•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Is anyone else 'worried' about Star Wars under Disney?

From a standpoint of, taking a step back and viewing the big-budget tentpole films that could be classified as 'action'/summer type blockbuster-hopefuls Disney has released in the 2000's:

• Prince of Persia
    • Burtonís Alice in Wonderland
    • Oz The Great And Powerful
    • Sorcererís Apprentice
    • John Carter
    • Around The World in 80 Days
    • Pirates: On Stranger Tides
    • Tron: Legacy
    • And now, The Lone Ranger, which has pretty toxic early buzz and reviews.

And this is the company making new Star Wars films. Given the mediocre nature of pretty much all the ones I just named - how can anyone assume the best for the Star Wars universe? I am not, certainly. And those films even had proven talent who have made very good quality movies before behind them (Burtonís early work, Verbinskiís The Weather Man, The Ring, and Rango, Stantonís Finding Nemo, Wall-E and Toy Story 2, Sam Raimiís Evil Dead, Quick And The Dead, Drag Me To Hell, Spider-Man). So the involvement of J.J. Abrams not all that reassuring, either, to my way of thinking.

I'd like to hope given 'Star Wars' is special, the new films won't be in the league of the ones I just mentioned. But precedent is not on Disney's side here, bluntly. I am not optimistic we won't get a tepid, over-wrought, mediocre and forgettable pile of nonsense under the Star Wars banner. Maybe they'd be better off sending the project over to the Marvel creative 'brain trust' at this point, even, given success of The Avengers at being both funny and thrilling, a rousing film, especially compared to Disney live action's latest clunkers.

So, am I alone in thinking the recent past at Disney doesn't bode well for Star Wars overall....?

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Re: Is anyone else 'worried' about Star Wars under Disney?

I'm not too worried about it, your points have come to mind and i agree but it can't be worse than the prequels, although i loved Attack of the Clones i think Disney will make a better trilogy than the last one, plus i heard Star Trek was good so my hopes are set

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• Heavy Breather

It's in better hands now. I'm sure Disney will just handle the marketing and the distribution of the films while Lucasfilm will make the films. It'll be they same way as before, just without Lucas's help.

Besides maybe Disney will release the original versions on Blu-Ray next time they are re-released. When I yelled no in the Return of the Jedi Blu-Ray, I lost it, it made me look like the whiney emo kid I was in the prequels. So hopefully my new "Mouseter" will keep the Star Wars saga alive and well for years to come.

Oh and JJ Abrams directing Episode VII is a good sign too.

• Singing Drinker

I'm less worried about it in Disney's hands than I was when Lucas still had it.

I'm confident that the Mouse will not allow directorial bloat on a Lucasian scope with the new movies. I'm hopeful that scripts will have to go through edits to remove some of the more egregious slash fiction shoutouts. I'm even kinda optimistic that they'll ditch the entire "the Force is a bacterial infection, pray you never need antibiotics" angle.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

All fair enough points, thank you! I do hope my pessimism based on what Disney has actually delivered lately in the rough 'genre' proves to be unfounded.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

LOL Lord Vader

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• Heavy Breather