). Say what you will about the prequels, at least they were all directed by Lucas, so there was at least a certain expected consistency, even if the writing and directing weren't as satisfying (then again, the original Star Wars was criticized when it came out for its stilted dialogue and sometimes wooden acting, so the same criticisms leveled at the prequels weren't exactly surprising).

Who would I pick? I honestly don't know. Not Spielberg, that's for sure. He's already said he would never do it since it's "George's baby." Maybe Ron Howard, if he was up for it. That'd sorta be keeping it "in the family," given Howard's relationship with Lucas over the years (going back to American Graffiti). Maybe Frank Darabont, who's also worked with Lucas extensively over the years. Maybe even Kevin Smith, if he thought he could do it. He's certainly erudite enough to recognize that Episode V was the best of the entire series.

But it'd also be interesting to see if other directors could take a crack at it. David Fincher, for one, he'd be interesting (and he actually did work on Episode VI when he was a teenager). Maybe Antoine Fuqua. He's proven he can handle action adventure projects with good character development (Tears of the Sun & King Arthur, both of which did well, and the upcoming Olympus Has Fallen), but he also excels at smaller, character-driven films as well (Training Day, Brooklyn's Finest).

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see who they get to direct the next two after this one.

• Seasick

The Star Trek reboot did a good job combining action & special effects with interesting characters & relationships, a good story, and an appropriate amount of humour.

While much of this comes down to the writing, I think Star Wars is in good hands based on Abrams' track record.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Will he have the same formula that made star wars so awesome???

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• Heavy Breather

Lets just keep our expectations level. If we get too hyped up we'll eventually become disappointed. Just like with The Phantom Menace, which was probably the most over-hyped film of all time.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

• Restless Adventurer

I have reservations about Abrams...I mean, we are dealing with the Holy Grail. My fear is that he would change the basic tone of Star Wars. At least he is not scripting.

It's good to hear others' positive regards for Abrams. That gives me hope.

My theory about original trilogy over the prequels is this; in the originals, you followed three underdogs through three movies, and cheered for them every step of the way. In the prequels, the 3 primary characters were not consistent through the entire trilogy. Queen Amidala was a very strong character in the first film, and was almost non-existent in the last (she was just there to be pregnant). So I only hope that whoever scrots the next 3 films keeps this formula in mind: Don't be changing lead characters!

• Circle of Ancients

I just don't think the franchise could be ruined any more than it was for the prequels.

• "What is thy bidding?"

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I just don't think the franchise could be ruined any more than it was for the prequels.
    I dont know, the prequels got better with each movie. With "Revenge of the Sith" it tried to redeem the Anikan saga. Yeah, Jar Jar did haunt us throughout the prequels. Maybe JJ Abrams will have a comical nod to the Clumsy character or his offspring.

Abrams had to have read the plot/storyline of ep 7 to take it on. I imagine if it was weak he would not have touched it. Sooo!! there must be a pretty darsh gone good story for him to step up and do this. We may be hyping this up now but it couldn't be any worse than Phantom?...or could it?

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    Anyway, it'll be interesting to see who they get to direct the next two after this one.
    Just so it's not Richard Lester or Joel Schumacher. They have done more to ruin their respective franchises than anyone.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Doombuggy Rider

Ahhh the news which will spark healthy debate amongst STAR TREK (Paramount Studios) & STAR WARS (Walt Disney Pictures / Lucas Films) & rightfully so ....

I am shocked, but not surprised that JJ Abrams was chosen to Direct STAR WARS VII; yet here are a few things to ponder -

Kathleen Kennedy (head of Lucas Films) pursued JJ Abrams and managed to obtain him as a Director. Did her long working relationship with Paramount Studios (via the Indiana Jones franchise) gave he the right clout to do so (& come out winning) ? ....

Does JJ Abrams (along with his Production Co. BAD ROBOT) have some sort of contract clause (which allows him free reign to reboot the STAR TREK franchise, as well as pursue other projects outside of Paramount Studios)?

Did Paramount Studios only hire JJ Abrams (& his Production Co. BAD ROBOT) for two new STAR TREK movies (or was it a new contract for each successful sequel - with each sequel STAR TREK film only green lit for production IF the previous film makes a profit)? .....

Did the Walt Disney Co (under Kathleen Kennedy) purchase JJ Abrams away from Paramount Studios (like they purchase IRON MAN from Paramount Studios for a large sum of money + a % of profits - distribution rights onto dvd / blu ray / on demand)?

Regardless, of the precise answer(s). JJ Abrams is hired to direct (not write, or produce) one STAR WARS film. This means he does not have the same "free reign" as he had rebooting STAR TREK (in fact? Kathleen Kennedy will be in charge of this, with George Lucas peering over her shoulder). If you had asked me who I would want to direct any of the next three STAR WARS films? I would like to see Kenneth Branagh given a chance (I enjoyed his work on THOR, I think he will lend a Shakespearean touch that I enjoyed in EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (my all time favorite STAR WARS film) ....

To my fellow STAR WARS fans, let's be thankfully we're not getting STAR WARS II & III dumped into theatres as 3D re-releases. Let's hope Screenwriter Michael Arndt, doesn't offer characters like Jar Jar Binks to ruin a film (& let's hope we get real sets, filmed on location, with minimal use of CGI). Personally, I am pleased to see that Lawrence Kasdan (who wrote the scripts for RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, RETURN OF THE JEDI) has become part of the Production / Script Writing Team ....

'Star Wars': Lawrence Kasdan, Simon Kinberg to Write, Produce - Hollywood Reporter

C J

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123