Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Discussion - Star Wars Remakes - Who Would You Cast?

I would like it to be known that the sole purpose for this thread is for hypothetical discussion. Nothing serious about this, so you could see the word IF used around here a lot. I am not supporting a remake, its just a thought of IF it happened, what would you like to see?

Anyways that being said, it was another Star Wars reference in an episode of Family Guy that inspired this thought. (The one with Billy Dee Williams & the "cool side of the pillow.") Now I don't think episodes 4 through 6 should be remade, ever. Some might want to see 1 through 3 be re-done, but that's another separate topic for discussion. But the question & discussion for this thread that I came up with proposes an interesting topic or question. IF Episodes 4 through 6 came out today during this generation of films, if these characters were to be invented in this era, of today's stars who would you like to see cast in their roles? Now, I don't think anyone can replace Harrison Ford as Han Solo. He owned that character. Just like to me no one can fill in for Liam Neeson as Qui Gonn, or Ewan McGregor as the younger Obi Wan Kenobi. They owned those roles and I can't picture anyone else filling them. Maybe in 20 years I could with another generation of stars. Just not now. That's not to say that I cannot picture a new Han Solo, Princess Leia, or Lando Calrissian. Though Ford owned that character, IF the films came out today, I could picture say...... Liam or Chris Hemsworth as Han Solo. (I'd say Chris Pine too, but he's already in another JJ franchise remake.)

As for Leia, the only one I can picture to play her might be Amy Adams. Though she's more of a redhead, I can still picture her as a brunette. For her brother Luke, if New Hope was made today, they'd need a fresh faced kid to fill that role. For now, the only one that comes to mind would be Josh Hutcherson (Hunger Games). And lastly, the thought that inspired this whole thing, who would be good to play Lando? Of all the actors around today, one that comes to mind with a similar level of "coolness" but not too flashy, would be Don Cheadle. He can still pull off that smooth cool but still throw out a one liner or two to bring the same humor to the role. I liked him in the Oceans movies, as well as Crash and the 2nd & 3rd Iron Man films.

Feel free to offer any other thoughts as well as any other characters. I still don't consider the prequel trilogy as part of the discussion because they're too recent, having been out in the last 10 years. The original trilogy came out 30+ years ago. So please add your thoughts & opinions to this new discussion. Its not that we want a remake of them, its only IF they did and who you'd like to see in the role. Because we can't even begin to dream about who for what roles for the next film. Since we don't know what story lines they will focus on. And with the secretive Abrams at the helm, we probably won't know till the film is near its release.
    Last edited by stitchfanocala; 06-02-2013 at 11:39 AM.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Heavy Breather

Re: Discussion - Star Wars Remakes - Who Would You Cast?

I like your casting suggestions. If I could change either of them it would be Leia, I would cast Emma Stone in that role.

I can't think of anyone to play Obi Wan. Alec Guinness just defined that role so well that I don't think anybody else could replace it.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    I can't think of anyone to play Obi Wan. Alec Guinness just defined that role so well that I don't think anybody else could replace it.
    Patrick Stewart is easily just as articulate. He would give the character a completely different look, but he would bring the same amount of acting talent to the role.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Co-Host of USWP

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Patrick Stewart is easily just as articulate. He would give the character a completely different look, but he would bring the same amount of acting talent to the role.
    Now this really is intriguing. I'd LOVE to see Patrick Stewart re-create the role. I love his acting ability, he really is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by CreepyMonkey View Post
    Now this really is intriguing. I'd LOVE to see Patrick Stewart re-create the role. I love his acting ability, he really is amazing.
    I agree with you both, he is a very talent actor and he's a down to earth human being. I have gained a lot more respect for him after seeing a recent article online of him at a convention talking about his childhood and giving a fan a hug. But in regards to playing Obi Wan, I have just one problem with it.

He's bald.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Heavy Breather

Sure stitchfan, but he can grow a stache' and a goatee.

Yes, but the only thing that I've like about Picard more than Kirk, was that at least Jean Luc was not afraid to show that he's bald. (kind of a reference to an old Leno joke.)

• Co-Host of USWP

I can see Hutcherson as Luke, Amy Adams would probably be too old to play against him as Leia since she's almost twice his age (Though I think she might do the role justice). I'd like to see what Johnny Depp could do as Han Solo, though he's also getting pretty old to play such a role.

Thanks, Monkey. I didn't consider the age difference between Amy & Josh when considering the two, I was just thinking likeness or similarity to the role or the previous actors that played them. Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by CreepyMonkey View Post
    I can see Hutcherson as Luke, Amy Adams would probably be too old to play against him as Leia since she's almost twice his age (Though I think she might do the role justice). I'd like to see what Johnny Depp could do as Han Solo, though he's also getting pretty old to play such a role.
    Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    Thanks, Monkey. I didn't consider the age difference between Amy & Josh when considering the two, I was just thinking likeness or similarity to the role or the previous actors that played them. Good point.
    That being said though, what about Jennifer Lawrence for Leia? Hmm?

• Heavy Breather

Yes, the odds would definitely be in her favor .

• Co-Host of USWP

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    That being said though, what about Jennifer Lawrence for Leia? Hmm?
    Now there is a great idea!

• -

He may be a little too old now, but Laurence Fishburne a few years ago would have made a great Lando.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

He may be a little too old now, but Laurence Fishburne a few years ago would have made a great Lando.
    With the way that Laurence Fishburn handled a sword in the Matrix movies, he would've made a great Jedi. Not a better Mace Windu of course, because Samuel Jackson owned that role! Purple light saber and all!

• Circle of Ancients

I'm a HUGE Don Cheadle fan but I can't see him as Lando personally. He just doesn't have that "suave" that Lando has. For example, I don't think he could pull off the "Well, what have we hear" line without making it sound creepy. Billy Dee totally pulled it off.

As for who I think could pull it off, I'd have to say that Anthony Mackie would be a pretty good choice.

As for Episodes 1-3, I think those should definitely be remade after Episodes 7-9.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast