Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: 'Frozen' cools theatres 11/27/2013

Thank you!

Yes, Tangled was going to be a living painting, but finally didn't...¿anyone knows why? There is some concept art and pictures to prove it, but finally became a Shrek-like CG animated film.

And what about the king of elves ¿traditional or CG?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by SailorDuffy View Post
    Thank you!

Yes, Tangled was going to be a living painting, but finally didn't...¿anyone knows why? There is some concept art and pictures to prove it, but finally became a Shrek-like CG animated film.

And what about the king of elves ¿traditional or CG?

You're welcome.

Yes, 'Tangled' in it's 'Rapunzel Unbraided' form had a very unique look in it's concept pre-production stage. A very serious health issue caused a change in it's original directors and the film's animation direction as well. Newly deleveloped technology finally allowed the filmmakers to help craft her haair into a character and crack the story that had stymied the studio for decades prior. Far more advanced than any 'Shrek' film btw. 'KotE' looks to be of the similar lineage, classic elements with state-of-the-art production. The teams on these films are some of the best in the industry and certainly more than worth the wait to finally see them on the big screen.
    Last edited by ALIASd; 01-02-2012 at 11:49 AM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

I saw the concept art for Snow Queen back in 2003 when I visited the studios. They were beautiful. However, I'm sure that's all been scratched by now. Disney has to appeal to both boys and girls nowadays... hence changing Rapunzel to Tangled and Snow Queen to Frozen. It's all about marketing, of course.

• Hello Dolly.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    Not to be mixed up with this movie:Frozen (2010) - IMDb
    Clicking this thread I was thinking why are they re-releasing this movie? lol

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by DreamsofColor View Post
    Disney has to appeal to both boys and girls nowadays...
    Disney and every other major motion picture studio has to have their films appeal to everyone across all demos in order to recoup the huge amounts of money put into making a film, animated or not. Find an interview with a serious Director, Producer or Studio head saying otherwise.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Well you see, Disney realized that they made a big mistake when they changed the name of The Frog Princess to The Princess and the Frog. You'd think the title change would make sense: it gave us two nouns, two definite articles and a conjunction (see: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Beauty and the Beast). What they couldn't have realized is that our society has gone through a fundamental linguistic shift. We don't got no time for no titles that form no complete sentences! You can't Tweet something like that! Solitary adjectives is the wave of the future. So The Bear and the Bow is changed to Brave, and Rapunzel (which you'd think would be safe because it's only a proper name, but it's a whole 8 characters) to Tangled (7 characters), and The Snow Queen is Frozen. John Carter is still a proper name (and two words) but that'll have to do. At least it's no longer A Princess of Mars, which is two nouns, a possessive and an indefinite article, thank God. Remember, this is the company that needs to save money by elminating genetives!

• Disney + Menken fan

Wasn't 'John Carter' also named 'John Carter of Mars' at first? (which explains the 'J' 'C' AND 'M' on the poster
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-R_BmTmNb2O...ars-Poster.jpg
    So the longer 'John Carter of Mars' was shortened in just 'John Carter'

Other than that I'm really looking forward to seeing some concept art for Frozen

~Dex
    "Fish are friends! NOT food!"
    ~Finding Nemo

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

I believe that the newish-trend of shortening (i.e. 'John Carter of Mars') and the one-word punch titles says more about modern audiences attention spans and brand recall than anything else.

'Frozen' news as posted on 1/10 by Steve Hullett, Business Represententive of The Animation Guild, Local 839 IATSE:

"The script for Frozen had a good table read. Management liked it, and we're putting it up in story reels. They want a screening in the next couple of months ..."

"We're gonna make Frozen in about a year. That's what we seem to always get, a year. Every time we make the tight deadline, we make sure we'll get a tight deadline the next time ..."
    TAG Blog: The Disney Experience

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Twitter joke:

Wonder if they removed the Walt Disney from the title card so it won't read "Walt Disney's Frozen."
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Quote Originally Posted by Xedex View Post
    Wasn't 'John Carter' also named 'John Carter of Mars' at first?
    The original novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs was titled A Princess of Mars, and Disney was going to alter that to John Carter of Mars, and then finally John Carter. There is some speculation that the "JCM" logo was a result of the name change coming really late in the game. That might also have something to do with why it's not called "Tharked".

I think the big problem for me with using adjectives as titles is that they all sound sarcastic. I can't read "Tangled" without hearing it like "TANGLED!" in the same voice with which someone would shout "PWN'D!"

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

According to today's Hollywood Reporter actress Kristen Bell (Disney's 'You Again', 'When in Rome') will provide the speaking and singing voice as the lead for the upcoming animated feature, 'Frozen' directed by Chris Buck and produced by John Lasseter and Peter Del Vecho.

• Minion

ORDDU: How a movie is titled really DOES make a difference to many of us. Rapunzel is an established fairy tale and renaming it to Tangled is truly insulting to the tale as well as to the audience. The words one chooses to use in Life really do make a difference in how we are perceived by others--even if on a subtle level. Since Brave isn't based on a classical story, it's less noticable that a change has been made. But with an established classic it stands out like a sore thumb to change its title.

It's not entirely Disney's fault that they have to change the name to make it more appealing to a wider audience - times have changed, and people don't tend to take their sons to princess movies unless it's advertised as having a fair amount of action and adventure with it. I'm not a fan of the change, but Disney really has no choice but to go along with it. At least be thankful that they're still making princess/fairy tale films at all, when most of the other animation studios would only dare to do so if it were somewhat satirical and full of pop culture references (I'm referring to Shrek, of course).

Marketing-friendly name or not, I'm excited to finally see the Movie-Formally-Known-As-The-Snow-Queen getting a release date.

• Banned User

Can anyone tell me the story of "The Snow Queen"? I never heard this fairytale growing up. I looked on Wikipedia and the story they had there made no sense -- a demon taking a mirror to Heaven to embarrass God and then the mirror cracking into a billion pieces and shooting people in the eyes...I couldn't read any further than that.

What do you think Disney will do with "The Snow Queen"? Will it be another princess story -- with a princess somehow involved for the Princess Line?

I am not a very creative or imaginative person so I feel stupid sometimes because I can't see what the creative folks at Disney will do with something like this. I hate being so stupid and wish I was creative so I could be an Imagineer or an artist. Instead I just wish I was.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by DragoHarley View Post
    Can anyone tell me the story of "The Snow Queen"? I never heard this fairytale growing up. I looked on Wikipedia and the story they had there made no sense -- a demon taking a mirror to Heaven to embarrass God and then the mirror cracking into a billion pieces and shooting people in the eyes...I couldn't read any further than that.
    That part is really all backstory. The main plot involves two young friends, Kay and Gerda. One of the shards of the mirror falls into Kay's eye, causing him to see the world as an ugly, twisted place. The Snow Queen takes Kay away to be her consort and Gerda takes a long journey to the SQ's palace to rescue him. Along the way, she meets various odd characters. It's a very good story for today's Disney, as it reverses the traditional formula and shows the female character rescuing the male.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast