• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Disney closing LucasArts game publisher.

Looks like Disney isnt leaving LucasFilm's purchase alone completely and are restructuring the gaming department. Possible layoffs? Well see!

After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games. As a result of this change, we've had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles.
    Source:Polygon | Game Informer

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

• Glad to hear: Flynn Lives

Re: Disney closing LucasArts game publisher.

Yet another move that Disney really doesn't know what they are doing in the video games space. I was hoping that Lucus Arts could put some extra life back into the Disney Interactive brands, instead they decide to shutter a good sudio and keep the Status Quo... Not like their other video game ventures are rolling in the dough right now.

(Disney Infinity looks like a money maker to me, but that is a hybryd game/toy and it remains to be seen if this model will work long-term).
    Daffy: How's this for a new team name: The Ducks!
    Bugs: Please! What kind of Mickey Mouse organization would name their team The Ducks?

I sensed a million video game fans crying through the force when this was announced. Goodbye 1313, Battlefront, Dark Forces, X-Wing, The Force Unleashed, Republic Commando and all the other great Lucas Arts game franchises.

A poster on another board probably stated my feelings about this situation best when they said Disney has now basically become a glorified holding company, with little creativity and no risk. That PR quote in the original post basically sums it up. First it was ABC and ESPN under Eisner, now it's Pixar, Marvel, and LucasFilm under Iger. Such a shame.

Today's LucasArts news can be summed up in two great Star Wars quotes:

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced."

and

"I have a bad feeling about this."

•   
    • Banned User

In a way this could be a good thing. In the movie, TV and entertainment software businesses it seems there's always downsizing and mergers for the sake of financial survival. The removal of one company almost always gives way to someone else's startup company. It's the laws of nature as they apply in the business world.

Still, I get where most of you are coming from. No one could be financially on top of it all more than Disney. If not Disney then WHO would have enough money that they could throw into a fresh and experimental idea? I recall when Steve Jobs helped fund an experiment that later became Pixar. Hopefully it won't all be about trimming back and Disney can get back to innovating sometime soon, but in the world of games and digital media, most everything is temporary with an expiration date already stamped on it.

Quote Originally Posted by xboxtravis7992 View Post
    I sensed a million video game fans crying through the force when this was announced. Goodbye 1313, Battlefront, Dark Forces, X-Wing, The Force Unleashed, Republic Commando and all the other great Lucas Arts game franchises.

I am one of those weeping...
    For the love of Disney....

we are very sad, there is a dark force in disney...my son wants nothing more to do with disney, even the parks.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Good luck to those who may be reading who lost their jobs.